93' Z28 Info and Suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

93' Z28 Info and Suggestions

Here's the deal. I gave my daughter a 93 Z28, with the LT1 motor and 6 speed trans for her graduation several years ago. She's pretty much thrashed the car and says if I want to take it and restore it, I can do that. Apparently she was told she probably overheated it and ruined the heads, and the clutch is bad, so it's just sitting. When that car was new, it was pretty @#$ fast! I'm may be older now, but have driven some awesome muscle cars back in the 60s, and this car was all that and more. Here's my question. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth putting money and time into the project, so... were all Z28s sold with the LT1 motor and 6 speed, or is this a somewhat unique combo? Also, if the heads are ruined, are replacements around? Are the LT1 heads unique? I've read that the LT1 motor isn't just a hotrodded 350 and most parts are unique to it. Any thoughts, comments and info on the Z28 are appreciated. (I had a 69 Z28 and this beats the heck out of that one)
Thanx for any help.
Dog
shoveldog81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 04:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: 93' Z28 Info and Suggestions

the z28's all came with the LT1 engine, but they came with the auto or the 6 speed, there is really nothing special about it.

aftermarket heads are easy to find.. not sure about the stock ones, although im sure you can easily find a set.

if by restoring it, you mean replacing the heads and clutch, i would say go for it, but if you are looking to do a complete restoration, i would say its not worth it, the car is only worth around $3500, and that price wont change much after putting a ton of money into it trying to restore it
victimizati0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

for sure, fix the drivetrain but dont restore the car its not worth much!!
SPARKY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 05:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Depending on how far gone this car is it might be worth the full restoration now (when parts are cheap and available) if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Ask some of us that had collectible late sixties cars that got a way.

Jeff
yellow69RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanx for the info. The car isn't wrecked, just got to figure out what the engine issue is, replace the clutch, etc. and fix up all the rattles, windows, etc. The head are what concerns me, since I'm assuming they are alum. Are they typical small block or, since I've read the LT1 uses "reverse coolant flow", are they somehow different?
Thanx again for any insight.
Shoveldog81
Old Feb 4th, 09, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

They are aluminum. The coolant actually flows thru the heads first then the block. Thats why they are reversed cooled. Otherwise no difference in the way they work. Camaro's are becoming worth more and more money each year as they dont make them "yet" again. Look at it this way, there are certain cars that are worth it and arent worth it. I look at it depending on how much work has to go into them.

You can find a LT1 cars that are in excellent condition for a decent amount of money.

If the car was in fact overheated, do a leak down test. I would also see if the block has any stress marks from the overheat depending on how hot it did get. You might of just lifted a head, warped one. Thats an easy fix. Otherwsie they are another small block chevy, with a few changes like Opti spark.

Here's a cool little bit of info on the LT1 engines.
http://www.hpsalvage.com/lt1.htm
CRAZY 350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 4th, 09, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Next time, buy your daughter a Yugo......
Old Feb 4th, 09, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ain't no next time. Each kids gets one, then after that they are on their own. Even that's better than I got.
Old Feb 4th, 09, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Ya really. Just amazing how the young kids today expect mom and dad to buy them a car. My dad had a great job and could have bought me something but if I had even suggested it, he would have died laughing.
Old Feb 5th, 09, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

if the heads are toast, AFR, Edelbrock and Trickflow make new aftermarket performance heads for the lt1

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...15053&D=315053

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...28975&D=328975
Old Feb 5th, 09, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

1 thing to add, if your going to tear the motor apart, might as well rebuild or replace the opti-spark, depending on the milage. i had a 93 z w/ a auto and the optispark was going bad. personally, i wouldnt do a full resto on it, fix the motor and drive it. good luck
Old Feb 5th, 09, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage

If you do a search,I remember reading about a LT4 upgrade.I dont remember what I read, but I think it was a large HP increase.Just my.02
langss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 6th, 09, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanx, guys. I think I'll pick the car up and begin checking it out. It's 1800 miles from me, but a guy I work with is headed that way for another reason, so the plan is to ride with him and rent a one-way trailer and bring it back. I'm used to working on trucks and older cars, so that crowded engine compartment will probably be the biggest challenge. I'm hoping each of the spark plugs is accessible enuf to do comp testing, etc. Since I plan on retiring in a couple of years, this'll be one of my projects. With any luck, IF I can get it back on the road and the fun ride it used to be, she'll get it back when I do the ole dirt nap.
Thanx again - any sugggestions, still welcome.
Old Feb 6th, 09, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

things to know about '93s : 4L60 trans - not computer controlled, last year for the removable prom chip, these are speed density tuned, there were several options on the trans/rear ratios (yes, trans ratios in 6speeds were different depending on rear ratio)

the "LT4" kit isn't worth the money imho

contact advanced inductions or lloyd elliot (search should turn up info) and get a nice matched heads/cam combo tailored for what you want out of the car

personally ... mine went 12.0s w/ stock heads/cam and 3.23 gears (auto w/ 3000 stall) ... be honest about the goals for the car and build accordingly ... no need for heads/cam etc if you want a really nice driver
fast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 20th, 10, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Update on the daughter's car. Drove the 1500 to see her graduate from West Texas A&M University, and hauled her car back. Figured out the overheating - a simple hose - tho it was tough to find, I replaced it, and it runs GREAT! Still needs a clutch real bad - actually shutters when pressed hard and the throw out bearing screams, but engine runs great. I'm thinking of actually driving it to work and back just to use up the gas that's in it - the gas is at least two years old, and really want to get it out of there.
I'll hold off on the clutch till winter when I have more time to play with it.
Thanx everyone for all the info.
Dog
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in