67 wheel offset & clearance question - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Question 67 wheel offset & clearance question

Howdy All,

I'm new at the restoration game. I have a 67 convertible Camaro with a rebuilt 302 engine in it and a Z28 paint job./ I'm restoring it as a Z28 clone. I'm installing 4-wheel disc brakes on the car and plan to put on 15 x 6 inch stock rally wheels all around with straight spinner knock-off center caps. I'm leaning toward P215/65 R15 BFG Goodrich Radial T/A raised white letter tires as this seems to be close to the 195/75 R15 stock 1967 Z28 tire. My questions are first should I order the wheels with any offset and secondly should I worry about any wheel well, etc. clearance issues? The car currently has P235/65 SR14 tires without any problems but they are old/dry rotted and I wanted to go to the Z28 15 inch tire size. Should I consider any other tire size or wheel size? I's appreciate any knowledgable advice!

Mike in College Station
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 67 wheel offset & clearance question

Mike I have 235/60/15 on my 68. I have the stock 7 inch wide rally rim with rally centres. I would recomend the 7 inch rally rather than the 6 because they are more readily available. I do have a slight rub up front when I make a tight turn. The 225 front and 235 rear would be a good combo. You want to fill the wheel, and it is nice to have a little width on the rear. The T/A are a prefect tire to get that white lettered look. The 215s are a little skinny but I know they originals were also.
I had a set of 225/70/15 T/As on my 69 Z and they were great. The 60s looked too small.
They are the standard back space what ever that is.
This year I am putting on a set of Vintage Wheel Works V45s in a 16/8 inch. They will probably be 245/50 rear and 225/55 on the front. That combo gives me the same tire height.
This is what she will look like. Mine is the exact same car except for RS.
You can compare to my signature picture.
Also be aware of clearance issues depending on which disc brakes you use. The rotor size is the issue.

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/vie...dir=0&img_id=6

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
jim

Talking Re: 67 wheel offset & clearance question

Getting the stock look is nice but IMHO more meat is better! I'm using 15x8's at all 4 corners w/ 4.5 inch offset (back spacing) in the back, 5 inch in front due to adding disk brakes. Disk brakes will move the hub mount out .5 inch up front. I'm running 225-60 in front 245-60 in back. I was told a 235-60 will work up front and my 275-60 slicks fit fine out back. I will upgrade eventually to at least 17 inch rims so I can put bigger brakes on her and they look sweet!

67 RS Deluxe Int. A/C car
TKO-600
400 4 bolt block .03 over
Ported 215 Pro1 Platinums
Forged/balanced 400 crank, pistons, 6" rods
286HR cam w/1.6 rckrs LS1 beehives
Forgelines, 18"f 19"r, 4 link w/ minitub
IROC s/gear, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode