Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i just bought an 81000 mile Rs Camaro.... I think i know whats goin on with it but im gonna get some other thoughts on it.
When driving the thing down the road at speed 65 mph.. it starts to smoke... oil smoke. When you stop at a light it quits in about 3-5 seconds. There isnt any sign of oil loss from the crankcase. I suspect the pcv valve is bad. I just dont want to take any chances with a numbers matching motor expiring. the motor never show signs of oil on the spark plugs.
Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard John. got any pics of the car?
PCV is real cheap, go to your nearest autozone and swap it out then see what gives.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Look inside the PVC hose for oil evidence if you suspect the ventilation system.
I suspect worn/dry rotted/missing valve stem seals considering the age and mileage.

Welcome to the club!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade

welcome to the board!

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 06:12 AM
Team Member
Christropher

What year Camaro did you buy?

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 06:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Welcome..........

I'm gonna guess by your user name that it's a 67.
As for the oil smoke, I'm gonna go with Everett's diagnosis too.

...38 Chev coupe, street rod
...54 Chev 210 coupe
...62 Impala SS, driver/project
...67 Camaro, ss/rs LA built driver/project
...66 Chevelle SS, Atlanta built 138 driver/project
...69 C10, cab and clip may end up on the '89 rollback
...70 Chevelle SS, Canadian documented Z25 project
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

well the pcv valve did it.... yeah it is a 1967. the oil canister is still there. going to research the properway to replace the filter now. i assume it would be the same as a spin on type,however i am sure there is some sort of torque value floating around somewhere.

John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsz3267 View Post
the oil canister is still there. going to research the properway to replace the filter now. i assume it would be the same as a spin on type,however i am sure there is some sort of torque value floating around somewhere. John
Use a wrench to remove the cannister and dump oil into the drain pan. Drain pan should be under the filter already, I'm sure you know this.

Unscrew the cannister bolt and it comes with the cannister. Turn cannister over to drain remaining oil out and remove filter. If all the pieces are with the bolt, the bolt will remain with the cannister. Clean out the inside of the cannister, a shop rag or T-shirt will work.

Install new filter and set aside. Underneath the filter adpapter on the engine, use a pic or scribe and pry out the gasket between the block and filter adapter. Replace with new O-ring from filter box. A 'finger full' of oil on the cannister edge will help the sealing interface between the cannister and O-ring.

Screw on cannister and add 1/2-5/8 additional turn of cannister bolt to secure in place. Done. Take old oil to Advance Auto for recycling.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode