New member, with not *quite* a barn find. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Talking New member, with not *quite* a barn find.

It's more like an old man's garage find.

Hiya folks.

Name's John, I go by "The Redeye Knight". (Long story)

I'm now the proud owner of not only my first Camaro, but a very special one.

On the 13th, I got a call from an old friend. One of my older brother's classmates.

He wanted to tell me that the 69 Camaro that his father had was up for sale. This car is the one that made a Chevy guy out of me in '72 or so. I was amazed his father (now in his 90s) still had it. It's been driven around 5K in the last 25 years.

When I called the old boy, he told me what he wanted for the car, I told him he was nuts, and could get several times that at auction. I was ~tersely~ informed that (I paraphrase) he didn't need the money and he wanted the car to go where it was loved. Not to a reseller.

It's a base model with manual everything. 89K original. Early production, it's equipped with a 2 bbl327, HD 3 speed and single exhaust.

Even has a quadraphonic 8 track player in the dash.

This car hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

Please see the attached image.

The original color was Le Mans Blue, but it was sloppily repainted burgundy. I plan to restore the original color.

A very mild driver. All the performance of a sixer, without that pesky fuel economy!

This isn't only a terrific find, it's rediscovering an old friend that I thought was lost.

The plan is, front discs, aftermarket sway bars front and rear, and gas shocks. This in addition to freshening up the front end. Not gonna touch the drivetrain. It runs like a happy cat.

I've got about a million questions, so I'll try and really cruise the board and read a bunch before I ask.

John
Redeye Knight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morning1.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	3078  

Last edited by Redeye Knight; Apr 23rd, 07 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 09:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: New member, with not *quite* a barn find.

Wow too cool! ask away and welcome to Team Camaro.

You will have to search pretty long and hard, ...but you just might find a few other 69 lovers around here....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the Team John. That's an amazing story. Glad you ended up with the car. Why can't I have good friends like that

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech

Some people have all the luck, great find!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Glad to see the car will be in good hands -- welcome to Team Camaro

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

...sounds like the car is in good hands
Welcome to Team Camaro...

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye Knight View Post
When I called the old boy, he told me what he wanted for the car, I told him he was nuts, and could get several times that at auction. I was ~tersely~ informed that (I paraphrase) he didn't need the money and he wanted the car to go where it was loved. Not to a reseller.

John
Redeye Knight
Exact same way I got my car John....Guy told me he was passing the torch , not selling the car.
Mine is a survivor with 40K orig miles.
Keep her safe, and welcome!

Uncle Tupelo

Uncle Tupelo's Free Advice
Always remember, you only get ONE midlife crisis....use it wisely!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Great find, nice car, excellent luck. Welcome to the Club!

Don't be afraid to ask, plenty of knowledge here. Did the previous owner name the car?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 06:15 AM
Retired
Jim

Thats an awesome story John, welcome to Team Camaro. Great car too. Im sure the old guy will want to see your resto process as well, take lots of pics as you go along and share them with him, and Im sure you will but take him for a ride when its all safe with new hoses and belts and tires, etc. His smile will be worth millions.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 06:21 AM

shes a beauty - congrats
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: New member, with not *quite* a barn find.

Tstone's sig reads:
"Classic's only cost alot if you add up how much you spend"

LMAO!

Tstone, as a guy with a garage full of old Harleys, ('35, '42, '51, '60, '78, '88, '04) I can certainly relate. I've *got* to steal that line!
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redeye...ht04/my_photos

Ordered new brake lines today. All brake cylinders seem to be tight. No leaks. Front seal looks good too. Water hoses and belts look to be relatively fresh.

That CA smog pump and corresponding manifolds gotta go tho. Noisy damn thing. Ugly too.

I'll likely replace the rear cylinders when I upgrade the front to discs. Then blow everything out with solvent and put DOT 5 in.

Any recommendations for gas shocks these days? Those KYBs are getting mighty spendy of late.

Here's a few shots of my new baby, some are with it still coated with dust in the place I pulled it out of.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redeye...ht04/my_photos

Redeye Knight
Kittitas, WA
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 09:02 AM

I might be wrong but isn't that a 350? Don't the 327's have the alternators on the other side?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 09:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSTONE View Post
I might be wrong but isn't that a 350? Don't the 327's have the alternators on the other side?
It's a '69 vs '67 & '68 thing. All '69s got the alt on the pass side. 327's came in early '69s and were replaced by 307's part way through the production year.

I'm interested in the smog, I had a '69 Calif Camaro 327 2bbl that didn't come with smog (I was 2nd owner back in late '70's) Mine was a powerglide and this ones a 3speed stick. I guess that made the difference. I just rebuilt a carb on a '70 307 2bbl PG Chevelle that doesn't have any smog and it's a 100% survivor.

Anyway that really has nothing to do with anything, Redeye welcome to TC and thanks for the pictures. It's cool to hear when someone finds a deal out there...Enjoy!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSTONE View Post
To be honest with you, I haven't checked any numbers. The VIN shows it to be early production. I'm not a Camaro scholar, (yet) so I'm still in the dark about many of these things.

When it was purchased, it was a very low miles bank repo. I *do* know that it's been untouched other than maintenance since the early '70s.

At some point I'll clean up the engine compartment and get the block #. Then I'll know for sure.

Not that it matters much to me. It's a really sweet little driver.

Redeye Knight
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
It's a '69 vs '67 & '68 thing. All '69s got the alt on the pass side. 327's came in early '69s and were replaced by 307's part way through the production year.

I'm interested in the smog, I had a '69 Calif Camaro 327 2bbl that didn't come with smog (I was 2nd owner back in late '70's) Mine was a powerglide and this ones a 3speed stick. I guess that made the difference. I just rebuilt a carb on a '70 307 2bbl PG Chevelle that doesn't have any smog and it's a 100% survivor.

Anyway that really has nothing to do with anything, Redeye welcome to TC and thanks for the pictures. It's cool to hear when someone finds a deal out there...Enjoy!
Thanks.

I just went out and looked, and as long as that P.O.S. smog pump is there, I have no hope of seeing the number.

I don't think it's a year thing. I knew a guy that moved to WA from CA with his 60s Ford van with the itty-bitty sixer, and it had been retrofit with a smog pump.

My car's in WA now, and that pump's outa here as soon as I find manifolds!

Anybody out there have a proper set of exhaust manifolds for this thing? the more I see this smog pump the more I hate looking at it. (As well as listening to it)

Redeye Knight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode