New From Texas - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
justin

Smile New From Texas

Hello Camaro Tech. The names Justin and live in the Round Rock Area. I've been blessed to have a Camaro passed down. Its a 1968 camaro standard black on black, 327 (275 hp), saginaw 4 speed. The car was bought new in 1968 by my grandpa for my dad as a graduation gift. Since then its been passed down. My Mom and Dad got married and its in the old photos. My mom and brother both drove it to high school, as did I. I can remember years ago as a kid my dad switching the air vent off and on (in the star wars era) which was "light speed" to us kids, he would smoke tire and drive fast. So everytime he would stop we would reach for it and move it over. Everytime he was a good sport about it and would burn through gears. Then car eventually ended up with a th350 after the saginaw locked up.
As years past on, we grew up and eventually began messing with cars due to my Grandpa being a mechanic. My brother ventured off into the auto body work and I always messed with motors. My brother fixed the rust from over the years, (new quarters and most of the body work). I eventually ended up with the car and got into the racing aspect. I then took out the origianl 327 and replaed it with a small journal 327. I drag / street raced it thought high school (almost been killed several times in it). After a while I built a 350 with my grandpa and put a higher stall converter in it. It would turned mid to low 12's all day. After the racing for some time the drip rails in the rear crack due to the flexing of the vehicle. I went off to college.
My brother began to work on the drip rails and was in the process of fixing them when he was killed by a drunk driver in 1998. My grandpa passed away a few years later as well. Since then the car has been parked and not touched.
A few months ago I got a wild hair and uncovered it. To my suprise it would fire up and run as strong as ever. Now I'm older and done with the racing. The Car has become somewhat of a family member as crazy as that may sound. I now intend to put a m21 and with factory console back in. I took the center line wheels and sportsmans off and replaced them with torque thrust. The 350 sound incredible and Dad says "it just too tough" to replace it with the original 327 thats in the garage. So now I've been spending some time back at home and have seen the car bring back some youth and fond memories to us.
By the way I'm gonna have a hundred questions about it cause i forgot most of it. I've never messed with a 4 speed and Dad's too old to remember. --JW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Re: New From Texas

Welcome Justin.

Whew! That's quite a legacy car that you have to work on!...Lots of good memories and happy events. Cars are more than machines.

Really impressed to hear that you have matured, and have been spared to continue in your heritage Camaro. Treat her nice, and she'll do the same for you. Good luck on your restoration.

capt
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Welcome to TC! Im from San Antonio. That is a very cool story except the part about your brother, sorry to hear that.

We would love to see a pic of your car when you get around to it.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New From Texas

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome to the site.

(LARRY)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Justin, welcome from another Texan. Great story, sorry to hear about your brother. Sounds like a great car as I have had mine since 1981.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Howdy Partner!

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 06:56 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

hang on to that original 327 and what ever parts that you still have that you know are original. You'll be glad you did someday.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech

Howdy!

Ron
The “

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 08:49 PM

Greets from Dallas! That's a really fantastic story, and you saying the car is like part of the family makes perfect sense to me. And don't worry... 4 speeds were new to me as well when I started messing with my '68. Just do a bunch of searches and a bunch of reading around here and you're sure to find answers to any question you can imagine! This place is awesome

~Bob
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 03:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Welcome,Justin this is a very touching story sounds like allot of fond memories there.Did you say you are working on it at your fathers home,if so this will be nice for him as well sounds like you have a great thing going.

PRO.ST69orange

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech
bruce

Hello Justin

Very nice story which, I think, most of us can relate to. We never know what life has in store...

I'm in the Georgetown area, there is an informal car gathering every Saturday afternoon (5:00 or so) at the Whataburger at 620 / I35; bring your car, look forward to meeting you and talking shop!

70 cuda 383
69z28/rs
03 z06 vette
05 srt-10 505ci quad cab "yellow fever"

"its never fast enough"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode