Buying salvage camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 26th, 14, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Buying salvage camaro

I'm thinking about buying a salvage 4th generation camaro and fix it up. Please help me to choose between these cars and If someone has or had salvage vehicles, coupld you please tell me about your experience? Should I buy a salvage car or better to stay away? Thank you in advance!
http://www.vehbidz.com/1997-CHEVROLE...uction_details
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/668...aro-Front+end/
http://www.vehbidz.com/1994-CHEVROLE...uction_details
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/673...ro%20z28-Side/
Co70wer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Buying salvage camaro

From what I've seen the scrap and used parts businesses will give you a run for your money if trying to win a salvage car at auction. You'd probably wind up spending close to what you could get a good clean title car that needs nothing especially since you're looking at early fourth gens. Around here an LT1 car with no issues and 100k miles might fetch $3000 on a good day.
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Do you know that the 2 Vehbidz auctions are for cars the auction doesn't own? If you win the bid the auction company will take your bid and make an offer to the Ins Co that owns the cars! There is no guarantee you'll end up with the car.

Getting back to reality, these cars have totaled (salvaged) titles because the cost to fix them is more than the cars actual value before it was wrecked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Watch out for any flood cars. They can look like an easy fix and are sometimes hard to tell if anything is wrong, but the damage usually comes months or years down the road with corrosion in the wiring harness. I would NEVER buy a newer car that has seen water. Been there once with a Porsche Boxster. I replaced all the computers and fixed most of the gremlins, but new ones would pop up now and then. It was a fun go-kart anyway. 13.9 in the 1/4 stock.
That's crazy Dennis. I couldn't imagine bidding on something like the vehbidz auctions!

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
HawkX66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Ouch.........
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/676...ll%2Bover.html

69 Camaro Convertible
57 Chevrolet Nomad
Jeeps
buzzworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is a good read if your thinking of a flood salvage car. I have to admit ... it is a 65. With a 1993-2002, I would be very careful if it's a flood car.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...hlight=salvage

1965 Malibu SS hdtp., 4-Speed

MalibuSeaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Welcome, Ryan.
Good suggestions given.

Check with your present insurance agent - they will know because if the vehicle is not repaired to IAA standards, it will not be insurable - now it is an off-road vehicle only.
You will not be able to insure it for full coverage, but then all are over 20 years old....
Also, points off for resale with a branded title.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Welcome, Ryan.
Good suggestions given.

Check with your present insurance agent - they will know because if the vehicle is not repaired to IAA standards, it will not be insurable - now it is an off-road vehicle only.
You will not be able to insure it for full coverage, but then all are over 20 years old....
Also, points off for resale with a branded title.
That must be a VA law. Here in CA there is no such requirement. We have a very high number of salvage titles because the requirements for branding the title are fairly low. An inspection is required, but CA DMV is more concerned with where you purchased the parts to repair than how it was repaired.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr4.htm

General rule of thumb on value here is 50% of retail book value, so it really does kill the price if you plan on reselling it. I would only consider one that was an easy fix at a good price, otherwise you will be upside down on book value.
68 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 26th, 14, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

There are obviously different laws for different states, but one needs to look at how many are adopting the policy on "Salvage" vehicles not being resold. This is in the interest of the buyers to protect them from vehicles that are unsafe or cannot be made safe!

I would probably not consider a Salvaged car for anything other than parts.As mentioned already be very aware of the Hundreds of thousands of Flood stricken Cars that are out there. Put your money into a vehicle who's history you know that has a proper title and which you will not constantly be fighting and tracking down gremlins.

What appears to be a good deal usually is not and it's ultimately going to bite you in your wallet!
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 14, 04:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Whoa guyz! We are talking about collector cars here. Most owners do not sell these cars. That is the decision the owner will have to make before purchasing the salvage car/vehicle. If he/she is planning on keeping the car it might be a good deal.

1965 Malibu SS hdtp., 4-Speed

MalibuSeaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 14, 05:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

n/m
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 14, 05:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

I would NEVER buy a salvage title car. Period end of story.
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 14, 06:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

My 68 has a salvaged title. It was wrecked way back in the day and the guy I bought it off had pictures if it after the wreck. It was back in the early 80's and the car had front end damage. At the time the repairs cost more then the car was worth (before people started seeing these car's as real collector cars) and it was tagged Salvage.

The repairs were done shortly after the accident using GM parts as they were still available at the dealership. I still have all the receipts (as you must show these at the inspection in Ohio).

The car was never finished, but had new front fenders, upper/lower cowl and hood installed (all GM). It also came with new grille, headlight assemblies and various other new in box GM parts.

I have huge folder of receipts from the two previous owners and am finishing the car. The car is/was in much, much better shape then a lot of the clean titled rust piles some guys have bought to restore.

When talking first gen or classic cars, having a rebuilt Salvage title IMO is not a big deal, most clean title classic cars are total rebuilds as well.

There are rules to getting title from Salvage to rebuilt Salvage and varies big time for state to state.

Ohio, is a lil picky. And I hope I have no issues, but it depends on the inspector, they can be understanding or real hard @ss pricks about it and go as far as keeping the car as long as needed and remove parts to check numbers and scrape off paint to see them and then leave it for you to put back together and repair any damge they caused to see those numbers.

Main thing (in Ohio at least) is keep ALL receipts for anything needed to repair the damaged areas. I'm keeping everything though, just in case and I am going to put them in marked and tabbed sleeves in a 3 ring binder for my inspection. Figure if I make thier job easier and show I have nothing to hide they will make it smooth for me. Ohio is also more concerned with stolen parts then the safety of the vehicle. They said it was not a safety inspection but a stolen goods inspection.
PhantomRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 27th, 14, 06:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I would NEVER buy a salvage title car. Period end of story.
Considering the amount of work done in most restorations, they should all have salvage titles lol. Thankfully the nanny states haven't gotten there yet. As far as buying a salvage titled car, I'd consider it depending on what happened and if the price were right which it rarely is. I'd never buy a flood car again. Live and learn....

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Old Feb 27th, 14, 06:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRider View Post
Ohio is also more concerned with stolen parts then the safety of the vehicle. They said it was not a safety inspection but a stolen goods inspection.
I think that's the case for most states. I remember when I lived in Cali, they busted a ring that would go out, steal high end cars, strip them carefully, save the parts and leave the body in a known location. When the body would go to auction, they'd bid on it/buy it and put the car back together. Whala, they have a legal car to sell for big money...

Semper Fi!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in