Hey (maybe someone can help me out) - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 07, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey (maybe someone can help me out)

Hey, just joined the forum, looks like a great site!! I am from Minnesota and am in need of some assistance, maybe you can help me out. I look forward to chatting about Camaros here
-Steve

So I was visiting my grandmother down in Wisconsin this weekend and we were looking through our old photos and came across my grandpas 69 Camaro SS...These pics were taken around the summer of 1979 in Onalaska, WI (by La Crosse). The car was parked at this location after 10 years of driving it. Then one day the Mississippi River (in the background of the side view) started to flood and my grandpa moved it back to his garage where it sat for an additional number of years. For some GODAWFUL reason, he took the engine (I think it was a 396, not sure though) he took out the engine from the Camaro, put it in a Suburban, and sold the Suburban with the frickin Camaro engine in it!! Then it remained in that garage until he died in 1999. At that time I was about 10 years old and new nothing about cars and i had referred to that car as "A piece of crap in grandpas garage" Then when I got into cars i realized how cool that car was. My mom almost took the car to our house when he died but she didnt because "theres no place to put it" when we have a nice huge back yard to put it in and tarp it...but whats done is done....my grandma sold the camaro body (no motor/trans along with other things missing) sold it to a guy in the La Crosse, WI area for around $1500-$2000 or so(dont remember exact price) After seeing these I am now gonna try and find the guy who bought my grandpas car and see if he still has it or not because I would like to bring it back into the family. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it, this car is awesome to me.
-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 07, 08:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: Hey (maybe someone can help me out)

Welocme! I hope you can find your grandpa's car. Moreover I hope you can buy it from the guy who stole it for 2000 bucks. Big block SS/RS drop top= BIG money. Don't be too sick, you would only drain your bank account like I have anyway! But seriously you could try placing an add in the paper or something like that. Not sure how tight lipped the DMV is in your area, they might could help. Good luck, I know it's special since it was your grandpa's.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 12:14 AM

Welcome

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club from the Beach! Good history and good luck.

Know of any Paralegals? Vehicluar Title Services?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, my grandma is trying real hard to remember the name of the guy who she sold it to, she knew his name just cant think of it. She said she would go look for documentation she might have on the car and let me know. Other than that I have no clue where to start.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 05:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome to Team Camaro and good luck with your search

==Doug
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Hey, welcome.....we're practically neighbors !! If you're Grandma has any old documentation with the VIN on it, that would be the best and only clue you need. See if she has any old insurance or tab renewal papers....yeah, it's a long shot since it sat undriven for so long. I tracked down a 70 SS Chevelle I used to own a few years ago by the VIN I put together from the partial on the engine I still have. I went to the DMV and they won't release any personal info, but they verified the VIN was still good and the car was licensed. They sent a letter to the current owner on my behalf and he did call me a few months later. I met him and got to see the car again. Waaaaaay to many changes and mods to feel like my old car tho...... and way to spendy to buy it back. Sometimes these dreams do just fizzle to an end.....

...38 Chev coupe, street rod
...54 Chev 210 coupe
...62 Impala SS, driver/project
...67 Camaro, ss/rs LA built driver/project
...66 Chevelle SS, Atlanta built 138 driver/project
...69 C10, cab and clip may end up on the '89 rollback
...70 Chevelle SS, Canadian documented Z25 project
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 06:37 AM
Retired
Jim

Looks like a Pace car Z11 from the pics, good luck finding it again and welcome to Team Camaro from another minneSNOWtan

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 06:42 AM

welcome and good luck man
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all and nice to meet you
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD88IROC View Post
Hey, welcome.....we're practically neighbors !! If you're Grandma has any old documentation with the VIN on it, that would be the best and only clue you need. See if she has any old insurance or tab renewal papers....yeah, it's a long shot since it sat undriven for so long. I tracked down a 70 SS Chevelle I used to own a few years ago by the VIN I put together from the partial on the engine I still have. I went to the DMV and they won't release any personal info, but they verified the VIN was still good and the car was licensed. They sent a letter to the current owner on my behalf and he did call me a few months later. I met him and got to see the car again. Waaaaaay to many changes and mods to feel like my old car tho...... and way to spendy to buy it back. Sometimes these dreams do just fizzle to an end.....
Thanks for the tip, that looks like my best shot there unless she can remember his name too. Ill keep everyone updated on this as it unfolds!

PS. I live in Maplewood, literally right across the street from St. Paul
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the Team! Hope you find the car. Good luck

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Looking for the VIN is worth a shot. Some people keep those records for tax purposes a loooooooong time... How long ago did she sell it ?? Who knows, by now it may be in the hands of another Team member .....

Since you're in Maplewood, you're even closer....I'm 2 miles north of I 94 up Manning/Co Rd 15

...38 Chev coupe, street rod
...54 Chev 210 coupe
...62 Impala SS, driver/project
...67 Camaro, ss/rs LA built driver/project
...66 Chevelle SS, Atlanta built 138 driver/project
...69 C10, cab and clip may end up on the '89 rollback
...70 Chevelle SS, Canadian documented Z25 project
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Looks like a Pace car Z11 from the pics, good luck finding it again ...
I was thinking the same thing. I'm still kicking myself for passing on one in 1984. (I wanted a 1967 Camaro instead. ) Hopefully the guy who bought it restored it as a Z11, then it should be easier to find. (Assuming he still has it.)

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD88IROC View Post
Looking for the VIN is worth a shot. Some people keep those records for tax purposes a loooooooong time... How long ago did she sell it ?? Who knows, by now it may be in the hands of another Team member .....

Since you're in Maplewood, you're even closer....I'm 2 miles north of I 94 up Manning/Co Rd 15
Oh I know where that is I have driven past there a few times. She sold the car back in September of 1999. She may have those records in a file cabinet, she was gonna look for me and let me know.

The closest intersection to me is Larpenteur Ave and McKnight Road in Maplewood
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Thumbs up Re: Hey (maybe someone can help me out)

Hello and welcome from OHIO. Good luck with finding the Camaro.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode