Hello to all! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Smile Hello to all!

hello folks, I am new here! Nice to be here.

I am a bit excited as I will be going to SoCal in about 10 days and upon my return I will be bringing home my Aunts' TOTALLY original 1968 Camaro. She is the original owner, and I have wanted this car all my life. (I am 39 now) It has always been garage kept, and has the stock original paint, interior etc!!! (but the headliner is crumbling! Darn! LOL)

She called me one day and told me she would have no fun watching me work on this car if she were deceased so she insisted I come get it when I could......bummer huh!

I have a few questions if I may;

The Car has the 327 210 horse motor with a Powerslide and I am curious what the typical rear end gearing was for these models. (no A/C) I would like to know as I am going to most likely put a 4 speed manual in it, & I want to do all the research I can prior to buying.......

Also, who has a bunch of experience with Muncie M20 series transmissions? I believe that this is what I want, but need info as to durability, shiftability, retro fit details, etc.

Sure am excited bout' this car, and look forward to drawing from the sage advice from the group.

Take care and thank you in advance!

Don Bartlett
AKA: Original68fromauntsgarage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 03:31 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Hello to all!

It probably has 2.92 or 3.08 gears in it.
If switching to manual, consider a Richmond 5 speed. With a 3.08 rear gear, it's like having a close ratio and 4:10's in first through 4th, then you have 5th at one to one ratio for highway. The Hurst shifter is the best for this trans in a Camaro.
I did this swap to two cars, have pics on my web page.

If you want a regular 4 speed, consider a wide ratio trans for your high rear gearing, or consider changing gears to 3:45 or so if you want a close ratio trans.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 04:03 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Congrats. If its truly an untouched car, remember to save EVERYTHING you take off of it!
I love my M22 muncie. It's an awesome transmission. Loads of fun with the 3.73 rear. The close ratio is awesome.
The 3.72 with no OD is not great for the highway, it spins about 3100 RPM around 70 mph.

On that note, I am looking at doing a TKO-600 (5 speed). If you find yourself in the market for an M22 let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

BTW, welcome to the BEST Camaro site on the web.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Boy I would sure love to hear that Rockcrusher whine!!!

I will have to find out definitively whether or not it is 308.....but I do not doubt it.

I may actually be looking for that very trans depending..............Let me know........

Tell me what you guys think of this: http://www.5speeds.com/newm22.html

Thanks for the replies thus far I sure Appreciate it.

Don

Last edited by Original68fromauntsgarage; Feb 12th, 07 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add more content to original post.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 04:51 PM

Welcome
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Welcome and Congrats on the car. Love the screen name too. As someone mentioned just make sure you keep all the original parts you take off it. If your going to spend the $$ on a new manual transmission i would give some serious thought to the TKO 5 speeds. They are awesome. Make sure you post some pics of the car when you get it.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

Hi Don, welcome to Team Camaro. Congrats on the car. It sounds like a sweet deal. What part of So. Cal does your aunt live?

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Don, welcome to Team Camaro! Hope you enjoy your Aunt's car, she sounds like a winner. IF you are really considering a manual trans (and yes, I did the same thing, bought it with a powerslide, put in a muncie, then last winter a TKO500) give these guys a look: http://www.classicchevy5speed.com

While some might say a 3.08 is all the highway gear you need, what's the overall final drive in a new car? It's a heck of a lot lower than 3.08. When I drop my tko into overdrive, the rpm's drop to 2000 @ 70! And the 3.27 first with 3.08 out back she comes outa the hole like a muncie with 4.11's!.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

To all;

I most certainly plan to save every scrap from the car that may come off.

It is kind of a funny story 'cause my aunt has at least three people ask her to sell the car to them every time she goes out, and always has to say, "Sorry, I am giving it to my Nephew" man you should see their faces she says!

One thing for sure is that I will not under basically anything short of family catastrophe sell this car.......and even then it s a maybe at best............I have wanted this family heirloom for over 38 years........how's that for patience huh???

And yes my Aunt is a great lady.......I call her aunt Giggles cause she loves to laugh!

This will be my second Camaro as I had a '68 after I got out of High School back in the day........had a lot of fun it and my fair share of trouble as well!

As I said I still in the whole research phase, but I sure seem to really want to get a hold of an M20, possibly the super street gear style that gentleman sells on the link I showed. I don't know yet...........

Some of it may just have to fall into the hands of supply and and demand.........My money supply may not support my Camaro demand!

I am only but a lowly public servant...... But that will not keep me from doing things the right way!

I will have to post some pics of my last love...... a numbers matching, all original 1972 Chevelle SS 350, 4 speed........it was gorgeous! I miss it......bought kids with that one!!!! LOL

Thanks a lot for all the feedback I appreciate it a lot.

Don
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

......burbank
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome & Congrats! You'll fine out the Snowball Effect lives very well.

More than likely, the rear axle ratio is 3.08:1. There might even still be tag on one of the rear cover bolts with the ratio imprinted on it.

Pics? We love pics here. And, you might want to make an album of the car. Your aunt may have pictures when she bought it to begin. Would she have kept the paperwork? Window sticker? Warranty card or POP (the stamped metal card to the original owner)? There still might be the Build Sheet above the gas tank.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Welcome Don from Renton and I work in Everett at Boeing how about you small world you a Boeing guy too........,That is a cool story ,
I have a similar story ,as my Grandma promised me her 1962 Buick Special from just after she got it to when she passed in 91, when she died my uncle was executor and sorry to say my mother got nothing and who knows where the car is ,at least I got wonderful memories of my beautiful Grandmother ….Again good for you and your Aunt Giggles have fun and Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Congrats. If its truly an untouched car, remember to save EVERYTHING you take off of it!
I love my M22 muncie. It's an awesome transmission. Loads of fun with the 3.73 rear. The close ratio is awesome.
The 3.72 with no OD is not great for the highway, it spins about 3100 RPM around 70 mph.

On that note, I am looking at doing a TKO-600 (5 speed). If you find yourself in the market for an M22 let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

BTW, welcome to the BEST Camaro site on the web.

Another thing that you might want to do, is take pictures of where everything is so that you can have a picture of how it was before you took it appart.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Well, If it is pictures we like, then it is pictures we will show!

These are some pics of the Chevelle I had about 5 years ago. That is how long it has been since I have gotten to tinker.....and man have I missed it!

As you can see I like quality and doing it right!!.......Now as for Boeing well, I am sad to say I am not an employee there; I am just a little old firefighter who works in Mount Vernon. (Don't hold that against me! LOL) I will attempt to find some pics of my first Camaro as well.....that is if you do not mind looking at my "Scrapbook" !!!! thanks afor the hearty welcome all! Don
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Ah a 1972 , thats a great looking car,I likey

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode