96 overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 16th, 13, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

96 overheating

Another overheating thread added lol. Searched through and didnt find a fix. Ok so ive got a 96 RS with a 3.8 automatic with a fresh rebuilt engine. Drove it myself for around 2 weeks and now its overheating. Everything has been replaced ie: water pump, radiator, 2 thermostats, and a temp sensor. The car does just fine down the highway but the fans wont come on to keep it cooled in traffic and turning the ac on makes no difference. I have swapped out the relays already and to no avail nothing is fixed. When i put the 2nd Tstat in it after replacing the temp sensor i warmed it up and it seemed to not build pressure on the upper radiator hose even after bleeding it, shut it off at around 250degrees and coolant shot out of the radiator so gauges are reading. Long story short no fans unless theyre run directly off of battery. Any thoughts?
goldsplat2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 16th, 13, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 96 overheating

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old Jun 16th, 13, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: 96 overheating

First - Welcome to Team CAMARO

Pretty obvious the answer lies in finding out why the Fan(s) are not coming on when required

If you jump the relay solenoid(s) terminal with 12vdc power does it trigger the relay and the fan(s) to come on?
If so the problem is not the relays.

Are you sure you changed the ECM Coolant temp sensor vs. the engine temp sensor? ( there are two)

I've found plenty of problems with wiring to the relays also, so be sure to check that there is the proper voltage to the power terminals.

You will need a schematic to properly troubleshoot, find and identify the relays and wiring connections involved.
If you don't have a repair manual with good diagrams it's just a guessing game - and a hard one to win ...

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Vintage 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 17th, 13, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the welcome! I replaced the 3 prong sensor underneath the throttle body. I havent jumped any relay terminals, just ran the fans directly off of battery to test them. I shall do that tomorrow morning when im at the car. Sadly i have no schematics or other diagrams for it. Is there a guide on here that i have missed?

Old Jun 17th, 13, 03:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Visit your local auto parts store and buy a Haynes manual.
Fans are suppose to come on around 215F and relays are controlled by the PCM and gets its temp input from the two-wire sensor, usually located around the thermostat housing.

Fans should come on with MAX A/C selected.
You have also burped all the air from the coolant system as well.
If you believe, and have felt the top rad hose, there is no pressure build-up, then replace the rad cap.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 17th, 13, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Im not finding a 2 pronged sensor on this one.. But by unplugging the three pronged plug on the intake plenum underneath the throttle body it turns the fans on for a short while and the gauge basicly gets deactivated. Testing the thermostat now to see if its bad.

Old Jun 17th, 13, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsplat2 View Post
But by unplugging the three pronged plug on the intake plenum underneath the throttle body it turns the fans on for a short while and the gauge basicly gets deactivated.
As this may be true as I do not my Haynes manual here at work in front of me.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 17th, 13, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Question Re: 96 overheating

Was the sensor you replaced in the head or down under the Thermostat housing

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Jun 17th, 13, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

The one thats unplugged. It seems to be working but not turnin the fans on. Thermostat was bad, bought a new and better murray 160 thermostat.

Old Jun 17th, 13, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Okay, in checking some quick info I found out the late 95/early 86 models switched to a single sensor (three vs. two prong) for ECT-Temp Gauge ...

So as long as new sensor is okay the problem is somewhere else.

Gonna throw something out there to be sure were chasing the right dog here
Have you actually checked the engine temp. to be sure it's what you're seeing on the gauge as 'Hot'
I have seen more than one gauge that did not read right for one reason or another.
One was just after the stereo was replaced - the 'big name' shop knocked the gauge connection and lead to a bad reading.
The other was just a bad gauge, it read @20~30 deg. hotter than the actual engine temp.
Both of these actually did turn the fans on when the engine got to the correct temp (@220) just like they were supposed to - it's just the gauge that was 'wrong'

Get an IR temp gun or use a good thermometer to get an accurate engine temp reading and see if it is the same as gauge reads.
A good auto shop will have a scan tool (not a 'code' reader ) and be able to monitor the actual temp via the sending unit sensor - may be work the price of some diagnostics to get an actual cause and stop buying non-needed parts ...

Old Jun 17th, 13, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Sadly at my dads shop an ir temp gun is not in stock :/ but i can assure that the gauge read around 180 whenever i went to swapping temp sensors and got the coolant all over my hand! Lol

Old Jun 17th, 13, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

If it helps to verify the temp, the oil pressure gauge is twitchy at around 230 degrees.

Old Jun 17th, 13, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

If you got 'hot' coolant on you hand and didn't suffer 2nd degree burns then the water wasn't actually anywhere near 180

I would think $15~20 for the Hanyes/Chilton manual from your local autoparts store would be the best investment you could make at this point to get the schematics to troubleshoot circuits - specially if you intend to continue to do most the work on this vehicle yourself. (heck - I probaly have 20 or more manuals in my shop that I only bought to fix one vehicle one time ... need a Jeep manual?)

And the oil gauge being 'twichy' only make me suspect an issue with gauge(s), dash or cluster wiring even more
It is electrical also ...

Old Jun 17th, 13, 02:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well alright thank you for your help mr vintage!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in