Need help - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 11th, 09, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Need help

Just bought a 1993 3.4 v6 camaro.

had the front brakes changed they needed it bad. The turn signals work but will not click in to place and stay blinking???? How do i fix that. There is a security light that always stays on?? Anyone know why??

The man lift is broken and the trunk lid will not open. Got that on order already.

The service engine soon light comes on and goes off all the time. Took the car to have it read and no codes flashed??? NE one know why???

The ABS INOP light stays on at all time??? Dont know why.

The car runs smooth and sounds good...

Can anyone help me out??
carmennikole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 12th, 09, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need help

The turn signals work but will not click in to place and stay blinking???? How do i fix that. There is a security light that always stays on?? Anyone know why??

If the indictator stalk doesn't "click into place" perhaps it's simply worn out ? Not sure what the "security light" is, take a photo and put it up on here. Someone will know.

The service engine soon light comes on and goes off all the time. Took the car to have it read and no codes flashed??? NE one know why???

There are a number of reasons why this will illuminate but if there are really no codes then perhaps it's short circuiting or the ECU is faulty in some way ? I would ask someone else to test it again for codes before making a decision. You really need a code or you could end up guessing a dozen parts are responsible and spend a fortune changing them all.

Perhaps somebody has fitting the wrong parts when you had the brakes done ? Take it back to the place that changed the brakes and ask them first. They might have broken or forgotten to connect something ?

I think you need to get under the car and have a look for yourself though. Check the front brakes and the O2 sensor while you're under there. These need replacing from time to time and I've found them hanging off on my cars in the past.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 12th, 09, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmennikole View Post
Just bought a 1993 3.4 v6 camaro.

had the front brakes changed they needed it bad. The turn signals work but will not click in to place and stay blinking???? How do i fix that. There is a security light that always stays on?? Anyone know why??

The man lift is broken and the trunk lid will not open. Got that on order already.

The car runs smooth and sounds good...

Can anyone help me out??
security light means there is a problem with your VATS (vehicle anti theft system) it deals with reading the little resistor chip in your key. it is very very common in 4th gen fbodies for the key to get dirty, and cause it, or even the wires inside of the dash to break. the BCM can also cause the light to come on.

if the light is coming on and off again, i would guess its the EGR, next time it comes on, you need to take it and get it scanned somewhere to know for sure

abs inop light stays on? i would guess a bad wheel speed sensor somewhere.. if the car detects that one or two wheels are spinning faster than the others for a certain amount of time, it will deactivate the abs
victimizati0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 12th, 09, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input I am going to take it to another car shop to have them look at it. I can get under the car and look but Umm I really dont know what I am looking for. My dad has been under it and hasnt really seen anything wrong. With it that he can tell.

I just love Camaro's and finally after 23 years bought one for myself I just hope I didnt buy one that is going to crap out on me in a month or two.

Now I gotta save up for the 1969 Camaro I have always wanted.

Again thanks guys
Old Mar 12th, 09, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Thanks for the input I am going to take it to another car shop to have them look at it. I can get under the car and look but Umm I really dont know what I am looking for. My dad has been under it and hasnt really seen anything wrong. With it that he can tell.

I just love Camaro's and finally after 23 years bought one for myself I just hope I didnt buy one that is going to crap out on me in a month or two.

Now I gotta save up for the 1969 Camaro I have always wanted.

