98 3800 hard start - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 29th, 09, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

98 3800 hard start

My daughter has a 98' camaro with a 3800 V-6 . It is having hard start issues when hot .It would also sputter and lose power over 3000 rpms . I pulled the fuel pump , which was loud , and found the main rubber line kinked . I repaired this and the car ran great for 3 weeks . This is an aftermarket type pump with rubber hose and hose clamps not the factory type with plastic hose and snap on fitting . The car is beginning to repeat the same problems and have starting problems . The pump is getting loud again . If you try and start the car and let off the key when it first fires it will eventually "catch up" and run ok . Other wise you have to stop and cycle the key completely off and retry . I am also having a hard time finding a pump assembly to replace the one in it . The factory replacement type pumps seem very expensive . My 2002 Trans Am LS1 does the same thing when it's hot just not near this bad . The T/A will cranks and crank , but fire when i let off the key . Any help i can get would be great .

Last edited by hotrod 68; Aug 29th, 09 at 11:42 PM.
hotrod 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 30th, 09, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: 98 3800 hard start

When you said "Let off the key from Start, it would catch up and run." I would say the ign switch might have burnt contacts or out of adjustment. You might wire in, for troubleshooting purposes, a toggle switch for ign power and make a mental note of results and compare to previous results.

The hose you used for the f/pump, may not be totally E85 compatible, hence, the reason GM used a plastic tube. You might try using reinforced vinyl tubing and for a science project, soak it for some time, a week?, in E85 and view the lab results. Vinyl tubing can be bought at most hardware stores. Also, use totally stainless steel clamps as E85 corrodes steel.

Pretty car and congrats to you & Mom on the maintenance assistant.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 30th, 09, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tech Team

I'll add a little more back ground . the car was bought new for my oldest daughter . About a year ago we had an ice day ( we are in Houston and it only happens once in 10 years and we can't drive in ice ) and she hit the side of an overpass and let it sit wrecked for 6 months . I bought the axles , bearings and seals to fix the mechanical part , but she never drove it again . Youngest daughter is coming up on 16 at this time and wants the car . I buy it back . Repaint , repair little problems then find out the fuel pump went out and my daughters "boyfriend" put a "better" fuel pump in it ( it also now has a flowmaster muffler ) . I think he put some kind of universal pump in it , but don't know . The clamps are stainless and the hose is not coming apart . I actually believe the pump is going bad , but this 98 V-6 seems to be sort of a 1 or 2 year only deal . I just don't know how to check out the pump or test it .

Thanks , she loves the car and is learning how to do some small repairs and normal maintience . Today she changed the third brake light bulbs and gave it a wash . I also watched her check the oil & coolant today . She was mad she missed Papa Johns free pizza day , being a Camaro owner and all .
Old Aug 30th, 09, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

I think the oil pressure sending unit has a second set of contacts to supply another path of f/pump power, make oil pressure, f/pump comes on.

However, if you believe the f/pump is of bad design, I would use a NAPA unit if you were going to change it again, you could jump power to it and see how it performs. Could also be a faulty connection from the power source to its relay to the pump itself and don't forget the ground side to complete the circuit.

Might get a Haynes manual to help diagnose, unless you already have one.
Good luck with school.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Old Nov 21st, 09, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tech Team

Just to update . I broke down and bought the Delphi ($$$$) fuel pump . I cleaned all the bulkhead connections by the rear axle and coated them with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion at the connections and replaced the fuel filter . Starting problem solved and engine ses light out within 3 days . Totally different car to drive now .
Old Nov 21st, 09, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Cool! Congrats.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in