99 SS temperature - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 22nd, 05, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

99 SS temperature

I just got my car about a month or so ago. I've driven it in about every situation you could between 43 and 95 degrees outside, given 2 or 3 minutes warm-up time. The temp gauge reads about 205, the needle sets in the same spot under all conditions (I have never seen this before??)

I know the gauge isn't broke it, it may be off, but it sweeps the entire range. (I just did a drain and flush yesterday, put in pure water and let it rise under revving to include a rise and fall according to RPM.)

This is a stock cooling system outside of a 160 stat. I just find it odd that it sticks in this tight of a range...which I would love if it was 10 degrees cooler.

Does anyone else have the same thing???
HPnMPG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 05, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: 99 SS temperature

You might take a temp gun and "shoot" the thermostat housing for a corresponding temperature against the gauge.

Let the car cool overnight and the following morning, let it warm-up. Feel the upper hose for the t/stat to open. When it does, view the gauge. If you have a 160* t/stat, then the gauge should read considerably below mid-range. This will give you an idea of gauge-to-thermostat calibration.

GM wants the engine to run hot for a reason. Reduce exhaust emissions. As long as it doesn't boilover with the AC on and its 90*F with 80% humidity, GM feels there is not a problem. Just make sure the fans come on when selecting DEF or MAX AC, they are PCM controlled. By adding a switch in the relay control will damage the driver for the fan circuit.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 25th, 05, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

I have a 99 SS and my car stays on 210. It has the stock themostat though. www.ls1tech.com is a great place for info on the 98-02 equipped ls1 camaros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
67SS&99SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 25th, 05, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

The reason for the 160 stat in a newer comp controled engine is to fool the comp into thinking the eng is running cooler. This in turn tells the comp to run more advance giving a slight performance increase. Of course you have to reprogram the comp when you install a 160 stat.

Now just like any other engine and cooling system the stat does little in setting how hot the engine runs. The stat keeps the cooling sys from flowing until the eng temp gets to the stats rating. Once the stat opens, it will stay open until the cooling system brings the temp below the stat rating. Since your engine hits 205 and stays there you could be using a 160, 180 or even a 190 deg stat without changing how hot your engine will get. 205 is not too hot for your 4th gen. I don't recall the on and off temps but you also have an electric fan that is thermostatically controled and you should be able to verify it's working right by watching the temp when it turns on and off. You can also force it on by turning on the AC. I bet it's all working just fine...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 9th, 06, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Guys, first have you checked with a OBDII tool what the computer says the temperature realy is? GM decided that when the temp gauge on your dash was moving all over the place and actually telling you the real coolant temperature as you drive, that it was making some people nervous. Or some thing like that, so they decided a a wide range of temperatures would be displayed all the same. Thats why the temp needle almost never moves after the engine warms up, no matter if you have a 160 degree themostat or not.
Whips_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 10th, 06, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Arrow Re: 99 SS temperature

My 2001 Z28 runs at 205 to 210 range all the time. I had the radiator flushed about 2 years ago (and refilled w/ Dexcool) and it dropped about 5 degrees and its been the same since and I have had no overheating problems at all.
Z28 Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 15th, 06, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 2000 SS and my car stays on 210 all the time.
mike00ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 13th, 07, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whips_SS View Post
Hi Guys, first have you checked with a OBDII tool what the computer says the temperature realy is? GM decided that when the temp gauge on your dash was moving all over the place and actually telling you the real coolant temperature as you drive, that it was making some people nervous. Or some thing like that, so they decided a a wide range of temperatures would be displayed all the same. Thats why the temp needle almost never moves after the engine warms up, no matter if you have a 160 degree themostat or not.
This is true, except 98's were the only LS1 F-Bodys to have a real temp. gauge.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in