"noise problem" - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 29th, 13, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

"noise problem"

Ok, the car in question is a 96 Z28 A4. what I have is a rather annoying and on going problem with a squealing or chirping noise kind of like the noise when a small bearing goes bad or a bad belt, but louder and more metallic. This only happens at operating temps and when it's been at those temps for a bit.It sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine/torque converter,front of transmission. Originally, I discovered the crank was "walking". Replaced the long block. Noise still exists. I've replaced the torque converter(was high mileage anyways) had the transmission apart twice,replacing all the bearings and clutches both times, even though it wasn't needed, but again "just in case" .Even had the crank checked for end play again, the shop insist's its not moving, but it's the same type of noise. Everything on this car is new, to include pulley's, waterpump, alt, etc. what makes it even worse is that aside from this noise, everything runs just fine, no overheating, no shifting issues, I don't see a bunch of metal in the fluids and so forth. some have recommended that I "drive it till it breaks". Pretty bad advice if you ask me. I did attempt to record the noise and post it so I could provide a link, bit i couldn't hear it on the video. right now I'm grasping at straws. I'd really rather not drive it till it breaks, especially considering the money I've already put into it.
shane smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 29th, 13, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: "noise problem"

You don't mention is it is making this noise while idling in park or while driving. Does it get louder with rpm or speed? Does it speed up/slow down with rpm/speed? I've used a mechanics stethoscope that I got from Harbor Freight to isolate a couple car noises over the past year. I think it was $5.00. I recently had disheartening noise in my DD and had a bad U joint. Sounded like a brake issue or wheel bearing initially. Your noise could be about anything.

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
Fried Okra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 30th, 13, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

It happens in park, drive, neutral, usually when accelerating and braking. as it reaches 'steady" rpms(cruising/idling) I don't hear it. I can duplicate the noise by having it park or neutral running it up to 3000 or so rps, holding for a bit then letting off. As the rmps drop, the noise appears.I already have a mechanic's stethoscope. Myself and every one I've had look at all have come to the same consensus that it's coming from the area previously mentioned, we just can't seem to find anything.(myself, several mechanics at a local shop and a legitimate transmission 'guru" that has a shop) There is also the 'gear" at the rear of the starter that attaches to the flywheel. I have considered this, but one would think if it were something to do with that, the starter would have "died" some time ago.
shane smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 30th, 13, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

It may be the belt tensioner (idler pulley). I once had a 96 Z28 that made a chirping noise upon start and at certain RPM's and that's what it turned out to be.

But, since you say it's coming from the engine/tranny interface area I'd be looking at the flexplate, something like a broken weld where the ring gear is welded to the flexplate.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 9th, 13, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage

x2 on the tensioner. Spray some WD40 on the various pulley bearings and see if the noise stops.
arocars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in