20 Year Plan - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

20 Year Plan

Hello Everyone,
I guess this story will sound familiar to alot of you out there....
Married in 1988, sold 1967 corvette 4 spd air conv to buy first house, had $5,000 left over and an empty garage. Figured I better fill the garage before that 5k turns into a dining room set, so I grabbed the paper and found a#'s matching 69 pace car for $4,000. Drove it home and began the restoration. The car needed quarters, front fenders outer wheel wells and the drivers front floor pan.The rest of the car was complete and solid.Bought new GM quarters for $235ea and GM fenders for $194ea.(should have bought two or three sets!)
Spent the next year or two doing all the metalwork,got the car primered and restored the engine,trans,suspension.
Then along came my son, which required a larger house according to the wife. The car ended up in storage at my mother's houes and before I knew it 15 years went by. I didn't have the space or the $ to continue on the car so I just let it sit knowing someday I would get back to it.Well in 2006 I built myself a 24x 40 shop and brought the car home.
I took the car completely apart and started over and it is now painted and reassembeled minus the interior and top. I might just get to drive it this summer after almost 20 years!
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site for all the help and great info.

Paul
1969 Z-11 #match SB Auto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
michael

Re: 20 Year Plan

Great story. Welcome. Mike.

68 SS350 4spd.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Great story and congrats on the 24x40....I have a 40x48 and there is just nothing like having your own "man-cave" huh! I'm closing on the end of my 5 years frame off of my 67 and it became drivable for the first time in 4+ years this past september...nothing like it after all the time and effort,so enjoy and congratulations on the the house,the son,the car and regrets for the loss of the 'vette

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
James

Welcome to the site. We love pictures from new guys if you can figure out how to post them!
I lived next door in Greenwood Lake for a couple years and had my triple black 68 SS convertible there, ever see it around town?
There are a few nice shows in the area during the summer, have you ever been to Bear Mountain on wednesday night for the Cops and Rodders show?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Before anyone asks,here's some pics (I hope)
The vette was a cool ride and as soon as I win the lottery,that will be my first stop. The guy I sold it to still has it.

Paul
1969 Z-11 #match SB Auto

Last edited by pdohrman; Mar 17th, 08 at 05:05 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 06:08 PM

looking good
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 08, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Gean

Nice Car, great story. I sold my 1968 427/435 conv vette to purchase a house back in 1983. I went from 435hp to 65hp (VW Ghia) in one week! However, since I live in CA. I had no $$ left over to purchase another muscle car. My first house was a smart investment and I still own it today - but man, oh man how I miss that car...

I'm sure everyone has their story.

1967 Camaro Father+Sons Project

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 05:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Great story -- my first Camaro took quite a long time as well -- congrats and hope everythign works out so you can start crusin by late Spring or ealry Summer

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Talking Re: 20 Year Plan

Great stroy and pics Paul. Keep us posted on your progress. At least you had the foresight to pick up the pace car when you did. Don't worry about how long it has taken to get it back together, think of how much it would cost you if you wanted to buy it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats again and glad to see you were able to hang on to it through the years, I know you miss the Vette, but we LOVE the pace car

Mike

Currently Camaroless
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Ragtop View Post
Welcome to the site. We love pictures from new guys if you can figure out how to post them!
I lived next door in Greenwood Lake for a couple years and had my triple black 68 SS convertible there, ever see it around town?
There are a few nice shows in the area during the summer, have you ever been to Bear Mountain on wednesday night for the Cops and Rodders show?
Bear Mountain every Wed night, always lots of nice cars.
I bet you wouldn't miss Greenwood Lake today,10 inches of snow so far......
I'll have to scan some pics from when I got the car in 1988, pre digital or would that be old school?
Thanks for all the responses.

Paul
1969 Z-11 #match SB Auto

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome to the site.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Gabriel

Your story gives me hope. 10+ years being stored, and I just got it out this past year, at the request of my wife. I have no money, but wish for more time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Great story! And a big for not selling it. My mom had a 69 RS Coupe that my parents sold when I was 13. I begged for them to keep it and save it for me, but I was a hellian when I was a youngster so that didn't happen. But I've been working on my 67 for almost 8 years, and it's coming along great so far. Your's is looking good, should be an awesome ride when it's finised.

My Cars:

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Arrow Re: 20 Year Plan

GREAT STORY !!
I did a little different version but can relate to your's , I too got married in 1988 but my old chevy has NEVER left my side , I have swapped year's a few time's but was only without a driver 67 68 69 camaro or chevelle for 6 hr's since 1985 , I had to pass on many killer deal's because I did not have any money , like the 67 RS/SS for $1200 , the three project 67's & 68's for $400 ALL THREE ! but I have kept my family fed and a chevy out front all these year's , then about ten year's ago I realized that if I did not latch on to a 67 RS/SS soon that it was gonna be out of my dream alltogether because they were going up FAST !
I beat every internet site I could newspaper's trade journal's talk on the street and every method of finding a 67 RS/SS that I could come up with !! but I never made it , I found a 67 RS and got it same as free and was gonna flip it and still go for the 67 RS/SS that I had alway's wanted but once I let the 67 RS hang around for a while and the fake car's started poping up left and right I simply gave up on the 67 RS/SS quest !!!
then about two year's ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer and I was gonna sell the RS to pay on her need's but ended up I did not have to , I've been out here in the workforce for 23 year's now and still don't have any money but I did manage to keep my 67 RS and have grabbed a 67 short fleet C10 to go with it , these old chevy's are not just a hobby they are our live's !!

1967 RS 327
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Very nice 69Z11 you have there Paul. Keep up the good work bringing this car back to life ...I figure a 20 year plan is much better than a 25 or 30 year plan.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode