cluster question - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 31st, 10, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

cluster question

i have a 93' camaro base v6. can i replace the factory cluster with a 99-02' dash cluster?
darkpit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 1st, 10, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: cluster question

the gauge cluster is the same for the 97+ camaros, your gauges have an analog odometer, while the 97+ have a digital one.

it would take some mods to get it to work since the connectors are different, and you would also have to find a converter to convert the odometer to digital, since im assuming the analog ones used a speedo cable
victimizati0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the reply, i just bought one yesterday that goes to 150 from a 96' fit perfect, speedo is eletronic no cable. i had to replace the darn speed sensor and it was like 110 dollars. i freak over that one. but oh well. i keep wondering if should keep fixing it up as it only a 93' base.?
darkpit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 4th, 10, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Well you are kind of in a special situation a 93 is a completely different vehicle than a 94 so you need to be careful. It uses map and alot of power circuits and some wiring and controls are a little funny.

Analog does not mean its a mechanical gauge. Analog is a type of signal. Your speed sensor on any 4th gen is the same calibration there doesn't change unless you change gears.

Water temp went from analog to digital in the LS1. This would probably be the hardest part of the swap.

The odometer??? no signal to it, it uses your VSS to track miles and roll it over. From my understanding it is a stand alone part of the dash cluster. Even on the new ones, what sensor are you tracking mileage with that the dash needs a reading from?

The oil pressure is the same, the tach is different. The ls1 tach is calibrated for one signal per rev where the LT1 is 2 signals per rev. If you update your cluster you will get double your rpm, verify before you take her out though and rev it to 4 and find it was only half revs.

I doubt the connectors are much different if at all, but in reality its a piece of cake to repin these connects. Go to EFIconnection talk to Mike Noonan. He will have your electrical connectors for you and if you want you can pick up his pin removal tool or just go to a store and get a small flat head. probably take you 10 min to repin with the correct wiring diagrams.

You have no choice to fix it up as a 93 base unless you want to change alot of things. I put an LS1 and did a 6 speed swap in my 93, just a strange beast, the wiring wasn't bad though.
Radcannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in