New Member from Northern CA. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gean

New Member from Northern CA.

Hi Guys - I recently picked up a 67' coupe for my 15 yr-old son. The car was in a barn for the last 8 years (only 10min from my house!) and the price was a steal. Not original motor but a very solid rust-free Calif Camaro, and I actually drove the car home! My wife is not thrilled about the car selection (no air bags, shoulder belts, etc. etc.) However, both of my boys are excited about this father-son project - Hey, what could be better than wrenching on a first gen with your sons???

Geano in Santa Rosa, CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
Re: New Member from Northern CA.

I did the same thing with my stepson when he was 16. He's now 20 and we still have the car. I let him make all the decisions and share in the labor, but I pretty much bankrolled the project. It's still not 100% complete (are they ever), but we continue to work on it while he's in college. About two years ago, he traded it to me for a newer Tahoe, so now its technically "my" car. However I've already promised him he gets it when he graduates from college. (Seems like a nice "carrot" to keep him in school.)

Good luck!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: New Member from Northern CA.

Welcome to Team CAMARO

I quess I have to agree with the wife on the safety aspects - these cars are for a day and age where that stuff wasn't available or required.
I do insist all my kids cars have anit-lock brakes and Air-bags so I see where she is coming from.
I think the best way to get the kids to understand the shortcomings of the vehicle is to have them involved in it from day one and teaching them to understand how it is going to handle, stop and the reality that they will probably be more injured in a crash in it than a more modern vehicle.
Once they know the shortcomings and get some sense of pride in doing the work themselves, hopefully they will respect the vehicle and take care in driving it.

Hope you enjoy searching the site for info and project support. There are a wealth of past posts with more info than you can believe just a search away.
Type in your keyword and use a * after the word and it will get you the best results for most things.
Feel free to ask any questions by starting a new post if you can't find exactly what you need.

You might also want to visit the Camaro Research Group (CRG) at www.camaros.org
It contains a bunch of information and reports on items you will find on your car.
Many of the CRG members are also on this site.

Looking forward to you inputs in the threads;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Feb 21st, 07 at 09:25 PM. Reason: fixed the 'thumbsup' thingy ...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome to Team Camaro Geano. Good luck with the father and son project!

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 01:39 PM

Welcome
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 04:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

Welcome from the high desert....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome to Team Camaro from here in Maryland just east of DC -- sounds like a fun project -- be sure to post some pictures when you get a chance

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Welcome to the team from Pacifica, Geano! Post some pictures of your 67 when you get a chance....Santa Rosa is a beautiful area....My parents and 2 brothers live in up the road in Windsor...

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gean

Thanks for all the great info and links - if you're ever up in wine country give me a shout.

Geano
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Welcome GeanO ,and good for you you made the right slection 1st gen camaro ,if safety is a concern ,plenty of mid 90's cars for cheap with anti and air bags ,save the camaro for weekend afternoon shows or ???....Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

I am also a new member. I live right down the street, and have a 67 RS that I have owned since 1989,about a week before the earthquake.
I cant wait until my kids are old enough to enjoy this hobby with me. I have three boys 2,5&7.
how long have you lived here?
Have you been to the cruise/show in Windsor? There is a great one there in the summer I think it is called peggy sue?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Well, welcome also Brandon, It is called Peggy Sues, I attended the first couple of years in Windsor. This years show has been moved to Santa Rosa. It is a 3 or 4 day affair...I would go, but my parents 3 car garage is now a storage facility, so no room for the camaro... Mike

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

It was in Windsor last year. You should come up,Hopefully I will have my chevelle gone by then and you can keep it here
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gean

Hey Brandon - I was born and raised in Santa Rosa, yes, a local boy. I've always been a Chevy-man and I'm just happy my boys are into the muscle car gig. I've haven't owned a "real" muscle car in 20 years - last one I had was 68 vette convertible 427/435 (wish i still had that!). I take my boys to all the car shows around here and there are some really good ones: Cloverdale, Petaluma, Geyserville, and of course Santa Rosa. Would love to get together and chat camaros and kids. Send me an email and maybe we could share some stories. - geano
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gean

Finally - a pic of our 1967 project! This was taken the day we drove the car home and my kids wanted to wash the dust off the car. Interior is good and body is pretty straight but paint is aweful (looks ok wet...)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...1967Camaro.jpg

geano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode