Keyless entry problem - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 28th, 09, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Keyless entry problem

I had just purchased a 99 camaro and Im having a problem with the keyless entry... The keyless transmitter doesnt seem to be working and I dont see why... I tryed holding the unlock and lock buttons down for 7 seconds to reprogram the system but no response what so ever... And it sucks because everytime I open my door I have 5 seconds to get the key in the ignition or else the alarm will go off... very annoying... Any ideas??? btw I replaced the battery in the transmitter so I know its not that
andreww2086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 28th, 09, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tech Team

Re: Keyless entry problem

In light of providing a response to your question.....I'd try and swing by a dealership and ask somebody in the service department if they have any ideas.
Frost Green '68 Coupe (yes they made Camaros that year); Dart Alum headed, dynamically balanced 327; Mighty Demon 750; 4sp; Cal-Tracs Rear Susp; ProCar Rally 1000's seats; 15" Rallys. (pretty plain-jane)
C-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 29th, 09, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Most likely whoever you bought the car from replaced the key fobs and did not have them programmed. A dealer has to do that. If it were as simple as just holding the buttons to program them, thieves would walk around with eBay sets of fobs and have a field day.

If you bought it from a person, ask them. If you bought it from a dealership, they are responsible. Did it ever work?

Also, it may be the battery contacts. If you replaced the battery then you're familiar with the metal shroud around the battery. I've had both for my Durango break off of the circuit board and had to resolder them.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 29th, 09, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ya I bought the vehicle from a dealer... Im not sure of this keyless transmitter ever working... The dealer said that he thought the battery was dead, obviously not lol... Anyways, do dealers charge to have these reprogrammed? And can you take it to any dealer?
Old Apr 29th, 09, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww2086 View Post
Ya I bought the vehicle from a dealer... Im not sure of this keyless transmitter ever working... The dealer said that he thought the battery was dead, obviously not lol... Anyways, do dealers charge to have these reprogrammed? And can you take it to any dealer?
Any GM dealer should be able do it, but they will most likely charge you and you'll definitely have to be able to prove that you own the car. Every now and then you get a gracious one who will do something like that for free. I think that's happened to me once.

If you bought it from a dealer, then go back there and have them either do it (if they are a GM dealer) or have them pay for it. Checking the fob is a bacic check that should have been done when they obtained the car and before they sold it.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 29th, 09, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is the procedure for programming a 98-02 Camaro remote....

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Remove the RADIO fuse.

3. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (as far as you can go without cranking the engine) 3 times within 5 second ending in the RUN position. The vehicle will verify entry into the programming mode by locking then unlocking the door locks.

4. Press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The vehicle will verify programming by locking then unlocking the door locks. Your new remote has been accepted and all existing remote codes have been erased.

5. Repeat the previous step for each additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters). You may program up to 4 transmitters. This must be done before the RADIO fuse is reinstalled.

6. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position. IMPORTANT: The remote keyless entry system will not be operational if the radio fuse is open.

7. Replace the RADIO fuse. If at any time it is necessary to restart the procedure, turn the ignition OFF and proceed again with step number 1.
Juicer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 30th, 09, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for the responses
Old Sep 13th, 11, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 1994 Camaro V6 5 speed. I am trying to program a new keyless entry remote.... the car didn't come with one, but the dealership checked the VIN and said it does have this option. The thing is I can't get the car to go into programming mode so I am unable to program the remote I just bought. Can anyone help me with this problem ..... any ideas why it's not going into program mode????
boadiccearose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 6th, 11, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

1995 and earlier Keyless Entry Programming

The Keyless Entry Receiver is capable of accepting Vehicle Access Code (VAC) programming from any two random Transmitters. One or two Transmitters can be programmed. When two Transmitters are programmed, they must be programmed during the same program sequence, one after the other but not simultaneously. The Transmitter is manufactured with a permanent VAC combination (one of over 4 billion combinations) that cannot be changed for the life of the Transmitter. The Receiver can only be programmed by the Transmitter when it is powered at the Battery input at connector C2 terminal "F" and the program input line is grounded to connector C1 terminal "A".

Programming procedure:
Ground the program input line by connecting a fused jumper at the Data Link Connector (DLC) from terminal "G" to terminal "A" (note: use terminal G and A for pre '95 12 pin DLC. A is the top right pin and G is the bottom left. Use terminals 4 and 8 for the '95 16 pin DLC. The 16 pin DLC connector is numbered top left (1) to top right (8) and bottom left (9) to bottom right (16) ). The Receiver will cycle the Door Lock Actuators within one to three seconds to acknowledge that the Receiver is in the "PROGRAM" mode.
Press any button on the Transmitter once. In response, the Receiver will cycle the Door Lock Actuators to acknowledge that a transmission has been received.
Press any button on the second Transmitter once. In response, the Receiver will cycle the Door Lock Actuators to acknowledge that a transmission has been received.
Remove the fused jumper from the DLC and verify system operation using all three Transmitter buttons.
Important
Always program both Transmitters when replacing a lost or damaged Transmitter. The first Transmitter Code programmed will always be in both memories until a second Transmitter is programmed within the same sequence.
The Keyless Entry System will not be operational if the program input line is left grounded.
Program only one vehicle Keyless Entry System at a time. If multiple vehicles are being programmed in close proximity simultaneously, it is possible that the same Transmitter could be trained to more than one Receiver.

let me know if it works, I gotta do it myself
ChevyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in