Hello from new Aus member - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Hello from new Aus member

Hello all

Dean here from Australia, just came across this site while researching info on camaros and have started to read through the many posts that will hopefully help me make the right choice when buying my first camaro.

Couple of questions firstly. What sites are best to look for cars for sale in the US.

Secondly to properly ID a 1st gen what is needed? trim tag, vin number or both?

Also I have come across a US site offering replacement trim tags......is this LEGAL and if so surely this is frowned upon by the purists?

Last of all any other Aussies here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 07:32 AM

Re: Hello from new Aus member

Welcome
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 10:35 AM
Team Member
Tony

Cool Re: Hello from new Aus member

Hello Dean..
Welcome to Team Camaro.

Q1 - ebay and craigslist seem to have a good selection and good search engine, but has just as many scammers as honest sellers. Buyer beware.
Any site that welcomes car enthusists and has member forums is ussually a good place to look.
Depending on your flavor, check out places like: www.Musclecar.com www.camaros.com www.chevelles.com www.corvettes.com

Q2 - Properly, you would look for VIN, POP, TRIMTAG, BuildSheet (also known as broadcast sheet), Dealer sticker.
Very few 1st gens have it all, and if they do they're out of my price range.
There are several hidden VINs on 1st gen Camaros which are also important to verify.
If you can't find all of the above, a VIN, TT and POP can help determine the other info.

Q3 - www.trimtags.com does sell replacement TT and VIN plates.
This is a tricky area, if you contact them, they will tell you that reproducing and selling Trimtags is not illegal, but attaching them to a different car is fraud.

Q4 - yes, Team Camaro has lots of Aussies, and Yanks, and Brits, and Canucks, and you get the idea.
Team Camaro is the best Camaro club on the internet, and we're all one big happy family.

Remember, siblings don't always agree, but they'll be the first to ask for pics of your Camaro!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome to this site.

(LARRY)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome from the Beach! Newby Aussies buy the first round of Foster's.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome to Team Camaro Dean. Good luck on finding your dream car. As already stated......search the car sites for a Camaro, but do beware of the scammers that frequent these sites. You can pick out the fraudulent ads, by the asking price of the car. If the asking price is too good to be true, it's a scam. Happy hunting!

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!

Last edited by Camaro Dave; Mar 3rd, 07 at 09:25 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 04:51 PM

I am from australia welcome

I am in melbourne
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Thanks for the info Tony and also for sharing the pics of your 68 build via your web page. Its good to see that no matter how bad the rust you can get replacement panels to revive these old classics.

Everret: No self respecting Aussie would drink Forsters thats why we EXPORT it ALL to you guys

Still plenty to look at on ths site, but anyone care to share thier fav Camaro links.
Attach is a pic of my current project. For those that dont know its a
1976 Holden (GM) Torana SS Hatchback

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 07:50 PM
Team Member
Tony

Cool Re: Hello from new Aus member

Hey Dean..
Nice SS ..!
Is that the same car Mel Gibson drove in the original MadMax?
The Yellow car with NOS, when he was a cop..
Favorite Camaro links.... this one! Team Camaro..!
for Camaro details www.camaros.org
other Camaro favorites...
http://www.camaroz28.com/
http://www.nastyZ28.com
http://www.lsitech.com
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/

Glad you liked my project....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Welcome from the Beach! Newby Aussies buy the first round of Foster's.
Welome from Across the pond m8...Aussie can buy All the drinks

No Mad max was a 70 or 71 Aussie Ford Falcon Coupe

' We should start a thread on Monaros m8..I dont think most of the Yanks here realise just how good...better the HK/HT Monaros could out perform the Camaros ...shame Aussie GM didnt include BBs.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Tony
Steps is correct that the coupe Mad Max drove was a Ford of early 70s similar to the one below

And this one is what Steps is Talking about when refering to Early Aussie Monaros

Hope you guys dont mind me showing pics of some aussie cars. The Monaros around this model were exported to South Africa as Chev Chevelles I believe. Some have been Imported back into Aus recently as the price of good early Monaros has gone up.

I have a lot to learn inregards to the Camaros as I have noticed a wide range of prices.
Out of interest does anyone produce/publish a price guide for 1st gens?

I have my eye on a car that is in transit by one of the importers here. If someone has the time I will email them a link just to get an opinion of US value for the car and any other comments about it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 12:57 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford

Dean, welcome.

I am from Melb, my 68 arrived in Oz late last week. Bought it off eBay...was very cautious and spent lots of time researching....very happy with it.

Nice Torry

Rgds
Chris
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Hey chris can you fill me in on the story of your Camaro ie who transported, where did you buy it from (location) Etc etc value etc etc any thing you can think off that I may need to know.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 01:38 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Dean,

Used Auto Ezy Search in Bayswater to bring it in $3300 + GST of the car (ie 10% of the value you pay for the car). They literally do everything for you...you just drop the money in their account and pick up teh car when it arrives...could not be happier. George runs it - great guy. http://www.autoezysearch.com/

I paid $9K US for my car. Probably a bit more than it is worth but I knew what I was getting and had done my research. My car is running with full interior, but has had new qtrs all round, new floor, new boot floor etc installed (still in primer). Needs new door skins. Other than that no rust and all straight...which was important as my project is highly custom, with all new running gear (literally everything), new chassis, new suspension, new brakes, new custom dash and console, all new seats etc etc...so what i was after was a clean rust free straight shell and was prepared to pay extra to know what i was getting.

AUD $16K total including all shipping costs to get it to my house. Bought it in Nov with Xmas it took a little longer to get here (ie late Feb).

PM me if you want more info, happy to share any additional details.

Rgds
Chris [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHRIS%7E1.LUX/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 01:41 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

sorry, my car was in Florida, found it on eBay but talked to the owner a lot...spent almost a year searching eBay, this site, craigslist mainly for the right car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode