New to Tech forums - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

New to Tech forums

New to this forum. I am an extreme do it yourselfer - research and patience is key. I beleive anyone can do anything - pilot a space shuttle no problem with time and good set of manuals - man built it and desinged it and last I checked most people fall in that category.

Hey there I am a Technical Project Manager by trade so everything is tied to Cost performance and quality.

I restored my 72 Camaro standard coupe to an RS with Z28 options on a $10k budget. I am proud of my restore; it is a great driver and would not take much to turn show if so desired.

I got this 72 camaro in 1987 for $1000.00 = $3000.00 present day value. No rust - fortunate there. The car had been sandwhiched prior to me owning so had to go under some tugging and metal working once Old Bondo removed ($2,200). There are indications it had been an RS before accident Wipers and Hood latch were for RS yet it had standard front end with a single side mirror when I got it.

I painted it primer white, yellow base and pearl with Orange copper flake PPG. When Sun hits it their is a sun burst effect. Last but not least period correct runaway stripes - tuxedo black. ($1300.00)

Tranny is Saginaw for overdrive capability (Budget). Engine is 94 Vortec, mild CAM RV roller set up, Vortec Heads, 600Cfm Edelbrock, and HEI distributor - engine is salvage $500.00; Vortec Heads $500.00; Assembly / inspection $250.00. You may notice how this is very close to stock. Also the interior is stck/period colors but mixed - sandalwood and black contrast.

RS panels ($1000); Suspension, Brakes ($500.00); tranny (trade off at $200.00)

Not bad for first full frame off restore as much a frame off as a camaro can get.

Still needs balance of exhaust system , rear stabilizer, and head liner installed. To answer question yes this will be going over budget slightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Re: New to Tech forums

Hello and welcome to the site.

(LARRY)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 04:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Welcome Scott,Nice car you got there what exhaust are you doin?I think on mine I'm doin Pypes 304 stainless..

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 08, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
David

Scott, beautiful Camaro.Welcome to Team Camaro.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

welcome. nce car!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 10:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Welcome Scott nice 2nd Gen. enjoy Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for comments on Camaro not bad for a garage job and a make shift paint booth - once exhaust is in I will get it registered and start cruisin'.
I am currently installing in a Pypes 409 stainless dual exhaust under it. I ordered through Summit. The best time to buy is between December and February. Took 3 weeks on back order. Having issue with left side over axle tube it got tweaked in shipping - seems odd it is pretty heavy tubing. I will post pics of the install once finished. Pypes has OEM hangers available now which should make installs easier. The cross flow might have been better since that is how Camaros came stock.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I love the 1st and 2nd gen Camaros. I have a narrowed 9 inch housing with disc breaks - all I need is time to put together and install. Needs all the guts third member and pinion ya da ya da yad a... ;-) The interior will be first though.

There are alot of sweet rides posted here..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 05:27 PM
Team Member
Steve Versfelt

welcome I had a 72 white w/black int 400 w/396 402 i loved that car ! its the onlyone i wish i still had. $1400 in 1979

STEPHEN VERSFELT
CURTISMOTION RESTORATION
347A MOUNTAIN RD
LEBANON NJ 908-534-4699
SHOW CARS /
Always looking for Work
MY 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode