67 Original Owner pictures 41 years - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Keith

67 Original Owner pictures 41 years

Past posting-purchased camaro April 7th, 1967, 350/295 SS/RS-4speed muncie.
#1, 1983 car show with Son Preston
#2, 1986 Family, Wife-Loretta, Daughter-Jennifer, Son-Preston
#3, 1967 Camaro one month old
#4, 1969 Camaro, added stripe and side marker lights-not a good idea
#5, 2006 Camaro at our Home,

http://www.vstevenson.com/kskeith

PREVIOUS POST
Purchased Camaro April 7th, 1967 for $2,975, 2dr coupe
bolero red with white stripe, deluxe black interior with
4 speed muncie. Went to buy a used car at the local Chevrolet
dealer (West Plains, Mo.) and the Camaro was on the showroom floor, dealer asked 3,175 and being 17, I would need a cosigner, I told
my Dad I found a car, he asked how much, I said 3,175 he said Used!
I replied brand new, (to this day why my Dad cosigned ??) He talked
the price down to 2,975, at that time I worked in Kansas City.

Feb 27th 2008 a few stories… I have several and probably write a book.
April 7th 1967 from the dealer I drove the car to my Dad’s service station and put it on the grease rack to check out the car, when I checked the rear-end for grease it showed nothing, I put 6 # in the differential, a good thing it was not driven very far.

I worked at City Hall in KC, doing drafting work. Before the camaro I had no car in KC, rode the bus to and from work. I worked on the 24th floor with about 6 other draftsman, you can imagine going to work in the new camaro, I parked close to city hall where you could see the car from the 24th floor. That morning I called the guys over to the window and said look at that red camaro in the parking lot, they were excited and thought that it was a good looking car, I said it is my car, all said NO-WAY!, told them did they want to go for a ride- they said oh-yeah sure,
We went down the elevator and across the street-all the time they kept saying you do not own that car!, arrived at the car all the guys were looking with anticipation this could not be keith pierce’s car he is 17, well I pulled out the keys and slowly inserted the key into the key slot and turned the key and the door lock popped-up and needless to say they were in awe and ready to go for a ride.

I turned a rod bearing at 1,000 miles; no parts were available for the 350/295 motor, 3 weeks to get going again.

Was on a date and the night was dark , no stars, driving down a main highway at 70 mph, and somehow the headlight switch was hit and the electric headlamp doors started to close, I turned the lights back ON, but the doors cycle all the way closed and then open. With the doors being solid I had not lights for a minute very scary situation, trying to slow down from 70 and not being able to see anything. Chevrolet I believe made the doors with see-thru on the next year models.

Going to college at night I had another scary situation, while coming home I shifted the car thru the gears when I hit 3rd gear the motor stayed at high rpms, like you put the pedal to the floor and it stayed there, I put the breaks on but the car still was running at high speed and not going to stop, I then turned the key off and the engine turned Off.
What happened was the motor mount broke on the drivers side and the
Engine torque over and the throttle link jammed full ON and stayed on till I turned the key Off. I installed a new motor mount. A few months later I received a notice from Chevrolet about the engine torque over and throttle stick problem. Their fix was a wire cable you put thru the motor mount around the chassis with cable clamp.
At the time several cars in high traffic situations did run out of control and caused some deaths.

In the summer of 68 I worked in KC and went home to West Plains, Mo. Almost every weekend. One Hot Sunday afternoon I was heading to KC and on Hwy 13 and was surprised when a Dodge Super bee with the black stripe around the trunk passed me doing about 100 mph, the bee had a Mississippi license plate and the guys in the car were Black (no disrespect). Well it kind of incensed me and got me thinking about the Missouri Highway patrol always had a speed trap setup the same place every Sunday. I knew it was a several miles ahead, the speed trap was the short two tripod timing trap and was placed on a long downhill run, the capture or pickup Patrol car was at the top of the uphill run, the patrol would radio the speed and car color and type to the pickup Patrol area.
I thought if I could pass these guys a few miles before the trap and give them enough time to repass me they would be going pretty fast down the hill.
Well I timed it right and passed them doing about 100 mph and sure enough here they came and sucked me under and the timing was perfect down the hill they went about 110 mph, and the capture car the Highway patrol had the guys out of the car and when I drove by I received verbal jesters and hands with finger sticking up, I believe they knew I had set them up.
I went on to KC quickly. To this day every time I drive down that hill I think of that incident.

My Son is a Chiropractor 30 years old and we have been blessed with a grandson
That is 8 months old, I am passing the car to my Son and I expect him to pass it on to His Son.

Best Regards, KansasKeith

Last edited by kansaskeith; Feb 27th, 08 at 09:56 AM. Reason: adding some stories with the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 08:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 67 Original Owner pictures 41 years

Cool pics. Dig that plaid suit.

I really like the redlines and caps. Looks great and is amazing you have kept it all these years.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 09:09 AM

That's fantastic. The pics are great. I can't imagine owning a car for that long... but I can sure remember a few I wish I would have kept.

~Bob

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Nice car! We need to hear more about the story of this car though, since there aren't many original owners left. You're right about the stripe- what were you thinking?!?!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 11:55 AM
Chip

Freaking awesome. I rather like the stripe but I also drool over the seventies "street freaks."

How do I post a photobucket picture in here?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 12:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Nice pics ! Hey is that a Honda 50 ?

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Now I know where that ZZ Top song came from. "Every girl's crazy 'bout a Sharped Dressed Man"

Joe
'68 SS/RS 350
Never enough time... even less money.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Keith

Thanks for the reply, I added some stories with the car.
Kansaskeith
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Keith

thanks for the reply, I added some stories with the car.
kansaskeith
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Keith

thanks for the reply, i added some stories to the posting.
Kansaskeith
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Keith

Thanks for the reply, i added some stories to the posting., the clothes
were something dont have the clothes but kept the camaro.
Kansaskeith
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Keith

Thanks, i do not remember what model motorcycle, I did add some stories with the car to the posting
Kansaskeith
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Keith

Thanks for the reply, I owned a company and built tube amps for ZZ top, the company was legend musical instruments. I added some stories to the posting with the car.
Kansaskeith
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 10:21 AM
Chip

Neat stories there Keith.

How do I post a photobucket picture in here?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode