1967 Camaro near St. Louis, MO with a unique story. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

1967 Camaro near St. Louis, MO with a unique story.

Hello everyone!

Normally, if you get ahold of an older midwest car, it's basically held together by the paint. I expected as much when I answered a craigslist ad for a 67 Camaro for pocket change.

When I arrived, I saw her. Her quarters were already removed, but the rear shock mounts had been fixed and the tailpan and lower rear section had been completely replaced. She still needed new quarters welded on and at least one new rocker. The roof was decent, but needed every other piece of sheetmetal.

The scary thing was that the floor didn't have a single speck of rust on it. Neither did the trunk pan, dash, or firewall. Also, the frame rails were more solid than my 99 Z28.

I pulled the trigger and stood talking with the young guy I bought it from when suddenly his dad pulled up in a restored convertible old Caprice. His dad began talking to my friend and his face and voice tickled a memory.

I mentioned where I used to live near Cahokia Mounds and the son kind of started, then called his dad over. After speaking with him I realized that he had known my grandparents and had come to visit once when I was playing with my Hot Wheels (I was about 7 or 8 years old). He had pulled up in his Camaro that he'd owned at the time.

My grandparents had really liked him and thought him a "respectable young man". He had also been very fond of my grandparents, referring to them as "really good people."

My grandfather was actually the one responsible for me WANTING an old muscle car for most of my life. I've always said I wanted a 67 Camaro because they were all muscle, no frills. My grandfather had several old muscle cars (I remember his 442 the most).

I brought the car to store at a place where I do side work in a nice big storage shed until I can get my garage ready for the project. I'm pretty excited and think the restoration will go really fast (considering what I'm working with) once all of the welding is done. I've actually never welded anything before in my life...but there's a time to learn! I know it wouldn't have scared my grandfather any...and the good people I bought the car from have restored more first gens than you can count on one hand and have told me to let them know if I have any questions.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I'm here to make some new friends who share my passion and whose first gens "talked" to them when they went to see them. I could hear her loud and clear. She told me about when she was new and what it was like back then. She was rust free and beautiful.

She may have been a little L6, but she wants to be a SS 396 with a 4 speed. I'm thinking a lighter metallic blue with black interior and white bumble bee stripe on the front. All muscle, no frills...well...maybe she'll get a radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 10:48 AM

Re: 1967 Camaro near St. Louis, MO with a unique story.

cool story and welcome.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Congrats on the purchase. I, as well, just picked up a '68 project. I'm going little more modern with an LS1 to replace the long gone original 6 cyl.

In addition to this forum, you'll find a lot more locals on www.mofbody.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 01:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Lets see some pics! Welcome Logan. I'm just over in Belleville.

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 07:20 AM

Welcome to TC. Jefferson City, MO here!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome! Looks like I already found a couple people from around the St. Louis area.

I only have one picture at the moment. My fiance's camera (the only digital camera I've ever come close to owning) is on the fritz and she's getting a new one for Christmas. That's a long time to wait for pictures, but I'll post a quick teaser.

Keep in mind...she really is a basket case, but her frame and floorpans are SOLID.

This is going to be fun.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 08:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chuck

Excellent project you've got there. It looks like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Welcome to the forum from another Illinoisian.

-Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode