new guy with question - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

new guy with question

High new guy with question about a 1968 SS camaro with 396.I am currenlty in the process of installing a rebuilt 396 engine in my camaro with 1968 model casting numbers. this motor will have the rectangular port heads and I have found a GM 3933163 intake with 68 cast numbers also. here is the question I currently have a HEI distributor to run in the car and was wondering if this distributor would work with out clearance issues or any other problems. Any help would be greaty appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 07:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Re: new guy with question

Hi,
In my 1968 Camaro I used a MSD 8360 Ready To Run Billet Distributor with a Blaster 3 Coil. I liked the upgrade for the performance and for the fact that I do not have a bulky HEI Cap. The Coil installs in the stock location. No clearance issues either. I hope this helps.
Tory
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Welcome to Team Camaro.

If your running a STD Tranny, I recommend the 5048201 Series Mallory Mechanical Advance Distributor with either the UniLite or Magnetic Breakerless Trigger. Standards prefer Mechanical Advance Timing as you're feeding power manually via a clutch. You're likely going to run a performance cam with them square ports and going to have relatively low vacuum which causes issues with vacuum dependent devices. In my experience, other then tapping the engines vacuum for the PCV and Power Brake Booster, there is no need to run a vacuum advance that will not be happy with Performance cams and cause issues; with idle to power transition, plugs fowling and blowing the exhaust system off the car - LOL

Again, Welcome to Team Camaro.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Thanks for the help guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 10:21 AM

I went through this issue on my 69.Couldn't get an HEI in there unless I wanted to sit the block right on the motor mounts. So I went with a Mallory dist and coil with a 6AL box. Works great,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 01:16 PM

i have heard some guys get them to fit (just lucky i guess) however there's now way one would fit in mine. i also use the msd ready to run works great and the distributor is'nt jambed up against the firewall.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

thanks again for the help and the pics guys when I get the motor in I will send some pics of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode