RHD 67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Patrice

RHD 67 Camaro

Hello everybody

I didn't know right hand drive chevy had been built, even more '67 camaro. Surprising :

the thottle pedal position !

it is in UK, Here
(I am not sure that is the correct forum to put it, please move it if necessary)

67 327 RS
88 305 TPI T5 Iroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 03:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: RHD 67 Camaro

Man that's a nice ride; but I have the feeling if I got behind the wheel of that car, I would be falling out on to the pavement when I would accidentally shift the door handle rather then the stick - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 03:18 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

They have to convert then For Aussie also...and think Japan.
NZ we only have to convert modern cars, but they are built at the factory for either left or right hook.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatV View Post
Hello everybody

I didn't know right hand drive chevy had been built, even more '67 camaro. Surprising :
GM NEVER built Camaros right hand drive. This has been done by someone other than GM.

Even the Pontiacs and Chevrolets that were sold new here (Australian Delivery) were shipped as partially completed, complete from only the firewall back, and were then assembled at their destination by GM Holden, or a seperate company commisioned by GMH.

NO Camaro ever rolled off the production line as a RHD vehicle.

(The 2010 Camaro is the exception, but only in prototype form.)

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Aug 22nd, 09 at 10:16 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Holden did not produce R hook Camaros...they where converted by private companies.
Camaros ARE NOT TOOLED for left hook...
Have a look at say a 69 HT , HK M0naro or HQ...you will see that things like the heater box and power steering units etc etc can all be swapped from side to side, and close inspection of the dash, gauges can also be swapped.

Upto the late 50s the us car makers did produce for R hook...Hence why after there where no US cars made for the British SA, Jap, NZ markets.
Then 5 0r 10 yrs ago Dodge started tooling again for left and right hook markets.
Couple yrs ago Ford Followed , thu much of this was because of Jappa /Mazda designers
GM has been slow, I believe some of the commerical vechlices are tooled for both
The Holden Monaro, also sold as Vauxlle in UK, and cant rem the name a GM performace car in the US was tooled for L R hook.

I do not know if GM has tooled the new camaro for both, maybe next time a member gets a chance to have a good look under the hood, firewall, under the dash etc the could tell us.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Holden did not produce R hook Camaros...they where converted by private companies.

..I do not know if GM has tooled the new camaro for both, maybe next time a member gets a chance to have a good look under the hood, firewall, under the dash etc the could tell us.
Not sure who you are replying to, but..
Correct, GM-USA or Holden never, ever produced R hook Camaros. The Australian Deliveries were mainly Impalas, Parisiennes and hearses & such.
Companies like Chappell Engineering and Bill Buckle converted Camaros and Firebirds (and others) to order. GMH assembled the Australian delivery vehicles that were exported from Canada and were sold here as brand-new in GMH show-rooms.
Camaros for example were bought as new, then imported, and the steering convertions commisioned by private dealers like Sothern Motors for example.
By the way, the conversions were quite disgusting!

As for the new 2010 Camaro. Yes, it has been made RHD in prototype form. I've seen at least 2 driving around Melbourne by GMH employees on their way to the GMH Fishermen's Bend plant. Most are LHD, but definitely a smaller number are RHD. They may have VE Commodore dashes for all I know.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Here is a 1st Gen subframe converted by Chappell Engineering. They were considered to be very good in their day, but, I have absolutely no idea why! The LHD steering box was reused in this medi-evil-torture-chamber-type modification. Revolting, isn't it? SBC with ram's-horn manifolds only!!

Australian delivery GM used an exact mirror-image version of the Saginaw 800 Series steering box. Only difrerence is that it's a fixed ratio, and not variable like the LHD models.

This pic also shows that the heater box has simply been turned upside-down and the motor housing modified to fit.

This is a real mirror image, but had to be made from scratch (by me).

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Patrice

And another one, in Austalia :

http://cars.ebay.com.au/67-Camaro-Co...mZ120459588302

67 327 RS
88 305 TPI T5 Iroc
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Patrice. RHD Camaros are everywhere down here, including Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, tri-fives, Cadillacs, Galaxies, Rivieras... you name it, there is just about any American car you can think of with the steering wheel on the wrong side..
With the exception of Impalas and Parisienne, none of them were made RHD from the factory.
Again.. GM never made a Camaro RHD, -including my one!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Several islands in the Caribbean are RHD. Never, ever did I rent a car or try to drive a loaner on such islands while we were cruising. I'd be dead and the islands would quite likely have lost a citizen.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Were they factory right hand drive, or were they converted by hand by a company commisioned to convert them and then exported there?
I could hardly imagine GM or any other automaker spending huge amounts of money to set up a prodution line with a stack of one-of RHD parts for the huge market of the Caribbean.

It's a way bigger market down here and in Britain and they didn't do it for us!

Even our Australian Delivery cars were shipped complete only from the firewall back. The rest were parts in boxes for GMH to assemble themselves!

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Tristan

Send a message via AIM to Mav68erick

wonder what color that is

68 Camaro

I Hate Spotwelds
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Patrice. RHD Camaros are everywhere down here, including Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, tri-fives, Cadillacs, Galaxies, Rivieras... you name it, there is just about any American car you can think of with the steering wheel on the wrong side..

Again.. GM never made a Camaro RHD, -including my one!
You're wright Steve. Thank you for the explanations. I didn't know before this post that they could ever exist.

67 327 RS
88 305 TPI T5 Iroc
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav68erick View Post
wonder what color that is
I wonder if it's "Corvette Bronze"?

|
|
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 09, 03:34 PM
Peter

Hi Guys.
Since GM never produced a RHD camaro, what is the cost of a conversion of a 67 or 68 and how does it drive.

cheers
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode