OBD1 motor, need to switch to OBD2 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 25th, 13, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

OBD1 motor, need to switch to OBD2

Hi guys

I am here for a friend. He needs someone to do the switch on his motor. He has booth. He is looking for a shop in Toronto's east end. Pickering, Ajax .....

I know nothing of these generation small blocks so I am just asking on what I got from him. If you need to know more ask me and I will look into it

Is there a reputable LT1 source in Toronto

Thanks for your time.

Al

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alsv8vair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 25th, 13, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: OBD1 motor, need to switch to OBD2

huh? i'm confused...

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
novaderrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 25th, 13, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

I believe in 1996 the LT1 On Board Diagnostic (ODB) became ODBII where as before that it was ODBI.

I think it would cost over a grand to replace all the computer and interface necessary to go from ODBI to II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 25th, 13, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tech Team

What he is doing is he has the motors apart. He is transplanting the older block into the newer car.

Your confused. I am lost.

Best thing may be is there someone in Toronto that could help be it reference for a shop familiar with LT1s

I am just the middle man.

Old Jun 26th, 13, 03:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Use the vehicle's OBD II sensors on the older engine and all is well, if I understand correctly.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 26th, 13, 05:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Need a little more info ? But whatever engine he uses he can buy a wire harnes, computor etc. From any of the companies you can find online that makes custom harnesses I think one is called 150 tune .com a question like this is very involved and probably cant be answered here . Contact the harness experts . Just google custom lt1 harness I have seen them on ebay also
swede1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 26th, 13, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsv8vair View Post
What he is doing is he has the motors apart. He is transplanting the older block into the newer car.
From this I would think all he has to do is reuse the computer(s), electronics' and wiring that were already in the newer car as it was already ODBII.

Old Jun 26th, 13, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
From this I would think all he has to do is reuse the computer(s), electronics' and wiring that were already in the newer car as it was already ODBII.
not enough info we dont know what the cars are ? year? if they are obdi or ii
Old Jun 26th, 13, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede1969 View Post
not enough info we dont know what the cars are ? year? if they are obdi or ii
How do you figure? From what I am reading he has a LT1 4th gen Camaro currently equipped with ODBII and transplanting an older LT1 that is ODBI into it. Doesn't really matter what vehicle the older block came out of as long as it is an LT1...

The only other thing it could be is he is replacing an LS1 with an LT1 and that's a lot bigger can of worms than the ODB stuff...

Old Jun 26th, 13, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
How do you figure? From what I am reading he has a LT1 4th gen Camaro currently equipped with ODBII and transplanting an older LT1 that is ODBI into it. Doesn't really matter what vehicle the older block came out of as long as it is an LT1...

The only other thing it could be is he is replacing an LS1 with an LT1 and that's a lot bigger can of worms than the ODB stuff...
show me where it says its currently equipted with obdii ? he says he wants it to be obdii ? we dont know what the car currently is or if the motors are obdi or obdii ? he doesnt even give us a year ? he just says newer and older ? but i guess your a mind reader ?
Old Jun 26th, 13, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

He says he's putting it in a newer car, he says the older engine is ODBI and needs to switch it to ODBII! I'm not a mind reader, he's putting an ODBI engine into an ODBII car... Factor into this he posted in a 4th gen forum and is talking LT1, which went from ODBI to ODBII with the '96 model year do to federal mandate. Then factor in there were only 2 years of ODBII LT1 Camaros ('96 and '97) and add in a little common sense; if he was installing an older ODBI LT1 into an newer but still ODBI car why would he want to go to the expense of switching to ODBII? What benefits are there? If he ever has to go through a smog check and the car is upgraded to ODBII the smog tech will reject the car because the VIN and books say the car is ODBI so it puts the tech on the spot, he has to falsify the smog report to get it through the system!

If you don't get it don't attack me for it! If he comes back and I don't have it correct I'll be glad to eat crow!

Old Jun 26th, 13, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tech Team

What he has is 96-97 Trans am. Blew the motor. Bought a LT1 from a 94 car. So yes he wants to put the older motor in the newer car.
I think he was trying to remove the timing chain and gears on one of the motors and it would not just come of like our old small blocks.
How does it remove.
He has not got the time to do it and really was looking for a shop in maybe in Toronto. East end.

DjD. Is correct. That is what he is doing.
Just has no time, looking for someone to do it.

Old Jun 26th, 13, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: OBD1 motor, need to switch to OBD2

The main difference between a gen.1 SBC and the LT1 type timing cover is the provision for the water pump drive in the newer cast cover design.

To remove the cover you just need to loosen and lower the front of the oil pan a little and then it comes off pretty easy.
It is located on dowels and can be pretty hard to get started off, but just go slow and be careful not to pry one area to much - work your way around evenly until it pops out far enough to clear dowels and then raise it slightly to get out of the pan seal ...

I wish I knew a good shop to refer him to in that area.
But really, any good tech that knows the LT1/LS engines should be able to do this work.

Be aware that the earlier engines may not have the provisions to mount all, or a given, sensor type used on the later engine - but, this is mainly due to a component or part difference that can usually be overcome with a simple parts swap.
Same goes for the tune parameters of the OBD-II controller. You will most likely need to swap the injector system and other controls to effectively keep the ECM viable for the new (older) block type.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Vintage 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in