96 (?rs?) - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 6th, 06, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

96 (?rs?)

what exactly makes an "RS" an "RS?" I've heard it's basically a Z28 with a V6. But wouldn't that just be exactly like a base Camaro with the handling upgrade? (4-wheel discs, alloys, wider tires, etc.)

I have a 96 with the handling upgrade, but couldn't it also be considered an RS, or is there something else differentiating it from an RS?

Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; Jun 7th, 06 at 10:32 PM.
TheGr8Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 8th, 06, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Re: 96 (?rs?)

No. You need to have the body kit which included the front chin spoiler, side skirts, and extended rear spoiler and RS badges. Also the RS came with a dual exhaust (actually a muffler with dual tail pipes). Most v6 camaros do not have the dual exhaust
Old Jun 8th, 06, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

I don't think RsS was offered all years of the 4th gen either...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 8th, 06, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

DJD, Good point. The RS was offered by Chevy for model years 96 and 97. I believe slp offered it as a package after that. I think the slp Rs had an aftermarket exhaust and some appearance mods.
Old Jun 8th, 06, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

the only thing that makes it a rs is the emblems and ground effects,
67CAMAROSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 9th, 06, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wink Re: 96 (?rs?)

The RS trim package is a dealer installed option. The VIN bar code tells the tale. The basic 96 RS will come with dual exhaust, quick ratio steering, positraction rear end, 215hp 3.8 V6, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, Z28 style wheels; an optional performance rear gear ratio of 3.23:1 was also offered.

Mine has the performance rear gear, no panel tops, no power windows or seats, 5 speed, AC, PS, PB, Cruise Control, AM/FM/Tape, tilt steering wheel, alloy Z28 style wheels, and no RS badging or trim package; it came from the factory that way. The VIN bar code reads "RS"............Cloaked RS that is.
gmranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 9th, 06, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Gmranch,

That's interesting that you have RS with no ground effects. According to the 96 Camaro brochure, the RS package was offered from GM model in 96 not dealer installed. I just found this in the brochure. "There's a hot new look for Camaro this year, and it's called RS. Choose from Camaro RS coupe or RS convertible. Here's what sets RS apart from every other Camaro: aggressive ground effect lower body extensions all around, and a bold new high-level rear spoiler. The 200 hp, 3800 v6 engine, air conditioning and aluminum wheels are standard in RS models. If you want the new for 96 look, Rs is the Camaro for you,"

The dual exhaust, posi rear with either 3.23 for the 5 speed or 3.42 for the auto, Decarbon shocks, faster ratio rack are part of the optional y87 performance package offered on the v6. The y87 was basically the z28 level suspension only difference is the spring rates. For non RS models, the performance package also included the aluminum rims with 235-16-55 goodyear GA's, but these rims and tires are standard on the RS.
Old Jun 10th, 06, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, we bought the car new from Carr Chevrolet. in Beaverton, OR. What we were looking for was a Camaro with no panel tops(they all leak eventually IMHO) and no power windows or seats(something that breaks and is expensive repair IMHO). With these requirements, it was tough to find one that we wanted on the lot. So, the salesman starts doing a search on the dealer net, and while we are waiting I start looking through a brochure and spot the RS option ( for a reasonable price). I ask him if he can find one with this option also. Bingo! One pops up on the net at a Seattle, WA., dealership. He said if we bought it, they would deliver the car; he also said that the car did not have the trim package, but it could be purchased and installed at the dealership. We opted out on the trim and bought the car. :>)
gmranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 11th, 06, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Thanks for the info I didn't know that. My RS was sitting on the lawn at Newman Chevy in E hartford CT decked out in black with the trim package and t-tops. When my insurance company told me it wouldn't cost anywhere near what it did to insure the z28, I had to have it. My t-tops leak when I wash it, so good call there. No power windows for me either and I know of a few people who replaced the drivers side motor. Its a great car to just take out and cruise with on a sunny day.
Old Oct 10th, 06, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

hmmm i'm pretty sure that the engine was bigger also i thought that a regular camero V6 was a 3300 and the RS was a 3800 v6
i mean i dont really deal with v6's that much but i mean ...thats what i always thought
pinup jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 27th, 06, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinup jimmy View Post
hmmm i'm pretty sure that the engine was bigger also i thought that a regular camero V6 was a 3300 and the RS was a 3800 v6
i mean i dont really deal with v6's that much but i mean ...thats what i always thought

No, the engine is exactly the same. The only difference is an extra piece on the spoiler, and ground effects.

There was only an option in V6 engines in 95, when they first introduced the 3.8L, and they still had the 3.4L as the base engine. Not many people got the optional 3.8L though.

In the new camaros coming out, they are going to have a 3.9L V6 with around 290 horsepower i think, and the RS option will be the same 3.9L, but with 310HP. That's the only performance i know of with the RS, it may be different in previous generations though.
TheGr8Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 5th, 06, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

i've had BOTH a 1996 RS and 1997 RS.. the 96 was just an RS and the 97 is an RS with Y87 package.

96/97 RS was an apperance package front, side ,and rear ground FX and the RS badges and maybe the Z wheels... thats it..... no 4 wheel disk,no upgraded suspension,no posi,no quick ratio steering... thats the way my 96 was...

you COULD get a Y87 package with it.. which was basically a Z-28 with the V-6, which meens dual exhaust tips,posi,better rear gear,4 wheel disk, big front/rear swaybar,quick ratio steering........ thats how my 97 is..

you could also get the Y87 package and NOT be an RS meaning no ground FX no badges...

just because its an RS.. doesn't meen it has has all the upgrades like a Z-28... it has to ALSO have the Y87 package to have all that stuff like the Z28
1997RSblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 19th, 07, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a '96 RS that is probably the MOST base model RS you could own...5-speed, bare essentials, NO appearance pkg, factory wheel covers, it DOES have Positraction in it though (was told so by a Camaro freak at Pep Boys) and a few other things, but my RS has no skirts, extra spoiler pieces, alloy wheels, anything. It's your generic Camaro, and I don't wanna be anymore. lol
CajunCamRS06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in