Hi from Australia - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Peter

Hi from Australia

Hi, this is Peter from Australia. Just like to say this is a fantastic forum. I have only had my 68 Camaro for just under a year after importing it myself from Virginia. I have done a little work already including a full engine rebuild on the 327. The car itself was immaculate anyway so there isn,t a great deal that I need to do. However, my wife wonders why everytime I finish something that we can drive it, I end up pulling something else apart. I have just removed the instrument cluster, repaired all the bad earths, replaced bulbs and put it all back again. Being able to access this forum and all the knowledgable members, make jobs like that so much easier. Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Hi from Australia

Welcome from Team Camaro and Texas. Glad you could join us. Lots of good info on this forum.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 09:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

Welcome to the site Peter . If you know how to post photos would love to see a few of your 68

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Hey From across the pond ...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech

Hi ya, from the great white north, who is now having winter. I'll bet that you will be or are turning heads with that machine of yours as the Camaro is rather rare breed in that neck of the woods...and they do drive on the other side of the road? Makes it interesting, eh?

cap68
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 04:25 PM
Dot
Administrator

Great to see you here Peter.
Hope you enjoy.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Peter

Thanks for your welcome. Yes, it is a bit different driving on the left side, especially if you want to pass another car as you can't see what's coming. You just watch the expression on you wife's face. As far as photos go, I only have one. I hope I have done this right. Should have got one of my kids to do it as they know way more about computers than I do. Will try and get more photos when I can-Cheers,Peter http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...atthecoast.jpg
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Just keep a larger than normal distance back from the car in front and ride the white line on the side of the road...
u will see more than u think...since the line of traffic is all stepped towards the center of the road.
Once u get used to left hook and driving next to the kerb, u will find it much easiers and safer
What will be upsetting the missus is she is sitting on the 'driverside' automatically checks the rear vision mirror inside and can only set the hood lining...if the right door mirror is adjusted right she will get used leaning forward slightly and can see behind.

Caustion to when 1st driving left hook like this..watch u dont drift towards the centerline...u are conditioned to driving that line over the yrs
And When heading down a dip that curves to the right at the bottom and up the otherside, there is a big blind spot behind the interior mirror
Pulling out of servicestations and merging roads, tend to place the car at deeper angle to the direction u wish to go...the right side mirror then works well, if u dont u cant see a bloody thing because of the rear pillar and mirror looks elseware

The missus will not like the pasenger seat because as passenger on that side when cornring she has no steerng wheel to hold on to
Look out for some 1988 subaru leone/omega seats..damn near the same shape/size and simple to convert to use the camaro runners without any changes to them.
Good seats and will make a huge diff to her attitude...
hq holden wheel bearings and a lot of other stuff is interchangable, BUT NOT the A frame bushes..they look the same but miked up are different.

30 yrs of 1st Camaro daily driving
Anything u want give me a holla, also got a couple good contacts in ocka land for 2nd hand parts and can piont in the right direction.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome from the Beach!

A Virginia car, cool! And a nice one at that. I can see why the wife wants to ride.
Plenty of experts here, I'm still learning.

Your shipping costs were?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome to Team Camaro

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 01:10 PM

Hi Peter , nice car mate , now your just gotta lower the thing, it will look like a 4wd up there in queensland. Im in newcastle, nsw , i recently imported a 69 ss from boston. Just had her converted and rego'd last week. Waitin on some torque thrusts now (6 to 8 weeks). Some clever buggers on here that can answer and have done just about everything us mugs in australia will ever do to these cars.
cheers,
Gavin
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 11:47 PM
Tech Team
shane

Its good to see another Camaro going to a good home down the bottom of earth.Enjoy mate.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 08, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Peter

Thanks aussie1. I agree Gavin, it could be lower on the front. When I first got the car it looked like a praying mantis. I found it had 2" high coil spring boosters. I took them out and it dropped quite a bit. Although I found it has come up a bit again since I have done the engine. I guess there would be a bit of weight difference with the heads, intake etc. being alloy not cast. I think this photo may have been taken before I took the boosters out. I'll try and get onto taking a few more photos including the interior and the engine bay. As far as shipping goes Everett#2390, It was about $5000 but I'm afraid it doesn't stop there. You then have to add 10% of the total for GST , brokerage costs , the cost to make the car Australian Design Rules compliant , registation and stamp duty and more than $2000 just for the number plates. But hey, it's worth every penny. In Australia, if the vehicle is over 30 years old, you don't have to convert it to right-hand-drive which is a plus. Yes cap68, it does turn some heads-especially young fellas-they love it.
Cheers,Peter
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 08, 10:51 PM
Tech Team
shane

Peter just wondering what they pick on when your car has to comply with a.d.r. rules. In W.A. they dont seem to go to that extreme. I just went over the pits, they take it for a drive[with me in the car]as i would not let it out of my sight.all done.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 02:42 AM

i had to change the original seat belts , put the indicators in the reverse lights ( 69 )
thats about all for rego in NSW australia. All done and on the road on friday. And ive ordered USA 69 plates for it. It cost me so far around $49500 au landed ,converted ,engineered and registered in NSW. Im happy with that.
Gavin

Rsss clone
350/turbo 400
red ,black stripes
rally sport front.
torque thrusts 17s
USA-69 plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode