2001 Front Turn Signals not working! - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 27th, 13, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

2001 Front Turn Signals not working!

Hi everyone! First post. I have a 2001 Camaro That i got recently from a relative and the front turn signals are not working. Now the lens on the driver side is busted in a small quarter sized spot from a while ago. They told me that if one of the lenses on the front of the car for the turn signals is broken or missing both of them will not work. Before i went out and bought a new lens (I have to anyways) I want to find out if this is true and why its not working. Also is there a workaround? Kinda need these!!! Thanks in advance.
Dox
th3p4r4d0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 27th, 13, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: 2001 Front Turn Signals not working!

1st - Welcome to Team CAMARO

Next ... for some reason the late 90's to early 00's F-bodies have some really funky light conditions
And I'm far from an expert on them
If you don't already have the Service Manual for this vehicle I would strongly suggest you make the $20 investment in it! Just the schematics will pay for themselves in this case. And if you intend to keep it and are planning on doing any work yourself you will definitely need it

So lets start with the 'broken' lens - yes, you should replace the lenses, if for no other reason than to keep water/$hit out of the housing and messing up the bulb bases and connections.
Next you need to check ALL the front bulbs - this includes the side (194 type) marker/turn lamps. If these are not working the turn system will not function properly.
And, to add to the , make sure the DRL lights are both on and working correctly while checking the system - or the turn system will not work correctly ...
Last, be sure to check the flashers and relays in the system to be sure they are working correctly.

One last checky-thingy - have you tried turning on the 4-way/emergency flashers and see if all the corner/turning bulbs light up?
This can be a quick bulb check many times ...

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Vintage 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 27th, 13, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll have to check the 4 way emergency light. I'm assuming its the emergency signal button haha. All the other lights on the front work. And all the back lights too. Its just the two turn signals. I guess they stopped when the front ended something. Which broke the lens. Only part that got damaged.
Old Jun 27th, 13, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

No go on hazards. Lights didn't come up.
Old Jun 27th, 13, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

I think the front are controlled by the BCM, Body Control Module, as mine are on all the time, but work as normal when another function is selected.
I said I think they are.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 27th, 13, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: 2001 Front Turn Signals not working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I think the front are controlled by the BCM, Body Control Module ...
... I said I think they are.
As Ev points out - 'we're' "thinking" (vs. knowing) on this
Which is why we need valid schematics
You can't even figure out a license plate light problem on many vehicles without schematics - probably hooked to the RAP-Power system so you don't trip or fall in a ditch walking behind on a dark night

I can't recall what year they went to full BCM (body control module) systems on these. But mid 90's sounds right.

If the Hazard system was also a no-go in testing, then I would suspect a control module/relay issue.
Hopefully you have checked each individual lmp effected by the system by now. I would consider this a prudent first step before going further.
Remember these are all Dual-element lamps and serve more than one function - IIRC ...

A good wack with a vehicle is enough to jar connections loose, create shorted wiring or just break internal lamp elements many times.

You need to trace down items here that are in common to these systems;
- common power feed/distribution wiring
- common lamp element use
- common function of systems, as in flashing, constant on, tandem use with others.
Finding what all these systems has in common will often lead you to the problem source.

Hope some of this helps ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Jun 28th, 13, 03:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

This might help:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/7752004-post72.html
Old Jun 28th, 13, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Those schematics unfortunately are just for engine functions.
But they were interesting to read through

I looked through a couple manuals and schematics I have for similar, but not the same, year GM thingys.
The one thing they all seem to have in common are two(2) systems that route and enable the signal (turn/hazard) lighting. These are pre-BCM models, as is yours - most likely anyway.
First is the 'Turn/Hazard' activation switch. This is located in the steering column as you would imagine ... This unit routes the signal from the trun or hazard systems 'Blinker' relay to both the front and rear lighting systems for the given function you've selected via the turn lever or the hazard switch.
Next is the DRL Module - this is a control box that sorts and routes the outputs to the lights to allow them to perform the needed function at the time. So if you turn on the left 'blinker' signal it interrupts that front lamp's DRL function and allows it to 'blink' while retaining DRL function to the right front system ...

My 'guess' at this time, as you indicated no rear hazard light function during that test, is that the Turn/Hazard switch is bad or failed (as long as both fuses, feeding the turn and hazard functions, are okay) and is not routing power to any of the lamps - as it is the only unit I see in common ...

Might want to start your testing there.

Old Jun 28th, 13, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Back turn signals worked with hazard lights on. Sorry I forgot to mention it. Gonna take it to a mechanic. I'm not too savy with all the car jargon being thrown out to me haha
Old Jun 28th, 13, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

After checking my Haynes manual, if the vehicle has a DRL module, the front lights go through it. Without DRL, direct shot from hazard switch and turn signal switch.

Follow light green for left bulb, dark green for right bulb. Where the DRL module is located on the vehicle, the manual did not point it out, not even listed in the manual index.
Old Jun 28th, 13, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

If the rear lights ARE working ... Then it's your DRL Module causing the issue

You can have it replaced - to the tune of OVER $300 in the part alone
Plus labor, @1 hour ... Unless you get a 'Rube' that doesn't know what they're doing and then the sky is the limit

Or, you can go to wrecking yard and get one for @$50-100.
Easy to install - pull radio and module is in back and above.

Or ... You can bypass the DRL system and not have anymore problems
Here's a good write-up for doing it - http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-...y-works-14885/

I didn't go into it before thinking the rear lights were out also.

You type ever so slightly faster than I do Ev

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jun 28th, 13 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Dig at Ev ...
Old Jun 28th, 13, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Twenty-three words per minute and only three mistakes - I'm smokin'...LOL
Old Jun 28th, 13, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

You speed demond you
I'm not sure I can even think at 23 words a min.
(I think I can still remember 23 - or so - words though )

Unfortunately the OP will probably not see the follow-up prior to spending a fortune fixing it ...

The DRL system isn't required by any law for his vehicle, so they can be bypassed and the auto-headlights used for visibility.
Heck, the next two biggest auto company's (Furd & Toyoder) didn't even have the systems ...

Old Jun 28th, 13, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

I can relate - forget what I was writing in the middle of a sentence...
Old Jul 5th, 13, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Didnt have time to take it in to the mechanic yet. So basically what your saying is if i follow that guide (I am not paying 300 dollars for something like a turn signal fix) than the front turn signals should start working again? I really hate driving without them for fear of getting pulled over.
Dox
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in