180k on 3.8L?? buy it? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 5th, 09, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 180k on 3.8L?? buy it?

Im looking to buy a camaro and i have been for awhile. I found a 1997 RS with a 3.8L, T-tops, and power everything. the exterior and interior are in really nice shape but the motor had 180k on it? his asking price is $2900. im assuming that the owner took decent care of it becuase of the shape of the exterior and interior. so do you think it is a safe buy?

Ive done some research and ppl say that the 3.8L is solid but im looking for some more input.
Vandee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 6th, 09, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Re: 180k on 3.8L?? buy it?

Well 180k is a lot of miles and the car is probably going to need some parts like shocks, and bushings etc. If the cars overall condition is in good shape, I'd buy it. The 3.8 is a good engine. It the engine was maintained and the car was driven mostly highway I'd pick it up. I think a engine with 180k with highway miles will probably be in a better shaped than a 75k engine that was beat on.

I have 65000 on my 96rs and i've replaced only the water pump, one O2 sensor, an ebrake cable, and a power door lock switch in 13 years. I had a 3.8 in my 02 grand prix and just traded that car in with 136k. Only replaced the the intake manifold gasket. Everything else was normal maintainence stuff.
Old Sep 8th, 09, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you from? One thing about price is that it completely differs depending on where you are. The same is true in housing that is with cars.

I live in Indiana and you could easily do better then that deal here. I bought a 97 with 68k miles on it 2 years back for $3900. I had to fix a turn signal (which I'm still having problems with), I had to get one of the wheels sanded as the erosion had brokin the seal causing it to go flat over a weeks time. the muffler had a hole in it, so I had to buy a new one. Even after all that and getting the tranny serviced I had less then $5000 in it.

However, if you live in Calafornia, Florida, Texas, New York or somewhere thta has a stonger market you will not get the price I got. It may be worth traveling a little ways to find a deal.

As another poster said take it to a mechanic first (I did) and don't rush yourself. The economy is really bad and there are people that are forced to sell things like that extra sports car so they can feed there kids or make there house payments. The ball is in your court and there loss could easily be your gain.
Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 8th, 09, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tech Team

When you start getting that many miles on a car, expect to start working on it. Case in point: I bought a 1995 with a 172,000 mile 3.4 in it for my daughter three years ago for $2750. The body and interior were in good condition, but there were a few minor mechanical problems that I knew of going into the deal which were relatively easy fixes. But over the last two years I have replaced a window motor, AC compressor, starter, brake wheel cylinder, fuel pump, water pump, tie rod ends as well as the normal stuff like battery, tires, shocks, brakes, etc. I made all the repairs myself, but if I had to pay someone to do the work, I would have more invested than what the car is worth. So, just be prepared.
Xcelr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in