Should I Sell My '67-4 speed Vert? - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jimmy

Should I Sell My '67-4 speed Vert?

I have been thinking (dangerous for me). I have a 1967 convertible. I got it from a friend. My intro to Team Camaro here:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/67-ne...ends-pics.html
It is a true 4P 1967 SS convertible. The previous owner added the RS option. (hideaways, lights etc.) NOM 350 motor with 30K, mild cam, headers, SS exhaust, aluminum radiator. The M20 and 12 bolt 331 rear are original. Original front non-power disc brakes. Original fold-down rear seat and Delco AM-FM radio. (Radio not working.) Deluxe interior, Originally Deepwater Blue with white top. Original power top option. Now wearing Torque Thrusts but would come with the rally wheels as shown, an extra set of doors with windows and regulators, steering column, (I put an Ididit tilt column in it).

So she runs and drives really well. I've enjoyed it and kept her going, always garaged. Here's the deal. She needs paint. It was "freshened" before me but needs lower rear patch panels. The rest of the body is great, fenders, trunk, hood, floors, trunk, etc. It was on a rotisserie at one point. She needs a new interior. The front seats look the best but it all needs redoing. She needs a new top. Hydraulics work fine. She needs a new rear bumper. (present one has pits galore) Mechanically she needs tons depending on what you would want. The motor is strong and built well but a long time ago. Original Q-jet re-bushed by some guru. I'd pull the mill and do rear main seal, gaskets, and paint it. I'd replace the headers or wrap them. And if you're doing that you'd do the clutch, PP, throw out etc. But all these items work fine now. She runs perfect, clutch is good, trans shifts perfectly through the Hurst competition Plus shifter.

Here's the problem. I'm 65. I do have a nice garage, good tools, and fairly good skills. I've got around 16K saved. I just know, just like my 1933 farm house with never ending problems which turn into wife mandated upgrades (thanks honey), once I get into it I'll be thinking wiring harness, then A/C, then electric windows, leather, etc.

So I'm watching Barrett-Jackson and have been to Mecum in Harrisburg. On the early days you see what looks to be some fantastic bargains. Question is am I better off selling my rig and taking the 16K and finding something already done or something new?

To help me decide, please tell me what my car is worth or what else you need to know for a fair evaluation. I'm not interested in PMs to purchase this car. Thanks in advance for your input. Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new car 008.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	642.2 KB
ID:	231949   Click image for larger version

Name:	new car 017.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	521.8 KB
ID:	231951   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor 1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	495.0 KB
ID:	231953  

Last edited by gypsy jim; Jan 15th, 20 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 08:29 PM
John

Garage
Re: Should I Sell My '67-4 speed Vert?

Personally I would sell as is and then buy another car closer to what you ultimately want.

Putting big money into body and paint will put you upside down very fast.
ME4NSTRK69 likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 08:31 PM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Pictures lie!!!! But:
If your car is assembled as shown in the pictures, runs well, does not have a totally rusted out under carriage, nor buckets of bonds, I would put a minimum of $20K (even needing paint and a top) on the car. Probably be an easy $30k plus given the SS heritage, deluxe interior, 4 speed, 12 bolt, etc. after paint. Some guys might go $40K plus after paint.

If it is paid for, I would keep it as anything you buy under $35k is probably going to need $3k or more put in it.

Of course I love rag tops. I have had at one since I was 17 years old except for a short period after I rolled my first one (a 60 Impala) in 1968 and had to choose between finishing college, getting married, and then taking uncle sam's free vacation to east Asia. Didn't have a choice on the last one. I still have 2 68s, so I am going to let go of the project I have owned since 78 and a ton of parts.

It is your call. But I would consider trading off the wife first, only had her for 52 years as of Feb 3. Of course, she bought a 66 Corvette convertible so I don't have to roll the dice on a new wife.

Ron

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Good morning Jimmy. If it were me, I'd be talking to my financial adviser about spending 16K on my car in my retirement years.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 06:16 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Good morning Jimmy. If it were me, I'd be talking to my financial adviser about spending 16K on my car in my retirement years.
Why do you think 65 is retirement years?

