Brake pads will not fit on 1998 camaro 3.8 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 3rd, 13, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

Brake pads will not fit on 1998 camaro 3.8

On the driver side, the pads fit (from autozone premium pads) but the rotor wont turn because it is so tight... on the passenger side the caliper wont go on at all. it seems like the pads are to thick. they are the right ones because i searched the number for the order on the box and they match the ones on the internet. its not that the pistons arent compressed enough because i compressed them as hard as i can. i compressed the pass. side more than the drivers side and the drivers still got on but is too tight for the rotor to turn. why the heck wont the caliper go on the passenger rotor?
wwejj0926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 13, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Brake pads will not fit on 1998 camaro 3.8

What did you use or how did you compress each piston into each caliper?
Old Sep 3rd, 13, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Same ?? here about what was used. I always use a small C-clamp to compress the pistons. Are they trying to go on the rotor? Or is the pads just way too thick?
Smitty68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 13, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tech Team

NH69Z28RS I was using the loan a tool caliper compressor from autozone. And on each piston i pressed it in with the tool. And Smitty68 they are trying to go on the rotor. But when the pads forcefully go over the rotor, there is some kind of lip on the top and bottom of the caliper bracket where it wont allow it to go over that. When I take the pads off and put them on it fits.
Old Sep 3rd, 13, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tech Team

*And I took the whole bracket off the rotor when it has the lip. When I just took off the caliper it self and fit the pads in it would align right
Old Sep 4th, 13, 04:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Can you snap a pic of the caliper with the new pads installed and with them out? Hopefully one of us can help get you going.
Old Sep 4th, 13, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Okay, sounds like you have the process down correctly as far as compressing the caliper pistons.

Are the calipers new, or are you replacing pads on an existing setup?

The lip you describe is raising my curiosity, I agree some photos would be most helpful.

Also, if I'm reading your post correctly, without the caliper mounting bracket in place, the calipers with the pads installed do fit over the rotors. It's the lip that's preventing them from sliding into place when the mounting bracket is there. With this in mind and assuming I understand the situation correctly, how about the following non-elegant solution;

Will they fit into place if you loosen the wheel bearing retaining nut so the rotor can move enough to allow the calipers to be installed and get past the lip, then tighten the wheel bearing nut and install you cotter pin?

Not an ideal solution but possibly an option?
Old Sep 4th, 13, 07:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tech Team

I was having the same problem with my daughters 2000 z28 a while back it was not the pistons hanging up, but the guide pins that fit into the abutment bracket were seizing up and not letting the caliper slide in and out completely. After removing the pins and lubing them everything worked great .
realz69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 4th, 13, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tech Team

Smitty68 Yes I will try to get pics as soon as possible. NH69Z28RS yes I can get the pads on with the bracket but without the actual caliper. and my wheel brarings do not have a retaining nut with cotter pin because the bracket holds the rotor on. its attatched to the knuckle. and sorry but i dont have the camaro with me right now. its at my grandma's house. but im pretty sure the pads with the caliper would not fit over the rotor. im not sure. ill update yall when i get there and see it. thanks for helping guys. and realz69 where are the pins located on this bracket?
Old Sep 4th, 13, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tech Team

At the top and bottom of the caliper is a bolt that goes thru the caliper into an aligment pin that has two flat sides on it to slip a wrench onto. unscrew the bolts all the way and the caliper will come off the bracket the pins are inboard going into bracket pull pins out and lube them i will post pictures in a.m. of whats going on and how it looks, to dark outside right now but will have photos you need thursday.
realz69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 4th, 13, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Kinda what I was thinking also Dan on the pins. I always put antiseize on mine as stated above.
Old Sep 10th, 13, 06:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tech Team

Thank you all for your help. Realz69 it was the guide pins. They were seized so much that I messed up the boots to the caliper putting it on and had to get a new caliper and bracket. I got the other one off. Now I gotta another problem about it starting. I bought a brand new battery. I turned my camaro on after the brake job to test drive it and it started. it seemed like it made kind of a funny sound when it started but it could just be in my head. anyways the speedometer started to fluctuate at idle and the RPM's remained the same. I noticed i had the head lights unplugged since i replaced the fender and bumper. so i turned the car off and plugged in the headlights. i started the car and now it wont start it just clicks. its a brand new battery and i tested the voltage and it was fine. i got the starter removed and test it and it fine. but im wondering if a fuse was blown because all the wires going through the grommet in doors is hooked to nothing. power window wires and the speaker. its because i changed the door and im gonna put my old manual window regulator in it. could it be that some of these wires that are hooked to nothing be touching metal and linked in with the head lights and blowing a fuse not causing it to start? if not what else could it be?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in