Problems putting a ZZ4 into a '69 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 15th, 07, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bri

Problems putting a ZZ4 into a '69

Hello,

I am having trouble putting a zz4 into a 69. I tried to install the engine but the HEI distributor would hit the firewall and the stock mechanical fuel pump would hit the frame. I noticed that the engine brackets that came with the car did not look to be original ( they don't look like the ones for sale on ss396.com in that they have a "lip" which extends downwards on the rear side of the frame ) however there was a 3/4 inch gap between the frame and this lip of the engine bracket. Assuming that the wrong brackets came with the car, i moved the brackets 3/4 of an inch forward ( to do this i welded shut the original holes in the bracket shut and re-drilled new holes so that the "lip" on the bracket now lay flush against the frame ). With this done I could now install the zz4 crate motor but this has caused other problems....

Behind the ZZ4 i have a Tremec TKO 600 which i am using to replace the auto that was there before. i am using the Keisler.com kit which is supposed to fit perfectly. But...its not perfect. I am going to have to make adjustments to the Zbar, and the shifter looks like it is going to be too far forward in the console. Another problem is that there is about 2.5 inches of exposed yoke which looks to be a little too much. Finally, and of lesser importance, the exhaust is not lining up. I can always weld in an extension on the exaust but it just seems like there should be an easier answer.

After all this, my question is, has anyone installed a zz4 into a 69 and can you please tell me if you were able to do so using the HEI distributor which came with the motor. Is there any way to tell what the correct position of the engine should be ? I will need to get the correct allignment with the tranny too.

Thanks very much. This is my first camaro and my first post so I appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 16th, 07, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech
Charles

Re: Problems putting a ZZ4 into a '69

a couple of summers ago i put my ZZZ motor (should be the same block as yours) in without any problems with the HEI or mechanical fuel pump. i used the repro Z28 frame mounts from Rick's and solid engine side mounts from Moroso since i couldn't get either the repro style rubber mounts or poly mounts to set down on the frame mounts correctly to get the motor mount bolts in. the solid mounts set down just fine and the motor sits far enough forward to give me a good 1/2" of clearance behind the HEI distributor. i also have no problem with clearance of the harmonic balancer and oversized swaybar. my clutch linkage and tranny cross member bolted right up.

with your motor 3/4" inch farther forward as you say you will probably have tranny mount issues and perhaps oil pan to frame issues as well as clutch linkage.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
TC

Re: Problems putting a ZZ4 into a '69

So do the ZZ4 motors cause problems when converting to a manual such as Tremec for linkage, etc.? I getting close to puuling the trigger on a new motor and Tremec and debating between the ZZ4 and Blueprint Engine 383. any ideas for compatibility, reliability, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode