Help i think i am getting riped off $1953.25 repair bill. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 21st, 09, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Help i think i am getting riped off $1953.25 repair bill.

Ok i have a 94 Camaro 3.4l V6. I took the her into the shop. I am told that I need a new oilpan and gasket, the intake manifold gasket, some oil ring. The ideling computer had a malfunction and needs to be replaced. Then on top of that they told me that my K & N intake system was installed wrong and that i need the Fuel injectors flushed and throttle body cleaned. The bill comes up to $1953.25 am i getting riped off?
Dukesmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 21st, 09, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Help i think i am getting riped off $1953.25 repair bill.

sounds alright to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 21st, 09, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

really? wow idk what to do i am 17 i dont have that kind of money....
Old Jan 21st, 09, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino

My dealer would of probably charged you more...Unfortunately. Changing the oil pans on those if i can remember are a real pita.

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
AlexFolino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 21st, 09, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

How bad is the leak? How much oil does it use? The intake gasket may be making the oil pan look worse than it is. Drivability first then the leak if it's not causing problems.
Vegas69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 21st, 09, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im losing very little oil. He said that the oil was linking and draining down the back of the engine. He also said that the oil pan was damaged but i dont know how that happened. plus how is a air intake installed wrong? its a K & N cool air intake
Old Jan 21st, 09, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unhappy Help i think i am getting riped off $1953.25 repair bill.

Ok i have a 94 Camaro 3.4l V6. I took the her into the shop. I am told that I need a new oilpan and gasket, the intake manifold gasket, some oil ring. The ideling computer had a malfunction and needs to be replaced. Then on top of that they told me that my K & N intake system was installed wrong and that i need the Fuel injectors flushed and throttle body cleaned. The bill comes up to $1953.25 am i getting riped off?
Old Jan 21st, 09, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

You're young with a job and don't have a garage and know squat about cars then be prepared to pay - PERIOD. In other words, build a garage, learn about your rides and prey your wife understands your Fetish!

$1953.25 would be a good down payment for a garage rental or down payment towards a loan building one on your property.

Can you learn to be a mechanic?

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 21st, 09 at 10:13 PM.
Z15CAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 21st, 09, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I need my car fixed ASAP. i only have like 200 i know i can get more but not that much. And it sounds like the work would be really hard to do myself. or with the neighbors
Old Jan 22nd, 09, 05:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Hey, Travis...I'd have to go with Ron on this one (even if he is from the north ). Some of that mechanical isn't rocket scientist stuff...get yourself a good manual, and get your hands dirty. There'll be other stuff down the road that you may be doing.

capt
Old Jan 22nd, 09, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

first off, you need to tell us EXACTLY what is wrong with it, your posts are a bit confusing

you can do the oil pan gasket and intake gasket in your driveway with a jack and two jackstands

total prices for those gaskets, about $40

IIRC, oil pan gaskets are a 6 hour job, which is a $600 bill right there

im not sure what you mean by oil ring, rear main seal? piston oil ring? the rear main seal means you have to take your transmission off.. its about 3 days of work if you dont know what you're doing

but really, go out and buy a book, the tools you need, and the parts, and you can do all of that stuff yourself for under $200
victimizati0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 09, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

If it's not leaking that bad then forget it. If it's not running bad then don't flush the injectors. Why did you take it in?
Vegas69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 09, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Team Member

Send a message via ICQ to clwilcox33 Send a message via MSN to clwilcox33 Send a message via Yahoo to clwilcox33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
If it's not leaking that bad then forget it. If it's not running bad then don't flush the injectors. Why did you take it in?
That's the question I'd like to know. What caused you to take it in initially? If the leaks aren't bad, they don't have to be fixed right away as long as you keep a very good eye on the oil level. Like check it everytime you fill up w/ gas. Like someone else said, drivability first. Meaning, make it run right by focusing your attention, and what little money you can, on fixing what truly needs to be fixed so you can drive it without it breaking down.

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
clwilcox33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 09, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I had a '94 3.4 with a bad oil leak and it turned out to be the o-ring on the plug (for lack of a better term) where a distributor would normally go. Not sure if you can get to this piece very easy as I had the intake off before realizing the plug was even there. It might be worth the effort to try this first.

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
rojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesmaster View Post
Ask for a list of parts needed and then go to www.rockauto.com and look up each part... Ask for details on hours of labor and what they charge per hour.

An oil pan is $90.00, the computer is about $300 by the time they outsource it to the dealership to flash it. That's not including installation labor. Just the intake manifold gasket alone will run you about $800 - $1000 including labor.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in