Again thanks guys

well, you're not really going to find anything under the car. im not really sure where the wheel speed sensors are located at.. but im guessing that is your problem

where did you get the car scanned at? the car should save the SES light in the computer so if you get a code and it goes away it should be stored in there

i wouldnt worry about the car crapping out.. you havent described any horrible problems with it.. just some small quirks that shouldnt be too expensive to fix.

but for now, try and get some rubbing alcohol and clean the little ship on your key really good, and see if the security light turns off

if it doesnt, you can try the VATS bypass, which basically consists of using a voltmeter to check the ohms of the resistor on your key, and going to radio shack to buy a resistor of the same ohm rating, and sticking it in the wires under your dash that control the VATS.. it is a VERY common problem, and im sure almost everyone who has owned a 4th gen fbody has had their security light come on at one point or another

you just have to be careful, because if the problem gets any worse, your car will not start, and you will be stranded (although most of the time if you take the key out, wait 5min, and try it again it will start)

speaking of the ses light again, is this an auto or manual?

do you happen to notice if the light comes on if you are engine braking? im pretty sure the 3.4l engines have a vacuum operated egr, and when you engine brake, it opens the egr to burn some of your exhaust again, its common for them to get clogged with carbon your car will get a bad reading which throws a CEL
Old Mar 12th, 09, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Couple of suggestions to look for. As stated earlier the security light is part of the vats system. I would bet the wires coming of the ignition key cyl. on the colum are cut. The turn signal problem also could be a burned out bulb or corroded sockets in the tail lights. Those are easy to check, removed the lights and look at the bulbs. If they look good then wiggle the bulb around in the socket and see if they flicker off and on. On my 93 'bird the 3rd brake light bulbs were burned out. I replaced the 2 bulbs and the ABS light went off, something to look at also. The check engine light could be several things, a competent shop should be able to fix it. Hope this helps some.

RIP John Lingenfelter
(Oct. 6, 1945 - Dec. 25, 2003)
tall guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 12th, 09, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall guy View Post
Couple of suggestions to look for. As stated earlier the security light is part of the vats system. I would bet the wires coming of the ignition key cyl. on the colum are cut. The turn signal problem also could be a burned out bulb or corroded sockets in the tail lights. Those are easy to check, removed the lights and look at the bulbs. If they look good then wiggle the bulb around in the socket and see if they flicker off and on. On my 93 'bird the 3rd brake light bulbs were burned out. I replaced the 2 bulbs and the ABS light went off, something to look at also. The check engine light could be several things, a competent shop should be able to fix it. Hope this helps some.
WOW, i completely forgot about that

yes, on the 93-96 camaros i believe, if the brake light on the spoiler goes out, it will turn your abs light on (or is it the brake light?) one of those

but yeah, check that out first, i cant believe i didnt think of that

also, i was under the impression that his turnsignal lever is broken, meaning it wont stay on but he is able to hold it down and it will flash?

edit* also, what size wheels and tires are on it? putting staggered or non stock wheels can also trigger the abs/brake lights to come on
Old Mar 12th, 09, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

It has standard wheels on it. I am a girl and love after market wheels but they are not going on the car yet plus I am not wanting to show up any guys just yet. haha just kiding. The turn signal lever is broken which I have to get fixed but the lights work themselfs when I hold the lever up. But I will check out the lights to see if one of them is not working right and see if that is why the ABS INOP lite is staying one at all times.. Again thanks for the help I will be doing alot of things to this car. and I will have many more qyuestions for you'll i'm sure of that.

It is a Automatic which makes me but at the same tiem for what I paid for the car I just could not help myself. I have always had a 5-speed and I loved it but this one time I went Automatic.

Last edited by carmennikole; Mar 12th, 09 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 09, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here is a pic of my car
Old Mar 23rd, 09, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Perhaps somebody has fitting the wrong parts when you had the brakes done ? Take it back to the place that changed the brakes and ask them first. They might have broken or forgotten to connect something ?

hey thanks for letting me know that if the light is out that my abs light will come on. Because it was out and I am getting new bulbs tonight.
Old Mar 23rd, 09, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:

hey thanks for letting me know that if the light is out that my abs light will come on. Because it was out and I am getting new bulbs tonight.
yeah, its mostlikely the 3rd brake light

if not, i would look at a wheel speed sensor
Old Mar 24th, 09, 06:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well I got new bulbs for my 3rd brake light last night put them in and nothing happend Drove my car around the block and the absinop light is still on
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in