preping subframe - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 08, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

preping subframe

Okay iam totallt confused.Iam removing the subframe from my 69 camaro and thought por 15 was the way to go as far as rust preventer and primer.Dont know what to use, read bad about por-15 as far as adhesion and topcoating.Read a lot about a 2 part epoxy primer, what is this and where can i get it?Need help in preping and painting the subframe, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 08, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: preping subframe

Por-15 works really good, the key thou is the prep it has to be near perfect for Por-15 to work its magic. I would probably have the frame sandblasted then wipe it down with lacquer thinner or use their product Marine clean, then hosing it off with water letting it dry then using their Metal Ready before you apply the Por-15. If you can get the metal so clean that when you wipe your hand across it no dirt or oil is on your hand then you know you are ready. Also for the Por-15 to work at maximum effectiveness you have to get the frame down to all bare metal.

I ended up having my sub-frame sandblasted and powder coated:

I am very happy with the powder coating, thou I used Por-15 on my block and firewall. I don't have a current pic of the firewall but I do the block:

I had a bit a problem on my block around some bolt holes where I had some oil in then because I didn't want the threads to rust and that was one area where there was some problem getting the paint to stick. Once I touched it up it was fine. The really nice thing about Por-15 once you get it done right is you can clean it with a solvent (paint thinner or brake clean) and it won't harm the paint. I have already done that to my block so I know it to be true. It is also very resistant to chipping and marring (case you hit it with a hammer, which I have done )

Do you plan on spraying the Por-15 or applying it via brush? If brush, I would use the sponge brushes as I think those have a smoother finish. Either that or use a high end paint brush to apply it as the cheap brushes leave brush-strokes.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 08, 03:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane doc View Post
Okay iam totallt confused.Iam removing the subframe from my 69 camaro and thought por 15 was the way to go as far as rust preventer and primer.Dont know what to use, read bad about por-15 as far as adhesion and topcoating.Read a lot about a 2 part epoxy primer, what is this and where can i get it?Need help in preping and painting the subframe, Thanks.
James..did you read the 1000 other posts about por15 ? All I can tell you is my experience and that if you do it right it wont dissapoint you. Wht dont you get some and try it on a piece of pipe or something. Paint it after its preped properly and then smash the heck out of it after its fully cured. Make you own observation. If I were you I'd spend a few bucks sandblasting the frame. Here a pic of mine when blasted and getting the metal prep and then painted with por15 and chassis black.

I didnt meant to scrare you away from the product in your last thread, just to let you know if you skimp on the prep it will dissapont you. I've tried all the different rust products out there and others have too. It should have came up with a comparison thread on your search. Good luck whatever route you choose.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126486

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech
Rob.

I have some stuff on my website about painting a frame with epoxy, its a chevelle, but it might give you some ideas. Also welcome.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode