Hello from Franklin TN... - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Michael

Send a message via AIM to wecrosscreek
Hello from Franklin TN...

Hi guys...

Found you guys from doing some searches. My Dad and I bought my '68 Camaro back in 1986. Took a year but we got it road ready. Never was much of a "Motorhead" but I learned on that car.

Over the years it changed colors, saw some improvements (Holley, and new intake, etc.) and then got parked after I got married, and then had kids.

Long story short... it sat in the elements for 12 years. I now have it up on blocks and starting to bring her back to life. The vinyl top was... unkind to it shall we say. Engine is not locked up though. We could turn it.

The stats on her are:
Factory 327, Powerglide, and rearend. (Or so I was told, going to check
for sure soon. ) All parts I took off as a kid went into boxes. Have the Owners book and Warranty card with Protect-O-Plate. Also came with Factory Air, which I still have.

Anyway... just giving a heads up about me and my car. Been lurking around for a bit now, look forward to learning more from you guys.

"I may climb perhaps to no great heights, but I will climb alone."-Cyrano De Bergerac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Franklin TN...

Welcome to Team CAMARO

Neat story of your past love
All the resorces you will need to remake her will be available on this site.

Lots of fellow 'team members' in the Nashville area that you might want to get to know at local swaps and meets! (I have a sister in Franklin)

Be sure to visit the "Tag Team" forum and post up the Cowl Tag data from your car - The CRG guys will thank you for it ( www.crg.org )

Hope to see photos and looking forward to seeing your progress on the car as you get it back on the road.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 04:13 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Re: Hello from Franklin TN...

Welcome Mike , hey my 68 sat in the elements for about as long as yours did and that really took its toll on the paint and the underbody , I had to replace the whole floor , also stripped the car to the bare metal. Oh ya a whole nation of mice moved in as well. It was good incentive to tear the interior down as far as I did.
Good luck with yours , we're here for you.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome aboard Mike. I just love to read about yet another Camaro being brought back from the grave. I often wonder what the ratio is now as to first gen Cam to Mustangs?

And yes... lot of good stuff on this site.

capt
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 06:56 PM
Craig

Hi Michael,

I also have a 68. It was a 15 year resto process completed in 2006. I live in Mt. Juliet and work in Cool Springs. We should meet up sometime. E-mail me: [email protected]

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...peed__/Camaro/

Craig.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
David

Michael,welcome to Team Camaro.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

Last edited by 1969ProStreetCamaro; Mar 5th, 08 at 07:32 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Where in Franklin?...My folks live in Leipers Fork and I live in Mount Juliet. I'm also a general contractor and I do LOTS of work in Franklin...got two jobs going there now.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome to the site.If i ever move from Ohio it would be to the Smokey Mountains in Tn.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 08, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Hello Michael,
Hey I live in Brentwood. I was in Franklin moved two years ago. Was thinking this spring trying to get some Middle Tennessee Team Camaro members together. If you need parts for your '68 let me know I have a friend in Franklin who has lots of Camaro parts.
Doug
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 08, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Michael

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! It really helps knowing that
there are other Classic Camaro guys around close, not to mention the wealth of information you guys have posted here. I would have killed
to have these kind of resources when I was twenty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68 View Post
Welcome Mike , hey my 68 sat in the elements for about as long as yours did and that really took its toll on the paint and the underbody , I had to replace the whole floor , also stripped the car to the bare metal. Oh ya a whole nation of mice moved in as well. It was good incentive to tear the interior down as far as I did.
Good luck with yours , we're here for you.
I'm really glad I wasn't the only one that let one slip. Tearing the top
it was like with each rip a piece of my heart went with it. Looking at the rust... I felt just defeated. My brother-in-law saw I was "going off the cliff fast" and reminded me to look at what is still in great shape and what will need to be fixed. Baby steps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2speed View Post
Hi Michael,
I also have a 68. It was a 15 year resto process completed in 2006. I live in Mt. Juliet and work in Cool Springs. We should meet up sometime.
Awesome Car Craig! I could have sworn I saw it in Cool Springs before!
I have a college buddy that lives in Mt. juliet. He had a '67 with the powerglide on the column. First one I had ever seen. He sold his and regretted it ever since. I actually live in Fairview (20 miles from Franklin) but I work in the Cool Springs area. Real close to the mall. I'll have to give you hollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Super Sport View Post
Hello Michael,
Was thinking this spring trying to get some Middle Tennessee Team Camaro members together. If you need parts for your '68 let me know I have a friend in Franklin who has lots of Camaro parts.
Doug
That would be cool to meet some of you guys in the spring! I'll keep you in mind for parts. I'm currently taking an inventory of what I NEED to replace and what I WANT to replace. LOL!

I have a friend that restores Vets that is going to give me a ballpark
estimate on the body work.

Here is a link to some pictures of it I have on my server...
http://suspiciousmindscomic.com/camaro/

As well as a little write up I did on it.
http://suspiciousmindscomic.com/blog/?p=39

"I may climb perhaps to no great heights, but I will climb alone."-Cyrano De Bergerac
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 08, 08:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Hello from Franklin TN...

I've seen much worse brought back to life

Our fathers are TV repair men and they have a wicked tool sets

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 08, 10:18 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
I've seen much worse brought back to life

Our fathers are TV repair men and they have a wicked tool sets

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 08, 03:10 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecrosscreek View Post
Awesome Car Craig! I could have sworn I saw it in Cool Springs before!
I have a college buddy that lives in Mt. juliet. He had a '67 with the powerglide on the column. First one I had ever seen. He sold his and regretted it ever since. I actually live in Fairview (20 miles from Franklin) but I work in the Cool Springs area. Real close to the mall. I'll have to give you hollar.
Michael, you may have seen it around Cool Springs. I have had it down to the office off Carothers Pkwy. once or twice and since I work for Nissan, we have a bunch of car guys that gather at the Krispy Kreme on Mallory on Saturday mornings. We actually have not done that since October. We're waiting for warmer weather.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 08, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2speed View Post
I have had it down to the office off Carothers Pkwy. once or twice and since I work for Nissan, we have a bunch of car guys that gather at the Krispy Kreme on Mallory on Saturday mornings. We actually have not done that since October. We're waiting for warmer weather.
I work just over the interstate from you. Not five minutes. Hopefully
I'll be able to meet up with you and your buddies one Saturday toward
the end of Summer. (I'm hoping.)

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Welcome aboard. I live in Murfreesboro and have a '67 that just getting the bodywork started. BTW, I have a '68 replacement firewall in my garage that was sold to me by mistake (I needed a '67 and didn't realize the mistake). By the time I realized it it wasn't worth the effort and shipping cost to return it (plus I sort of convinced myself that my next project would be a '68 and I would build the car around the firewall...lol. Any who, it's just taking up space (valuable space) in my garage. I didn't realize so many people were on this forum from the middle Tenn area so if anyone needs a replacement firewall and would like to drop by and pick it up, I'd be willing to let it go real reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode