68 stripe kit--hockey stick - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

68 stripe kit--hockey stick

any suggestions for installing, have tryed to kits, from classic, when you go over top of fender you end up with a mile of extra material to keep everything even, as per assembly manual measurements???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 09:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: 68 stripe kit--hockey stick

...just to be sure, ...do you have the correct kit?
the "hockey strick" stripe I always thought referred to the '69 stripe, ...where for '68 it's the "D80 stripe".
I'm not picking your words apart, ...just wanted to be sure...

I have the D80 stripe on my 68 and the template worked fine (...I believe I ordered it through Rick's, ...way back when...)

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

68 SS stripes, goes around top of frt & down body line to backl of doors, did not know the exact name

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Motion View Post
68 SS stripes, goes around top of frt & down body line to backl of doors, did not know the exact name
...sounds like you're describing '68 since you mentioned down the 'body line'.
Interestingly enough, ...the photo that Rick's uses in their catalog for the '68 stripe, ...that's my car.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Those stripes are about 6" to long. They don't go all the way to the back edge of the door. Somewhere in the 68 AIM (RPO D90) theres a page with the stripe shown being that long, but no cars were made that way. The stripe ends in front of the door handle, maybe 10" forward of the rear edge of the door.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 02:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Wink Re: 68 stripe kit--hockey stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Those stripes are about 6" to long. They don't go all the way to the back edge of the door. Somewhere in the 68 AIM (RPO D90) theres a page with the stripe shown being that long, but no cars were made that way. The stripe ends in front of the door handle, maybe 10" forward of the rear edge of the door.
Now you tell me. I made my best investigation prior to instalation. Mines are ending about an inch before the door edge.
>> BTW, the stripe kit was easy for me to instal. I have the stencil front section, which the body shop just painted for me, with vinyl side stripes.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 03:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Maybe it isn't that long. I can't find a single picture on the web of a 68 D90 stripe that ends more than about 2" forward of the rear door edge. I had a 68 a billion years ago that had an original painted front/Vinyl side stripe and as I remember it the stripe ended further forward than 1 or 2" from the door edge. Anyone got the 68 D90 AIM page?

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

My stripes were done according to the AIM. Picture is in my signature.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 04:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I used an "all stencil kit" from D&R a couple years ago...
And they were indeed quite a few inches to long, particularly the door piece, which was 6" longer than the door.

To make it work, I ended up bringing the door piece back as close to the rear edge of the door as possible (to get the stripe as fat as I could at the front of the door)
There is still a bit of the width difference between the stripe at the back of the fender and the front of the door, but it is less than 1/8".

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
If that's true, then there are a LOT of cars out there with incorrect stripes. I don't think I've ever seen one where the stripe ends 10" from the door edge.

I'm going to check the AIM tonight, but mine are painted on so it's too late to change...

Kevin

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

When I did mine, the kit door stripe was way too long. I shortened it up to what was in the Assembly Manual, and I believe it's supposed to end under or near the door lock cylinder
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 08, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I just checked the AIM for the D90 stripe and it shows it ending 3.62 inches before the rear door edge.

It also shows an L48 stripe that ends at the rear wheel well. I'm guessing that never made it to production.

Kevin

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

I am installing a kit with is all decals, the pieces that are L shaped that go at top frt of fender & wrap over side of fender are the pieces that are the trouble, there is just too much when you wrap over top lip of fender?? should this piece be cut & done in 2 pieces? 2 different so called professionals have already destroyed 2 kits for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode