My Camaro arrived today - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

My Camaro arrived today

Hello everyone, I'm Tom from Arizona. Because my grandfather's health is failing, he can no longer drive his 1967 Camaro, and he knew that I was interested in it so we had it shipped here. Well, it arrived today. He was the original owner, bought it in New Mexico, and kept it all these years. My Dad drove this car some during high school.

1967 Camaro (plain jane):

Since it has been sitting for a while (a couple years), I'm not sure if it runs, but my friend and I are going to try to start it this weekend.
I don't think the transmission is original, but the engine might be. I'm going to post all the codes and tags and things I could find in the Tag Team section to see what exactly I've got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Re: My Camaro arrived today

And some engine shots:

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 01:18 AM
Senior Tech
mike

That little car would be very much fun with the six cylnder rebuilt with a performance cam, a 4 barrel manifold, a set of 6=8 headers, put in a 4 or 5 speed trans, 4:56 gears, and you would have a very fast little racer that would put some of the V8 cars on the trailer. Cheap fun, just a idea, but I always wanted to make a giant killer out of a six popper......of course my V8's are always a comfort. Oh yes, be sure to thank granpa in a very special way, dancing girls should do the trick...................

OK, the others are right! Save this little jewel of a car as it is, I guess when I saw it that little deep secret to make a killer 6 popper just blurted out. I am not sure exactly how to thank your Grandpa for sure, but the "dancing girl thing", still has a nice ring to it.................never too old for that...............lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nikkisdad; May 10th, 07 at 05:06 AM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

congrats, make sure you take care of that family heirloom

68 Z/28, grotto blue, protect-o-plate
67 plain jane survivor, deep water blue, protect-o-plate
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I'd leave it just the way it looks now, awesome. Nothing wrong with it. Thanks Dad, & Grandpa. Its a family heirloom. Why not keep as it is and pass it along to your kids?

Have it professionally detailed, maybe steam clean the carpet, if not replace it, reseal the front & rear windshields, steam clean all over, update all the hoses, belts, and fluids, filters, etc., and enjoy the memories.

The ding in the front pass fender is going to cost you more to fix than buying a NOS/used fender, I'd leave it, just my thoughts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 04:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Neat car , ...just as others have said, ...I'd clean 'er up, ...and enjoy it. ...and of course, ...Thank Grandpa for passing on the treasure, ...and some heartfelt prayers for him ...

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Congratulations. Its awesome that your grandfather was the orginal owner and you have the opportunity to keep the car in the family. I'd clean it up, make any necessary minor repairs to get it running, then I would enjoy driving it.

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 04:56 AM
Senior Tech

Its a shame he cant use it anymore, Passing it on to you is just what I would do hopeing to save it. Make sure he knows you will. For him to keep it around that long he obviously cared alot for it. Your very lucky to receive that peice of history.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 05:55 AM
Team Member
Rob

I'm pretty certian that trans is not orgainal. It looks the car used to be automatic colume shifter car and then someone ended up putting a 3 speed floor shift trans in it.

Of course that theory is out the window if it was a 3 on the tree, but I don't recall Camaro's coming out that way.

Have fun with it. Looks like a fun project. Enjoy
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I once owned a 69 camaro that was a factory 3 speed manual column shift.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Is there a shift indicator on the dash?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 07:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

I like that car!! Which 6 is it, the 230 or 250.
FYI: The local first generation club is meeting at the pavillions in Scottsdale on May 19th. Bring your car !!!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 07:26 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

My guess is the car was a "3 on the tree" and converted to a floor shift. Tom between visits here and hanging out with your Camaro you need to be talking to your Grandfather and your dad learning all about the cars history. Even if it's only phone calls you'll make your Grandfathers day spending time with him. You'll learn things about both him and your dad you didn't probably know and the car will become even more special.

Get it running, make it safe to be on the road and go from there. Too many would run out and spend all their money on wheels and tires and not have money to fix the brakes. Don't change anything about that car until you feel comfortible that it will get you home and back no matter how far you drive it.

Then think about the bit of history you have before going any further. Very cool car!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 08:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

3 on the tree, 6 banger like mine used to be. beautiful car, enjoy it.

Don't stop now!!!

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old May 10th, 07, 08:20 AM

Great daily driver, grats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode