Ready to swap 6cyl to V8...need help.. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Question Ready to swap 6cyl to V8...need help..

This is alll new to me and I hope I may call upon the expertise of the members. I bought a 1968 Butternut with black vinyl top - 250 cu in - powerglide w/ console on floor - with 56,ooo orig miles - in 1999...car was in storage since 1985 and I put approx 10,000 mles on it since 1999. I miss running thru the gears so our local speed shop is rebuilding a M-21 to replace the PG. and when he saw I had a 6 (well, he was cordial to say the least) so maybe it's time to step up the engine. This may be the wrong forum to ask the following..if it is I'm sure someone will redirect me.
#1. Am I making a mistake by molesting my baby ? If, no.....
#2. Do I look for a 327 or 350 ? I've been watcing e-bay for something decent and affordable (tight budget).
#3. I'm assuming that the 6 cyl frame mounts are in the wrong location and size for the V8... or can I just bolt on new frame mounts in the same position or does it require more than I'm thinking?
#4. Wll I need to replace the whole console or can I just replace the cover and boot area with aftermarket plate, etc?

I realize I need complete new exhaust system, pedals and linkage for 4spd, new coils on front, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks, Larry in northeast PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 06:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Re: Ready to swap 6cyl to V8...need help..

If this were my Camaro, I would remove the old drivetrain and store it in the corner of your garage. This way, if you want to restore the car back to original, all of the parts are saved. Build a Stout Small Block. Personally, I would keep the Camaro an Automatic and Install a 200 4R and purchase a nice 10 Bolt 8.5 Rear with 3.73s. Everything will be a bolt in, you will not have to cut any holes in the floor for shifter relocation, etc. You will need to change your engine harness. Everything else is a bolt in.
If you need someone to build a good rear at a reasonable price, I can recommend someone. As far as the Transmission, Contact Art Carr http://www.cpttransmission.com/ for a 200 4R Transmission. You will not have to shorten your driveshaft. You will only have to relocate your Crossmember. Then contact Herb Grabb at Shiftworks http://shiftworks.com/ so you can use your Stock Shifter.
You are not molesting your Camaro if you only use Bolt ons. Once you start cutting the car up, it is harder to reverse the damage.
Hope this helps.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaros-n-Chevelles View Post
If this were my Camaro, I would remove the old drivetrain and store it in the corner of your garage. This way, if you want to restore the car back to original, all of the parts are saved. Build a Stout Small Block, Personally, I would keep the Camaro an Automatic and Install a 200 4R and purchase a nice 10 Bolt 8.5 Rear with 3.73s. Everything will be a bolt in, you will not have to cut any holes in the floor for shifter relocation, etc. You will need to change your engine harness. Everything else is a bolt in.
Hope this helps.
I'm with Tory on this, keep auto cars with auto trans. If you're going small block there's a load of crate options, zz383 would be perfect.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

It really is a matter of opinion, so here is mine: I agree with Tory that if you keep the original drivetrain, you can always "go back" to original. Even if you never do, the knowledge that you can makes it easier on the mind when doing the upgrades. If cost is an issue, you might want to look into a crate engine. You can select the performance / cost level you want, and you are basically getting a brand-new engine. There are many options to choose from.

68RS, 327/275, 4spd, Cordovan Maroon, In process of restoring
ERA FIA289 Cobra replica
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Ready to swap 6cyl to V8...need help..

Thank you for all your input. It really helps in the decision making process. I've been muddling through the system and I can't believe the wealth of information one can pick up here. Again, thank you all.....Larry
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I bought a '68 RS convert that had a 6 cyl. & 3 speed w/ console. It now has a 350 with a Tremec 5 speed. Believe me, once you drop a new motor in you'll never go back to a 6. From a resale point of view, who really wants a 6 cyl. car anyway, no matter how original it is?? IMHO
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

It's a 6 cyl car which is a great car but by no means as valuable as a #'s match small or big block car. Build it the way you want it to be. If you want a 4,5, or 6 speed then put it in with a hot small block. You can always repair the tunnel if you want to go back to an auto.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Jim and Bob,
I hear you loud and clear...naturally felt that way when I bought it in 99 but didn't have $$ to start..well the M-21 is being gone over now as we speak and my quest for a bargain 300 hp + continues. Truly appreciate your input. Sometimes a person just needs a little push to confirm what they really want...thanks.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage
Talking Re: Ready to swap 6cyl to V8...need help..

Now why would you want to do something as silly as plucking out the inline 6 and stuffing in a V8?

Sorry, I think I might be a bit biased.

Paul

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

Last edited by MCGOO; Mar 20th, 08 at 07:36 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Paul,
Honestly, I did get on cliffordperformance.net site and got a little excited. I ran the numbers on most of the goodies ( intake manifold, blueprinted head, ceramic headers, rebuild kit, rods, valve & side covers, and timing set ) and it came out to $3,528. I wonder what type of hp that would actually produce??? I wonder if you & I would be the only ones...or maybe you are starting a new revival... I'm going to do some more research....you may just have a convert. What if 6 = 8.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 07:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage
Talking Re: Ready to swap 6cyl to V8...need help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lupini View Post
Paul,
Honestly, I did get on cliffordperformance.net site and got a little excited. I ran the numbers on most of the goodies ( intake manifold, blueprinted head, ceramic headers, rebuild kit, rods, valve & side covers, and timing set ) and it came out to $3,528. I wonder what type of hp that would actually produce??? I wonder if you & I would be the only ones...or maybe you are starting a new revival... I'm going to do some more research....you may just have a convert. What if 6 = 8.

Wait for Mean Buzzin Half Dozen to chime in! Hank has an inline 6 combo that I would die for.

Paul.

p.s. Check out Inliners International. Great forums there for inline engines.

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech

Just keep every single part that comes off! Some day it may go back.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lupini View Post
#2. Do I look for a 327 or 350 ? I've been watcing e-bay for something decent and affordable (tight budget).
My vote would be a 325. Aka 5.3L from a late model truck.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode