How do you tell.... - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

How do you tell....

How do you tell if you have a RS SS or a Z28 Camaro. I bought a 1968 Camaro yesturday, and not sure weahter it is a RS, SS or a Z28. How can you tell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: How do you tell....

how many leaf springs in the rear? how many bolts in the cover on the rear end? does it have power and/or disc brakes? are there any wierd numbers/letters on the trim tag, above and left of the brake mastercylinder/booster?

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 06:37 PM

Post pic's someone will let you know. Look at mine it is a RS/Z-28 back-up light are in a different place and headlights have a cover that opens and closes. There more things but those items are easly spotted.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 06:59 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Does it have any badges? stripes? big block or small? Describe what it looks like and that will help...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I will have to look in the morning when it warms up a little. In virginia it get a little cold this time of year.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech

Look at the cowl tag and figure out what options came with the car. Write down the information and go to of those web sites that does cowl tag decoding. It will let you know what you have.

Welcome to the Team

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 08:40 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Dave it's a '68... The cowl tag doesn't contain any option codes...

...Dennis

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 09:23 PM
Team Member
Rob

Some good tips here so far ... Cowl tag codes, Front disc brakes, rear leaf springs, 10 bolt rear vs. 12 bolt, etc. Also, is an automatic or a 4 speed? There are many tell tail signs if know what to look for and pics would help.

Be carefull though ... there are some pretty good "wanabee's" out there ... that want to be, say a Z/28 but are really are not.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Dave it's a '68... The cowl tag doesn't contain any option codes...
What about the trim tag or VIN Dennis? There must be a way to check for engine size and options. How do you tell if the car you just bought is the real deal and not a Clone car? If you check the VIN numbers and Trim tag, shouldn't that give you any clues to what you have?

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 09:55 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

For all 3 years of 1st gen the vin will tell you, year, V8 or I6, coupe or convert, what plant the car came from and it contains a sequential serial number. The cowl tag is different each of the 3 years, in '68 it will tell you build date (mo and wk) plant it was built at, coupe or convert, interior and exterior colors and I believe std or dlx interior. That's about it, if I missed something someone is sure to add it...

...Dennis

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

I am going to be getting out there today and look at what things is to look for, have to recover from the DMV. Just went to the DMV this morning and got hit off gaurd on the tax, I had to go back to the bank and get enough to cover the tax. WOW. Now I am trying to breath.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech

They slid that tax in while no one was looking, I bet some camaros have paid more in tax than they sold for new. I think that started in the early 90s. Think about it it the perfect tax no one knew about it untill they bought a used car then go to put plates on and there it is, at that time you are one person standing in the dmv nevervoted that tax in but there it is suprise suprise. How about transpher stamps when you sell your house ya a leaving town tax. What will they think of next. Kinda reminds me of a song. Here is another fun tax to think about the next time you wipe your (rear end) there is tax on the paper you bought so you cant even go to the bathroom without paying tax.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm38 View Post
Just went to the DMV this morning and got hit off gaurd on the tax, I had to go back to the bank and get enough to cover the tax. WOW. Now I am trying to breath.
Welcome for living in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Have you seen the state flag? It's a man standing in a smock, robe, kamona, whatever, with his foot on the guy's chest who's laying on the ground, and he has his hand out. Does it tell you something?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok, now I got some information from my car. 5 leaf springs, one is short on the bottom side, 10 bolt rear end, it has 4 drum brakes. This weekend I was able to look up where my Camaro was built at. This is the details of my Camaro. 07B = Built the Second week of July. 68-12437 = Coupe. NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio. 712 = Standard Black Bucket Seats. J-6 = Lower Color is Rallye Green and the Vinyl Top Color is White. My next question is how much does vinyl tops run? Or in your thoughts a design of the look...would you go and put a vinyl top on?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

blue ss vbmenu_register("postmenu_719139", true); Senior Tech, I think I am going to wait on the county sticker to see if Louisa County is going to do away with it. I hope they do, I got my truck and Camaro they county would get. This morning I think you could hear my teeth drop to the ground when the woman said $473.53 and thank you sir. I think I said, I was like I have to go and and and go back to the bank as I left the DMV. I think that was the most they got today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode