Easy Horse Power upgrade? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 30th, 09, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

Cool Easy Horse Power upgrade?

OK. My dad just bought an 02 Z28. His second Camaro purchase, the first is a 67 that he purchased new in 67. It's in my garage on a rotisserie currently. Enough about that, He is looking for bolt on hp upgrades. Can anyone recomend a few upgrades or combinations that will give him some "bang for his buck". He purchased this car from someone that received it in a will. So, we don't know much about it other than that the guy who passed bought it new, 17k miles, 5.7, 6 speed, t-tops. We are thinking it has 315hp, does that sound right? Also, it has 35th aniversary edition tags/plates inside... do all 02's have that?

Thanks guys,

Keith

67 Camaro - 327 - 4 on the floor with a 5th under the seat.
colek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 30th, 09, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Easy Horse Power upgrade?

New performance exhaust system, Nitrous, Ext...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

camsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Is this a Z car or an SS? I thought the anniversary car was a special edition of the SS, red with silver stripes. Does it have the factory hood scoop? That's how to tell the 315 hp SS from the otherwise similar 305 horse Z28.

First up for upgrades is the exhaust system. Put headers on and a true performance dual exhaust. Then install a hotter camshaft and while you have it apart install a low temp thermostat. Then go look for a shop who can tune the computer to make use of these components. By this point an aftermarket air intake should be on the car too. With the right parts these engines can make 400 hp.
Old Jul 31st, 09, 05:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tech Team

It is a Z car. So I will assume the HP is 305. I'm not sure what is up with the anniversary tags. This car is a mix between charcoal and gold... maybe puter? I had a 99 Silverado (that he has now) that is puter and it is almost a dead match. A cam upgrade may be a little extreme right now... maybe down the line somewhere. Is there a noticable difference with adding an air intake? What about a bigger throttle body or just tuning the computer or both?

One more thing: what makes the 10HP difference between the SS and the Z?

Old Jul 31st, 09, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

It's "pewter" for the color and all 2002 Camaros have the "35th Anniversary" badge just above the radio.

Don't bother with the throttle body unles you're making over 500hp.

By air intake no doubt speedshifter is refering to a lid. The stock lid has baffles to make it quieter. These baffles as well as cutting away part of the aircleaner holder and replacing the lid with one without baffles allows more air into the engine (engine is basically an air pump after all).

Also, all 01 and 02 LS1 F-bodies had an LS6 intake manifold without EGR.

With just an SLP lid (this is the only "SLP" item worth buying) my 02 Z28 went from 306rwhp to 311rwhp and from 320rwt to 323rwt. Headers, true duals (beware as the car isn't made for dual exhaust but it can be done) with an X-pipe all with Magnaflow mufflers dumped at the axle and a dynotune netted me 347rwhp and 357rwt.

All of the above coupled with some supension and tranny tricks and a 3400 stall converter netted me low 12's at ~110mph. Not to shabby for a car that could still be daily driven if I so chose.

What makes the hp difference between a Z28 and an SS is advertising hype and a fresh air (ducted) hood along with the free flowing lid.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 31st, 09, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tech Team

Thanks Jim, that's good info. That's were we'll start. I must have had golf on my mind when I typed in the color "put(t)er".

Old Jul 31st, 09, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

www.SLPonline.com is a good source for all that is 4th gen f body. i started with the flo pac induction and the loudmouth 1 exhaust and shaved 5 tenths of my 1/4 mile times
twozs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 1st, 09, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

All 2002's had the 35th anniversary dash emblem if that is what "35th aniversary edition tags/plates inside" you were referring to.
1987 Regal

hatdragracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 4th, 09, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Easy Horse Power upgrade?

Let's see,....where to begin?!!?
You want some long tube headers, either KOOKS or STAINLESS WORKS. (Keep in mind you will not pass emissions if your state does emissions test on your cars.) At this point, I would do the whole exhaust system including mufflers and high flow cats. Corsa makes a killer exhaust system.
I would do the Cold Air Intake as well. SLP make s good one, so does Vararam, but not sure if they make one for the Camaro?
Then, you can always do the intake, maf and cam and grab some serious horsepower. A good website is ls1tech.com, all the info you need.
GOOD LUCK!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 4th, 09, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I dont think anyone mentioned putting a performance computer chip in it. Jet chips make a programmable type that is very good. At about $300.00 and an hour or so to install its gotta be the best bang for the buck all the way around
67pat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 7th, 09, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I put the SLP long-tube tuned length headers in mine years ago and netted .4 of a second in the quarter. The SLP headers were ungodly expensive (1,170.00) but they came with the low back pressure cats and 3 inch Y-pipe so they mated perfectly to my factory option SLP low back pressure exhaust. It took me days to install them, there is no spare room, be ready for a short war to accomplish any long-tube header install on these cars. Especially on your back in the garage like I was.

Also note that about 6 months after install I started getting cat messages. I went to summitracing.com and found some O2 sims for the 2 rear O2 sensors (remember there are 4 O2 sensors on these cars, only install sims on the rears) and the message went away and I've passed every emission test since.

The intake is an obvious way to improve. As someone above mentioned, it's an air pump, air in and air out as quick and easy as possible makes more power. It also increases gas mileage if that's any consideration.

Those two improvements will net you more power and the least disruption to your factory machine. Past that you really have to make a plan and a budget and figure out what it's worth to you to increase power. Nothing is cheap for these engines from my experience but there are a host of products out there including intakes, throttle bodies, cams, rocker arms, ignition coils, maf sensors, fuel pumps and larger injectors, etc that can get you a few more horse each. Probably the only other reasonably priced addition would be nitrous. A small (75 hp) shot is quite cheap at well under a grand with literally no fuel system modification needed. The fuel system and ECM are capable of handling a 75 hp shot without modification.

I've also bought a handheld tuner (Hypertech) for mine but found it useful only for correcting the speedometer for my 3.73 rear gear and reading engine codes. It's pre-programmed with a "performance" curve but I can't tell the difference between it's tune and the stock tune. The change from 3.42 to 3.73 diff gears is subtle but noticeable. But once again, that's not some easily bolted on improvement.

If your thinking of doing a tune I suggest you buy a complete program if you own a laptop. As you get more and more interested in this you'll want more control of timing curves and fuel curves, etc. The handhelds I've found so far aren't that capable.

Past that, keep visiting these forums, tons of good advice from some really dedicated hot rodders is available. Good Luck
JT
JT1999CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 12th, 09, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67pat View Post
I dont think anyone mentioned putting a performance computer chip in it. Jet chips make a programmable type that is very good. At about $300.00 and an hour or so to install its gotta be the best bang for the buck all the way around
FYI: All OBDII and some OBDI cars have an EEPROM type memory and don't require a "chip" to recalibrate the ECM. Instead you use a laptop and a program (such as HPTuners) to reflash new settings, i.e., air fuel mixture, knock retardation and timing curve.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in