new radiator, overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 6th, 13, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

new radiator, overheating

Hi guys...so my old radiator blew out. I just installed a new one, and now its overheating. Im pretty sure that all the air was blead out. But now im not sure what to do. Should there be any air in the radiator at all? Its not overheating crazy right now, but usually it sits at 210. Its getting between 210 and the red at 260 i believe. Any ideas guys? I put a new thermostat in a few days ago. And a few weeks ago i put one of those safety release rad caps on. And its an 00 v6 btw, thamks guys
DavidGT650R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 6th, 13, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via ICQ to Steptoe
Re: new radiator, overheating

Checked the new thermostat before installing
210 is way to hot for a 180/ 185 thermostat and cooling in good working order
I strongly suggest u have another issue... check for HC/ COx gases in the radiator before going any further...
The only reason to ever change a radiator is if it leaks... bad core...
If it doesnt leak and runs hot then its blocked cores due to bad maintenance or bottom hose re enforcing spring has corroded away, restricting flow under higher rpms on the open road

Air If u think thats an issue , park the car facing up hillo and fill up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 6th, 13, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well 210 is where the gauge sits...i actually watched the true temp on my live data obd2 scanner. And the gauge showed 210 when it was actually like 160 and then it rose to like 220, i topped it off after i saw that and it cooled back off, i guess there was some air in it. And i replaced the radiator because it split down the side, it was the original, guess it just wore out
Old Jul 7th, 13, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Well 210 is where the gauge sits..
Check the gauge calibration.....
Sensor in a jug water connected to gauge and outter housing grounded... thermometer in the jug and heat up the jug recording the thermometer against the gauge.

Quote:
Its getting between 210 and the red at 260 i believe
The idiot light sensor comes on at 235 degs... thats a red light, shut down engine..
Get over that, radiator pressures get high, if a bit older radiator it will twisty and do things like split header tanks and seams...
Do that the engine over heat grammatically fast, blow head gaskets m crack heads etc.

Correct water level cold is about 2 1/2" below top and hot about 1 1/2 " below... stock radiator has stamped markings on the side...
If u over fill the excess water will blow out the over flow until correct levels are established

Old Jul 7th, 13, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Steps, he has 2000 camaro, the plastic tanks blew out, the cooling fan comes on a 228 deg. Do the the fans come on, with and with out the a/c???

Last edited by john68; Jul 7th, 13 at 03:31 PM. Reason: sorry 2 many 2's
john68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 7th, 13, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I understand what ypu are getting at with the gauge test steps, but am i correct in thinking that the gauge isnt exactly the most accurate? Isnt it more of a dummy gauge? Yeah i never really paid attention to the red temp number, i just do my best not to let it get to that point. Yes John68 my cooling fans come on at a certain temperature, and then they shut off after its colled down. They also automatically come on when the a/c is turned on. It seems to be doing fine now. Ive blead out the air, i drove it around and it spewed a little coolant out of the resivoir tank, which i guess its leveling its self off, i wont mess with it as long as it stays cooling. I just always thought that there shouldnt be air in the radiator at all
Old Jul 7th, 13, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Steps, he has 2000 camaro,
OK John, im out of here lol
I deal with computers for a living, therefore when it comes to afterwork... no computer late model cars...

Quote:
but am i correct in thinking that the gauge isnt exactly the most accurate?
that is a possibility...not just the gauge but I know other stuff, current draw of other component will often cause temp gauges to read wrong also...
in most cases a temp gauge in cars the 1/2 way point is the normal running temp out side that give or take a little bit, something is wrong...
And with modern cars , they have a sealed cooling system... any over flow goes into a holding tank ansd coolant sucked back when cools down ... the holding tank must be kept at the correct level so as not to suck air back in.....And any air bin the radiator part of the system automatically gets sent ot the over flow tank relieved out the holding tank... yes u are right, in these modern cares no air in the radiator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in