And for me I don't need to pay any "adviser" to tell me how I should spend MY money.

If the OP doesn't dump money into it putting him upside down the Camaro is money in the bank.

I see the car could sell for maybe $25K. I could see $15K and a year in paint jail for paint and a new top. Who know what pops up that could escalate cost once the work is started.

So that puts him $40K into the car

Much harder to sell a car for $40k than $25k.

That's why I believe keep it like it is and enjoy it or sell it and go patiently shopping for another.

There are deals out there if you have cash in hand.
ME4NSTRK69 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 06:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I guess because the majority of Americans are retired by then. Me included. If I only had 16k saved at 65 I don't know if I'd be spending it. I'd be hanging on to it.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Good thing you don't pay for any advice here! Drive it! Shiny paint is overrated! Eat hamburgers in it! Never put the top up, too. Buy some Apple stock when the market has a correction...

Good looking machine!
rgwiz likes this.

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 07:29 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Jimmy,

You say things in your post that are contradicting. Your saying that a new owner should do this and that, and then you say she runs real good. I tend to believe you when you say the car runs fine. I think you may be nit picking or making an excuse so as to justify selling it. You mention being at and watching BJ. You may be comparing your "beast" to some of the shinny "perfect" 1st Gens crossing the block. I for one would not do that since the bright lights and fresh paint is always eye candy. Fake TV will always get you thinking my car is ugly compared to those.

IMO, your car has a lot going for it. It's a SS 'vert with the RS grille, 350 mild rebuild with a 4spd. Disc brakes and deluxe interior. Some here are say $15k. I say at least $20 here in the northeast. In my area of NJ there are body shops in the "down town" areas that can do a very good job fixing the body and a repaint for under $7k. These places don't speak English but they love classic cars and they will work their butts off. Most of them will also have a connection for the new top.

So... $15 to $20 to start with, add the $7 or $8 in body work and paint, with the bumpers and new top and you looking at $29-30. Convertible RS SS here in Jersey are selling around $35K minimum. So, I just spent a little over half your saved up money but doubled the worth of your car. Lol, just kidding, but not out of the ream of possibilities.

That's money that you can drive or at least get's you out of the house once in a while. IMO, I'd throw some $$$'s at it and keep it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
ME4NSTRK69 likes this.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Why do you think 65 is retirement years?

And for me I don't need to pay any "adviser" to tell me how I should spend MY money.

There are free advisers, and if you had an investment company at work (such as Fidelity), they will also work for free for you. They are helpful in understanding the tax laws when you have: savings, pension, 401K and DAV money coming in all at once and how to get the most out of it without having penalty fees/taxes/charges.

For the OP, is the 16k is all you have for savings or is it your "play" money.

I would probably just drive the car and enjoy it.

Have you looked at cars around where you live and looked at what they are bringing? A lot of what your car is worth is also location.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 09:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

My 2 cents

The car doesn't look much different than when you got it in 07. That is a good thing. Most rust should have shown it's ugly face by now. Key word being "most". That said I think if you decide to keep and paint, you may not find too many other issues. Key words being "may not" . I think you would be fine doing a sand and paint after fixing the two issues you mentioned on the bottom. That's not a bare metal take down job. Aftermarket bumpers are cheap, and will be found on most cars you look at. Not a bad thing. Think hard about what you want, and what you can live with. For the most part you know this car. I have seen Junk go across the block at BJ, that looks great on TV. So don't let that make you think all the cars on TV are great. Get your car up on a lift and really look at it to find rust you may not be aware of. Rockers, trunk, drop offs, wheel wells before you make a decision one way or another. If you decide to sell it , be prepared for them to beat you down about the top needing replaced. Depending on how much it would cost to replace in your area, might want to replace it either way. Power windows? I don't personally understand that . It's not a new car, and chances are the top will be down when your driving, so windows would too? Just my thoughts.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Personally I would sell as is and then buy another car closer to what you ultimately want.

