95 z-28 runs fine and then will die - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 1st, 13, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

95 z-28 runs fine and then will die

Recently purchased a 95 Z-28 with a new Gm crate motor and less then 1500 miles on it. Beautiful convertible and love the car, however I drove it home which was over 400 miles one way and it ran great and no issues. However in the last cpl of days I have driven it and it has been running great until I get to a stop light and it will die. It will not start again until after sitting for like 5 mins and then starts right up. Today it did this to me at a stoplight and I waited in the lane with flashers on and it started only to get me to the next stoplight and did it again. Was able to coast into a parking lot and sat and waited and it started right up and I drove it for about 30 mins with no more issues. This car has a new fuel pump and fuel line on it and at times I smell raw gas but unable to find a leak anywhere and may not even have anything to do with this problem. Any one have any ideas on where to start or what this might be? I will note that when driving home it was night and cool out and the times this has happened it has been during the day and temps are warmer. Today it is 80 when this happend! So again not sure even if that has anything to do with it. Thanks!
soonerlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 1st, 13, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: 95 z-28 runs fine and then will die

a common problem is the optispark distributor it sits in front of the engine the lt1 is very different from any other v8 . im not saying for sure but they are known to be problematic .
swede1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 1st, 13, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

It is worth checking out! Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 13, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

went a pulled paperwork for car and optispark was purchased new with the motor in April of this year. Could this be faulty??
Old Jul 1st, 13, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I have seen new parts go bad . Anythings possible ? And it is a common problem if it ends up being the problem they do make an upgraded model check summit .
swede1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tested distributor and it is not it as I agree swede1969 I have purchased many new parts to have them be junk. Called the previous owner and it seems that he had this problem when putting in the fuel pumps. With the last pump he drove the car for about 250 miles and did not have an issue so figured problem was resolved. THinking it may be a relay problem as it is not the fuse for the pump as I have checked that. Had it in the shop this morning and can not find a leak anywhere in regards to fuel and did figure out the fuel smell is coming from under the hood and not towards the back of the car as I had previously assumed. So going to check fuel pressure and check regulator. If that checks then thinking it may be a relay somewhere between pump and motor that may get hot and shut down and then when cool again lets the car start. so let the search begin. Thanks swede1969! Please if you have other ideas I would love the hear them!
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: 95 z-28 runs fine and then will die

If you suspect the relay is "bad" - just pull it and jumper connections #30 and #87 on the block and see if fuel pump now runs correctly.

I doubt it's a relay, but who knows ...

Have you checked/changed the fuel filter?
Have you hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and monitored pressures when it has 'no start' problem?

Is this a stick or auto?

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Vintage 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

checked fuel pressure it is at 38-43 as it needs to be. remove vacuum line and pressure shoots up 5 lbs as it should. However at the tip of the key pressure moves VERY slowly and am not sure if that is correct. Have not checked fuel pressure when it won't start as the times it has done this I have been in the middle of traffic so not very feasible at that time and of course while in the shop it runs awesome. Fuel filter is new and car is an auto.
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Pressure should be retained with key off, and should rise quickly once key is turned to 'on/start' the first time.

Could be weak pump ... do you know brand and history?
Constant operation with low fuel levels in tank are killers on these vehicles. Pump runs 'hot' and breaks syphon often.

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

fuel pump is oem as the previous pump put in was not so previous owner went back to oem and as stated drove the car for like 250 miles with no issue. Fuel pump has like 600 miles on it. Couple things I have noticed are : 1. when filling the car with fuel fuel gauge does not read full but between 3/4 and full somakes me waonder if that sensor in pump is off and 2. it keeps coming to mind that the times it has stalled it has been hot out and was hot when it did this to the previous owner. I am not sure if this honestly has anything to do with it but it just seems weird that it ran fine the 400 miles home at night with no issues at all. Car now shows between 1\4 and half full and have driven it to shop and home several times( this is about 20 blocks away) with no issues even sitting at a stop light waiting it has ran fine. Temp is 73 degrees and not baking hot. So going to fill tank again and see what happens. May stick fuel pressure regulator on it and timing light and drive it and see if it will die and what diagnostics will show with the gauges.
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I had this exact same problem with a 95 Z-28 that I bought brand new. However it didn't start doing it until after it was out of warranty. I ended up trading it before I figured out the problem. Mine would die and they start right back up sometimes.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
gphusker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well I am hoping to figure out this issue as this is such a beautiful car! The previous owner has almost 8k in this car with new paint, motor, fuel pump and lines, tires and the list goes on and I have the receipts for it all. THis is pretty much a brand new car with just a small hiccup. I keep hearing that this is a common issue esp with the 95 but have yet to find the "fix." I am just hoping hubby doesn't say enough and time to move it on and get something that we can depend on as right now scared to drive it too far and that is not what I got this car for. I want to cruise in this baby!
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: 95 z-28 runs fine and then will die

If your present checking of the fuel pressure and other obvious electrical doesn't pay off, you might want to Ohm each of the injectors - I've had two intermittent (and one just died ...) vehicles that turned out to be an injector going bad.
That particular injector was very low impedance and I suspect it would vary enough with heat that it in effect caused a 'short' or draw that was pulling the ECM to ground (shutting down injector circuits) periodically.
Finding the failing injector and replacing them has effectively fixed all of these vehicles and stopped them from stalling when warmed.
Long shot, but something to check ...

Old Jul 2nd, 13, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Worth a shot and willing to try whatever at this point to keep her running. Will be my next step tomorrow. Thank you for EVERYONES input! I so appreciate it!
Old Jul 2nd, 13, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Here is something I wanted to throw out there. I stopped by our local auto zone on my way back from shop. Had a guy wait for me to park and came right up to my car commenting on how beautiful he thought it was. Stated he had one pretty much like it he bought brand new and same year but sold it about 4 years ago. So I asked him about the issue I am having and he stated his did the same thing and after replacing opti, fuel pump, coils and the like he found out it was his VATS security system. Said he bypassed that and had no problems again. Was curious if any of you had heard of it going bad? I did some research and there seems to be at times some issues so was curious how common this problem might be. Called my Chevy dealer for a quote to possibly fix it if that was the problem and about fell over when they told me anywhere from 2-3k. Needless to say I think if that was the issue it would be the red hot rod's demise and will be parked with a for sale sign in it.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in