I'll admit, I'm a newbie, I know nothing. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I'll admit, I'm a newbie, I know nothing.

Hey I'm Nathan. I'm about to start my second year of college here in Arizona. Now I know absolutely nothing about restoration or modifications. I'll take any advice that anyone in this forum could give me. It would help me out so much. I know what I want, but I don't know every single minor detail. I don't know every part I need or what most parts do. Or if you do this and that, then this is what happens, I know nothing. I've always admired muscle cars like no other. I've been saving up since my senior year and after I get out of college I hope to have enough to be able to buy a 1969 Camaro SS. I don't know if I should keep the car original or modify it. I want to make the interior modern. I want the drivetrain to be somewhat original but modified to now. It would be nice to have a Hemi, but is that even possible? or just plain stupid? Please help me with any advice, constructive criticism, anything will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 12:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: I'll admit, I'm a newbie, I know nothing.

HEMI is a Mopar engine. Be careful with words like that. You just find a car you like and ask yourself, Do I have the time and dedication, money and sacrifice needed to do a car in this shape? Or do I want a running driving car I can work on as I go?
Then post your questions and you will get LOTS of advice.
Good ZLuck in your ventures and STAY IN SCHOOL! until you are ready. I waited 8 years and some change to drive mine...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 01:04 PM
Team Member
Matt

Ditto. Finish school. Big boy toys are expensive. $10/hour doesn’t buy many parts . . . and it takes a lot of parts.

You do know one very important thing—you found camaros.net. This site is informational gold.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 01:33 PM
Team Member
Matt

Another thought—you might want to see if there are any local adult-education classes you could take in your spare time. I took an evening welding class so I could weld in my own floors. Maybe you could find/take an auto body class or an automotive maintenance class.

During school I worked (for a short while) at a Jiffy-Lube place. I learned some basics. Looking back, I wish I would hit up a few body shops. I think a summer job at a body shop would be fun and informative.

I’m guessing there are a few car clubs in your area. See if you can find a local chapter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Welcome Nathan from a fellow Arizonian. As the guys above have pointed out, this site is awesome and a wealth of knowledge. I have learned so much here and I thought I knew these cars.
There are some Camaro clubs out here. I belong to 1st Generation Camaro's of Az. PM me if you would like more info on them. Where are you going to school?
There are also several places out here that fellow car nuts meet every weekend and sit around and have a good time. I can also give that info if interested. Talk to ya later and Welcome..

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 07, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys! i plan on learning a lot in the future and to of course stay in school, lol.

i am planning way ahead because i wont be buying a camaro until I'm done with college and I have my degree.

now this is probably gonna be a wide range type of question, but if I'm only interested in first generation camaros, then what first gen camaro would be the best? a Z? a SS?

and i'm gonna look for some body classes and welding, anything i can take basically. what i want is gonna take a long time, modifying an old car isn't gonna be easy, but i'm up for it. or i could just be like every other college guy working on a tuned out BMW or infiniti G35, but in my opinion, a camaro would be humble and different. even though this is more of a dream right now, it will happen.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 07, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

alright, well guys im leaving for the navy soon, so my camaro is gonna have to wait. best of luck to everyone and your camaro. god bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode