Help with air intake location - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 23rd, 14, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Help with air intake location

I own a 1995 Camero Z28 Convertible. Have had it since new and its always been in a garage over the winter till this last year. Over the winter I decided to try to save some money and leave it in my driveway in Wisconsin rather than rent a storage unit. The garage isnt a option any more unfortunately. Yesterday I uncover the car and put the battery back in and find a few rodent nests under the cover and also in the engine compartment. No big deal I just vacuumed them out and blew the rest to the ground.

Then I go to start the car and it sounds like a machine gun going off under the dash on the passengers side. So I drop the blower motor out and find it filled halfway up with acorns.

I always assumed the air intake for the cabin air was through that screened area by the wipers on the top of the car. There obviously must be another air inlet source under the hood some where, where the rodents got in and placed there stash of acorns.

So do any of the resident Camero experts know if there's another location under the hood that is a air intake for the inside cabin air? I mean there has to be a way that they got to the blower motor to store there nuts.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I plan to make sure this doesn't happen again by screening off any entrance area for the air system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	70714  

Last edited by Jim Smyth; May 1st, 14 at 10:04 AM.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 23rd, 14, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage
Re: Help with air intake location

Hi Jim, maybe PM a moderator and ask to have this moved to the 4th gen forum. Since this is posted in a 1st gen area you are not likely to get more than folks asking you to learn how to spell Camaro...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 23rd, 14, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Opps, sorry. FNG issue. Any Mods that can help move this to 4th generation would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd, 14, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank You
Old Apr 24th, 14, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Wow...I have to change the leaves in mine once or twice per year, but don't believe I've ever seen acorns (and we have acorns here). I suspect your rodent friend may have opened up a passage way. I can understand how leaves and crap can slip through, but acorns
dnult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 24th, 14, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

I've been thinking about this and I believe Dave is on to something. I don't think the critters are getting in through the factory air path unless there is a removable filter that they could chew threw. Look at this dwg to see the many paths to the blower motor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 24th, 14, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Dennis, when I dropped out the blower motor I could only stick my hand up so far and couldnt see any daylight on the inside of the plenum. The area that looks suspect to me is " E. From Plenum Area (Outside Air)". I share Daves concern that one of them may have chewed there way in and thats the hole I need to close up. When I took all the acorns out there wasnt anything else in there so I dont think they were living in there per say.

I did stop at the local Chevy dealer and picked the service guys brain. They said they have this issue in a lot of cars and that isnt one set place that mice get into the air distribution system at. I cant seem to find any fresh air source from the engine compartment. The firewall seems pretty solid and I cant see anyway in or any filters or flapper etc.

FWIW, none of them made there way into the interior of the car. No deb-re, nuts, poop, nests etc. Seems everything nest wise and acorn wise was locate on the outside of the car and in the engine compartment.

So if anyone know's of a fresh air source to the plenum on the inside of the engine compartment I would love to know about where its located . With a flashlight and going over it for at least a hour I cant see anyway in. Now I havent had the car jacked up yet or on a lift so it may be possible there's a way in from the underside near the firewall?
Old Apr 25th, 14, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Hope you figure it out. Just wanted to add that during my last leaf changing exercise, I reached way up in there and found a little well in front of the heater core or AC evaporator (not sure which). It was chocked full of leaves and junk. I suspect you'll find some more acorns there too. I stuck a shop vac hose up in the hole where the blower was and used an airline to blow the crap out. Hope doing that makes leaf-change 2014 unnecessary.
dnult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 25th, 14, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Interesting. I guess it's called a "squirrel cage" for a reason...

Sorry but I just couldn't resist...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 14, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Jim, good one you got that right!

I got the Camero back to my home and did a oil change today and got it up on Jacks. There was no way I could see from the underside that they could have got in the Air Plenum from there.

So I started investigating the engine compartment again and think I found out how they got in. In the center of the windshield on the lower side of the plastic housing where the wipers park. Its basically the screened air intake to the AC/Heat. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary right away but the more I looked I seen a few acorns remnants in the center section under the screen.

So I took a few pictures of where they got in at. The hole I can stick my thumb in and I am sure there was some separation somewhere under all that plastic where they squeezed in at. If I ever park it outside again during the winter that hole will be filled with steel wool and fabric softener sheets!

I think in the end one red squirrel started depositing acorns in the plenum but didn't retrieve them for some reason. If he did I would have assumed there would have been eaten pieces of acorns or nesting material or poop remnants when I took the Squirrel cage out. But it was just filled with acorns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC111.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	71714   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC222.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	71722  
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in