internal explosion - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 07, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up internal explosion

My car is an 82 Camaro, 305, all stock, daily driver. At first start up one morning, I had some sort of crankcase internal explosion, and literally blew the passenger side valve cover off the engine. It also rounded out the other valve cover and now has an excessive oil leak at rear of engine. It happened instantly as soon as the car started. At the time, it started right up, and still runs fine. It just sounded like a gun shot went off.
I can repair all of these things, but I need to know what caused this so I can fix that and it will not happen again. Engine was rebuilt about 40,000 miles back.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks-
Bob J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 03:28 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: internal explosion

look for any evidence of suspious wire's possible remain's of a timer(clock)!! check to see if your life insurance policy has been upgraded lately!!! sleep with 1 eye open untill you have figured this one out!! seriously I have no clue other then somehow a fuel leak or carb related trouble

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech

Bob, it's pretty rare that you get an internal engine explosion, but it can happen when there is a backfire from the carb or tb and it ignites the gasses in the crankcase causing an explosion. The PCV valve is suppose to prevent this from happening. If it's bad, it will not close in the event of a backfire through the carb or Throttle body causing an explosion in the engine crankcase.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
My car is an 82 Camaro, 305, all stock, daily driver.
If over long period of short runs, petrol can become disolved in the oil,
This is usually noticed after a lot of around town running, then go on a trip...check the oil and the level has dropped due to the volitile petrol has evaporated off.
An engine that is getting a bit worn...(rings, valve guides) would be more prone...yrs since the PVC valve has been serviced, and lengthy times between oil changes.
thu it is very rare to get to levels where enough oxygen/gas accumilates to cause and explosion, it can happen when combined with what C/Dave describes with the PVC above.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
look for any evidence of suspious wire's possible remain's of a timer(clock)!! check to see if your life insurance policy has been upgraded lately!!! sleep with 1 eye open untill you have figured this one out!! seriously I have no clue other then somehow a fuel leak or carb related trouble
Thanks for your warnings. I think my wife is innocent on this one, she was standing in front of the car when it went off-I'll keep an eye on her anyway.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave View Post
Bob, it's pretty rare that you get an internal engine explosion, but it can happen when there is a backfire from the carb or tb and it ignites the gasses in the crankcase causing an explosion. The PCV valve is suppose to prevent this from happening. If it's bad, it will not close in the event of a backfire through the carb or Throttle body causing an explosion in the engine crankcase.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll be sure to change the PCV valve when I have the engine out. I'm thinking the oil pan & timming cover are both rounded out like the valve covers.
Thanks-
Bob
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm impressed with the number of responses I've received.
Thanks-
Bob J
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
If over long period of short runs, petrol can become disolved in the oil,
This is usually noticed after a lot of around town running, then go on a trip...check the oil and the level has dropped due to the volitile petrol has evaporated off.
An engine that is getting a bit worn...(rings, valve guides) would be more prone...yrs since the PVC valve has been serviced, and lengthy times between oil changes.
thu it is very rare to get to levels where enough oxygen/gas accumilates to cause and explosion, it can happen when combined with what C/Dave describes with the PVC above.
Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
Bob J
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

internal explosion........ car had Mexican Food for dinner most likely

I'm with Steps and others. Had to have a volatile mix, had to have ignition source.

I'd damsure feel all my valve guides for excessive slop.

I had a little V-16 Cat one time wore out a n exhaust valve guide and tried to blow that valve cover in half, and kept running... probly ran a week before somebody spotted it.

Tim Smith
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 03:43 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptop View Post
Thanks for your warnings. I think my wife is innocent on this one, she was standing in front of the car when it went off-I'll keep an eye on her anyway.
oh ok. did she jump or hit the deck, or snap her finger's as if something went wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode