1996 camaro cranks and then dies - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 4th, 13, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 1996 camaro cranks and then dies

My gf called me one day and told me the camaro wouldnt run. The next day i went to go look at it and the first thing i did was hop in it and try to start it. It was completely dead. The only that happened was that the BCM was making a clicking noise. The only time the clicking noise stopped was when the key was turned over. It would also get lighter when i messed with the headlights switch. I then run jumper cables to the car and i would get her to crank and she would run about 2 seconds and then shut off even with the jumper cables still hooked up. I cranked her a few times and everytime i got the same results. The only time i got her to run a little longer was when i was reving the engine but right after let off the gas she would shut off. The day before there was a loud noise coming from the rear of the car and i was told it was the fuel pump. The day this happened the noise wasnt as loud as the day before but it was still there. Aslo when i messed with the headlight switch the intensity of the noise would change for a second. The theories ive been told are: the fuel pump could have gone out.... It could be the alternator..... it could be the crank shaft sensor..... or it could be an electical problem. She is my first car and i payed for her myself so i have got very attached to her and i really want to get her fixed. I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.
LoneWolf420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 4th, 13, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: 1996 camaro cranks and then dies

First, I would take the battery out and externally charge it for a couple days.
If a new type charger is used, set the charger on 10 AMPS let charge until the 'CHARGE' light comes on, then let the battery charge on 2 AMP setting for a 24 hour period.
Do not set the battery on concrete, place the battery on wood to isolate it from the floor.

The noise you may be hearing could be a bad bearing in the alt and fiddling with the headlamp switch would be placing a load on the alt thus the bearing noise. Or a slipping belt due to the heavy load, discharged battery and accessory power demanded.

The fuel pump should hum for 2-3 seconds when the ign key is turned to IGN as controlled by the PCM. Fuel pump relay may need swapping out as the contacts may be burnt.

Spark plugs may need removed and dried out if wet with fuel. With cold coolant, the PCM will go into 'choke mode' and fuel like no tomorrow. If engine does not keep running, plugs become wet with fuel and will not work. You may need to hold pedal to the floor to clear out a flood condition.

Getting a Haynes manual will help with the Camaro, Amazon.com, RockAuto.com, or your local parts store.

Welcome, Lone Wolf.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 6th, 13, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you. Another big thing that totally slipped my mind is that I had flushed the radiator out earlier and put new coolant in the radiator. Maybe this has something to do with the car dieing on me.
Old Sep 6th, 13, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Certainly can as the PCM coolant sensor is sensing air temp vice coolant temp.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 6th, 13, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

And that's where the spark plugs come into play?
Old Sep 7th, 13, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have put a new alternator, new battery, new fuel filter, and I know the fuel is running all the way to the engine because I pushed the gas valve near the engine and fuel came squirting out but still no luck. She is doing the same thing.
Old Sep 18th, 13, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

You would need to get fuel pressure gage and attach it to the spot on the fuel rail and see what you have as you try to start the car. You may have a bad fuel pump, as the car gos to start the pump might be giving out. If its the original pump and you have quite a few miles on here its probably time for the new pump.
frankzlt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in