Aggravating oxidation on headlight lens - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 21st, 10, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

Aggravating oxidation on headlight lens

Okay, I am sure there are alot of you out there who have opinions on the best method (or product) to get rid of the discusting oxidation on headlight lens.
I've talked to alot of guys at car shows and all say there is no escaping the high degree of "elbow" grease required regardless of any chosen product.
There's this one guy where I live who setup shop at a street corner and has been doing increasingly good business on headlights as a sole business! I hear tell he charges $40 a headlight which seems expensive, but maybe he's just covering his a** because of all the hard work. Others tell me to use a hand drill which obviously would make it better.
Still other opinions are to just spend the $$ and buy whole new OEM headlight lenses??
I counted 4-different products at my local Wal-Mart ranging from Mothers to McQuaries, to Turtle Wax and one off-brand which is $15.

Any other opinions out there??
tblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 21st, 10, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Aggravating oxidation on headlight lens

I've used a metal polish, one of them is Mr. Buffer and a t-shirt or towel.
All you can do is polish out the cloudiness - the cracks remain and warrants replacement assy. 3M Finesse III is good, alum wheel polish is good.
Mr. Buffer is internet only sales.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 22nd, 10, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

hi speed buffer and 3m polish and keep moving the buffer around dont let it sit in one spot.thats what we use at the dealership to do cars all the time, no need to go out and buy cleaning kits?
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

SPARKY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 28th, 10, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tech Team

...over the weekend I bought a McQuaries restore kit for $20. Hooked up the buffer wheel to my variable speed drill, turned on some oldies, popped a top on a brew and went to work.
Following the instructions I worked on each headlight for about 20-25 minutes and was fairly satisfied with the results.
Next w/e I may try again, but to me it seems like some oxidation spots may be permanent? ...we'll see next go round, but overall I am satisfied and they look pretty nice to me.
tblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 28th, 10, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

The composite headlights have a protective film that is extremely durable. This film is usually what discollors and cracks. The best way to get rid of the yellow, cracked or cloudy lense is to first remove/sand the coating off. ail lights dont have this coating and are much softer/easier to polish.

I use a DA sander with 220 paper to remove the film and come back with 600 and final sand with 1000 wet. You dont need the plastic specific polish, regular 3M polishing compounds work best with a high speed buffer/polisher. The 3M heavy duity polish makes quick work of things while a medium cut like finess it is good for the final polish.

If you take your time and do it correctly the lights will look like brand new.
Old Mar 29th, 10, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
The composite headlights have a protective film that is extremely durable. This film is usually what discollors and cracks. The best way to get rid of the yellow, cracked or cloudy lense is to first remove/sand the coating off. ail lights dont have this coating and are much softer/easier to polish.

I use a DA sander with 220 paper to remove the film and come back with 600 and final sand with 1000 wet. You dont need the plastic specific polish, regular 3M polishing compounds work best with a high speed buffer/polisher. The 3M heavy duity polish makes quick work of things while a medium cut like finess it is good for the final polish.

If you take your time and do it correctly the lights will look like brand new.
I sorta did the same on our 2 daily drivers. ('01 Mustang & '05 Corolla.)

Wet sanding, starting with 800, to 1000, to 1500, to 2000. Tape/mask off surrounding areas. It's o.k. for it (the tape) to get wet during sanding, just don't let it peel off when you start to use the buffer.
Grabbed my variable drill & got a Mothers powerball. Bought a bottle of the headlight cleaning stuff from the local parts store, buffed away to it looking brand spankin' new.
Took a little time, had the radio on in the garage, with a beer, or 2....but was worth it.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 11th, 10, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Post Re: Aggravating oxidation on headlight lens

Try here: http://www.doublehornproducts.com/home.php?cat=1
I used this on my 2001 and it works very well
Z28 Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 15th, 10, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

i have used headlight fix stuff before, and i found the best way is o use sandpaper in 3 steps, then use plastix polish

just be aware that once you do it, you need to use the polish every once in a while or the headlights will just get messed up again

i started with 800, then i used 1200, and finished with 1400
victimizati0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in