Loss of power and vibration need help!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 20th, 09, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Loss of power and vibration need help!!!

when im on the highway just cruising at bout 55 everything is fine but when i floor it the rpms go up and the car does not respond.its almost like the transmission is slipping but i have a 6 speed so is that a bad clutch???also once i do get the car up to 75 mph or better i get a vibration coming from the rear. it only does this when i going 75 mph or faster never underneath those speeds.it almost sounds like a rubbing noise but there doesnt look like anything is rubbing. please help your input is appreciated, thanks.
broncoman7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 20th, 09, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Loss of power and vibration need help!!!

I would suspect a loose clutch as one is not clamping to transfer the power from the engine to the drive axle, hence the vibration from the rear.

If you acquire a higher mph, and you let up on the go pedal to cruise at said speed, does the vibration go away? Clutch is now holding and no slippage.

You may need a heavier clutch as the faster one goes, more air friction on the front of the car, more power from the engine as it is now in its powerband, clutch cannot hold, so it slips.

You might smell the bellhousing to smell a burnt disc. Good sign clutch is slipping.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 21st, 09, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

sometimes i can smell it but other times i cant.also while im on the highway if i do let go of the gas the vibration is still there.
Old Mar 21st, 09, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoman7 View Post
sometimes i can smell it but other times i cant.also while im on the highway if i do let go of the gas the vibration is still there.
If the vibration is still there when you let off the gas, i suspect drive shaft is out of balance and the pion angle may be off which this is best ichecked with a drive on lift to keep the weight on the suspension.

As far as the car not wanting to get up to speed can you give us some more details on the car/motor and drive train. I had this same problem that i am now chasing and had found out that my drive shaft is to short also i haven't checked my pion angle yet... The other thing is i have an MSD ignition and as i was getting up to speed i found my self staring at the tack wondering why it wasn't pulling up to 6000rpm's... I found out yesterday that the pickup on the distributor was on its way out, it was giving me a reading with my timing light at say 3000rpm's it was at 36* total and then when i gave it more rpm's it started to re-tard on me by about 6* re-tard so this tells me why it didn't want to pull the 6000rpm mark under a load. I checked to make sure it wasn't cam walking with this new motor and its not. Good luck and if you can give us a little more details.
Old Mar 21st, 09, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

yea i do in fact have an msd ignition.also the car is a 5.7 liter 350 engine not sure about the mileage i want to say about 90000 miles on it. when i baught the car the guy wasnt sure because the engine was replaced.thanks for all your help so far its really helping me out. also the rear end i believe is stock, might be an auburn not sure.the car is a 1994 camaro z28. i also believe the tranny might be stock as well as the driveshaft.the car itself has 150000+ miles on it.hope this is helpful.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in