Putting big money into body and paint will put you upside down very fast.
Exactly what I don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
I'm still working and have a 401K, investments, SS, etc. When I refinanced, I took money out for home improvements and the deal with Momma was I skimmed the Camaro money. Anything over that was on me. PS. She drives it well. My 21 year old son thinks it smells, has no modern amenities, and is not impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
Good thing you don't pay for any advice here! Drive it! Shiny paint is overrated! Eat hamburgers in it! Never put the top up, too. Buy some Apple stock when the market has a correction...

Good looking machine!
Basically, I have been doing that for 13 years and just baby upgrades along the way. For instance electronic points, SS brake lines, tilt steering, shocks, tires, some dress up stuff, etc. She has been fun every year. I take her every nice Sunday to Burtonsville, Md., Church of the Holy Donut for cars and coffee. Usually 250 cars plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
My 2 cents

The car doesn't look much different than when you got it in 07. That is a good thing. Most rust should have shown it's ugly face by now. Key word being "most". That said I think if you decide to keep and paint, you may not find too many other issues. Key words being "may not" . I think you would be fine doing a sand and paint after fixing the two issues you mentioned on the bottom. That's not a bare metal take down job. Aftermarket bumpers are cheap, and will be found on most cars you look at. Not a bad thing. Think hard about what you want, and what you can live with. For the most part you know this car. I have seen Junk go across the block at BJ, that looks great on TV. So don't let that make you think all the cars on TV are great. Get your car up on a lift and really look at it to find rust you may not be aware of. Rockers, trunk, drop offs, wheel wells before you make a decision one way or another. If you decide to sell it , be prepared for them to beat you down about the top needing replaced. Depending on how much it would cost to replace in your area, might want to replace it either way. Power windows? I don't personally understand that . It's not a new car, and chances are the top will be down when your driving, so windows would too? Just my thoughts.
Great observations. It has been happy being garage kept and really it has been most of its life. I agree that I don't think, at this point, there's much hidden rust. It's been on a lift at my buddies house many times and it's a solid, very original car minus the motor. I further agree on the power windows but I would like A/C which may necessitate a new harness. To be honest, I've been lazy and just been keeping her roadworthy and having fun. I probably have +/- 17K in it. I just don't want to be in over my head. It doesn't cost anything at this point and I don't need to sell it. I guess I've been a good custodian so far but wonder if I should do more, sink the 16K in her, or drive her like she is and quit worrying.
BlueRibbon likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 06:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have a new original style harness in my car with vintage air. Zero cut wires, just a tag in the fuse box, and a main wire under the hood. Very simple wiring.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 07:25 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I have a new original style harness in my car with vintage air. Zero cut wires, just a tag in the fuse box, and a main wire under the hood. Very simple wiring.
X2

I have installed VA in several 1st Gens with the original wiring No Problem.

The VA draws about he same as the original Blower Motor.

The VA wires straight to the battery so you really don't even tie into the OEM Wiring

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech
Kev

I'd say no....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

I can relate to your dilemma. I have a running/driving car, that needs a little TLC. I want to take it apart and clean everything up and put it back together. However, I know once I do that it will be a several year project and cost a decent amount of money and have unexpected costs along the way that will delay the overall project. So I just enjoy driving it and having fun.
You have a highly desirable car, that I think you would regret getting rid of. If I were to guess form the pictures, your car right now is worth $24-$27K. If you put $16K into it you will have a car worth $40K car possibly more. I don't think you will necessarily be upside down on the car, and I wouldn't consider it a bad investment. It's not a great investment per say but you aren't necessarily wasting money either. Essentially you are breaking even. I think you will be happier with the car and probably drive it more. If you had a base model coupe that you spent $25K on and were go to spend that same $16K(or more most likely) on that car, I would be a little more hesitant.

If I had the ability to predict the future, it would look something like this: Sell current car for $24K take that money and $16K and buy new ~$40K car. You will eventually find a bunch of things wrong with the new car, not have the money necessarily to fix the new car and end up wishing you had kept the old car.
Just keep what you have, enjoy it, and fix it as you go.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode