buying car, sight-unseen... - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

buying car, sight-unseen...

need advice about buying a car out of state (across the country, actually). I would hate to buy a car without seeing it... what do most guys do when buying cars like this? Is it ok to trust the seller if you've had lots of communication?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Re: buying car, sight-unseen...

I wouldn't even consider buying a car without looking at it first. If you have had lots of good conversation with the owner, and you think it's what you want, ask the seller if he would consider it sold, pending your final inspection. Then go there with cash, ASAP and check it out. If everything is as described, plunk over the cash.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I agree with Unreal. Never buy a car without seeing it. Spending $1000.00 extra for upfront travel is cheap insurance. Just consider it part of the cost of the car. My 2 cents.
Gary

69 rs/ss 350 "vert" air tilt windows

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: buying car, sight-unseen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
... buying a car out of state (across the country, actually).
... Is it ok to trust the seller if you've had lots of communication?
Why would a west-coast guy want to go all the way across the country to buy a car ???
Is this a 1-of-? special or something?
Is the price fantastic ?
Is it the model your dad had ?
There has to be a reason ...

Most us west-coasters don't even think of the evils of the rust monsters that inhabit most older eastern dwelling vehicles - mof, we wouldn't even have a clue where to look some of the time
If it's a vehicle you just can't pass-up, then arrange to have one of the team members inspect it first if it can be arranged for a small fee, and/or arrange to meet-up with them to go with you to see it, so they can give a independent review of it's condition.
There are also professionals that will do this for a minor fee, when compared to the cost of a collector car, and issue a full report to you an condition and repairs needed if any.

It is never okay to trust a seller in this day-and-age - unless you have done business with them or have information from someone who has and can verify their actions.
Just look at all the threads for major rip-offs of members when doing business 'long-distance' - the stories of these things going wrong are legend, the good outcome ones are scarce ...
You can Trust - but Verify with a visit before money changes hands

You live in the land of 'rust-free' California raised classics - there are usually very desirable cars close enough to go look at in person available right nearby in nearly all my past hunts

As always JMHO's

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Dont do it untill you look at it with your owne eyes...Everyone has a different opion when it comes to judgeing a car from a 1 to 10...They all clame its a 9 but its realy a 7, so save your self from getting riped off...Good luck.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
need advice about buying a car out of state (across the country, actually). I would hate to buy a car without seeing it... what do most guys do when buying cars like this? Is it ok to trust the seller if you've had lots of communication?
What year are you looking for?
What style or you after?
How much are you willing to spend?
Please do your home work, you are smart by asking this info but dont evan think about some guy in timbuk too is gona give you a deal...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 06:22 PM

As a potential seller of a 1969 Z/28-X33 Camaro I prefer that the buyer see the vehicle themselves so there is no mistake or misunderstanding of the condition of the car. RTJones
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech

NEVER buy a car like that!!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 07:18 PM
LDB
Senior Tech
Chad

Spend the money tand go see it for yourself. I bought my 67 site unseen, and I will never do that again. I even had a classic car dealer in the area look at it. I got lucky and it was not in bad shape but by no means how they described it. I was tight on money and could not fly to look at it, boy I wish I would have. It went from a needs nothing driver to I am scraping money to have it ready to go by summer.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 09:10 PM

I bought my camaro from an outa state seller. I asked alot of questions saw alot of pictures ect and let me tell you that there is not enough questions in the world that you can ask to get the correct picture of what you are really buying. More than likely you will be dissapointed. Unless its a real good deal i would not do it again. If you HAVE to have it an appraisel is cheap and if YOU pay for it you can be sure you are getting the truth about alot of stuff.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 04:09 AM
Team Member
MaryBeth

I bought mine, sight unseen, 3.5 years ago. 3 people I know and who know cars went and looked at it first. Well, if I knew then what I know now, I never would have touched it and I WOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO GO SEE IT! I am in over my head and the "help" I was supposed to get has almost all disappeared.

MaryBeth's 67 moneypit
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
I agree with what others have said. Please look at all the responses you've gotten. There is not one who has said this is a good idea. You asked, we have spoken. The odds are definately against you in this type of purchase, it's more likely than not you will get burned.

'67 Marina Blue Convertible. L30, PG. All numbers match, 41k original miles.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Wow, this is a tough one. I've bought sight un seen about 7 times and got taken only 1 time (was not a Camaro).... I guess it depends on the type and or condition of the car that you are buying?

I usually just buy 69 Ragtops, so I work 50hours a week and if a 69 Ragtop goes for sale in the US, what am I supposed to do? These cars sell in an few hours, depends on the price of course... So I use my best judgement, talk to the owner for a an hour or more, exchange e-mails, verifiy vin#, get trim plates, get copy of Title and then if OK buy the car and ship to my house....
By the time I get a plane ticket or whatever, car is sold end of story....

I mean, I go see a car locally that is a pile of junk and there are 10 guys lined up
before me....

Jeff G.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeff69rag2001

69 Convert SS Clone 454 LS5 Tuxedo Black
69 Convert RS/SS 396/325 Hugger Orange

Last edited by camarodude67; Mar 20th, 08 at 06:16 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude67
By the time I get a plane ticket or whatever, car is sold end of story....

I mean, I go see a car locally that is a pile of junk and there are 10 guys lined up
before me....

Jeff G.
Both very good points. It happened to me more times than I care to remember.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 06:18 AM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Why would a west-coast guy want to go all the way across the country to buy a car ???
Is this a 1-of-? special or something?
Is the price fantastic ?
Is it the model your dad had ?
There has to be a reason ...

Most us west-coasters don't even think of the evils of the rust monsters that inhabit most older eastern dwelling vehicles - mof, we wouldn't even have a clue where to look some of the time
If it's a vehicle you just can't pass-up, then arrange to have one of the team members inspect it first if it can be arranged for a small fee, and/or arrange to meet-up with them to go with you to see it, so they can give a independent review of it's condition.
There are also professionals that will do this for a minor fee, when compared to the cost of a collector car, and issue a full report to you an condition and repairs needed if any.

It is never okay to trust a seller in this day-and-age - unless you have done business with them or have information from someone who has and can verify their actions.
Just look at all the threads for major rip-offs of members when doing business 'long-distance' - the stories of these things going wrong are legend, the good outcome ones are scarce ...
You can Trust - but Verify with a visit before money changes hands

You live in the land of 'rust-free' California raised classics - there are usually very desirable cars close enough to go look at in person available right nearby in nearly all my past hunts

As always JMHO's
Remember that when it comes to classic cars..a lot the times the ones that are in the east did not often spend their normal (when used as a daily driver) life here. For example, while both my Camaro and Firebird both now reside in snow belt NY..one spent almost its entire life in CA (couple years in SC) and the other in Texas. And of course have never seen an upstate NY winter or any form of salt.
But i also understand your point. CA has lots of clean cars to choose from..why travel if you dont have to.

And to the original question. You really should see the car before you lay down the cash in my opinion. Or at least do what someone suggested. (and what i did when purchasing my Firebird) Tell the guy you will take it subject to final inspection. Tell him that if you get there and its not what was described or what you expected you can walk away. Or leave the option to negotiate the price once you get there if its not as described. When i showed up to buy my Firebird and inspect it there were a few things that werent shown in the pics or mentioned. I was a little disappointed with that. I was able to negotiate with the guy on the spot and get 2k knocked off our original agreed upon price. Ya never know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode