newbie, steering wheel questions. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

newbie, steering wheel questions.

Hi Everyone-

I'm new and looking forward to your guidance with a couple questions. My car is a 1967 RS, 327/275hp, Glide(soon to be TKO), Turqoise in/out, 12Bolt posi 2.73(yuck!).

My first question- and I hope this is the right area to post it- can anyone tell me the diameter and depth of the 67 walnut wood steering wheel or the 69 comfort grip wheel. I am looking to replace the 16" RS deluxe wheel I have now becuse I hate it. (too large and thin)

Rick's doesn't seem to want to help me with this question.

Thanks for any help.

~Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 03:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: newbie, steering wheel questions.

Hey Tom....

THe wood wheel is 4" deep and 16" across so going that route is not going to help you. The Grant wood wheel I believe will suit you better because its 14" or 15 " and the right 4" depth. The picture below is from Jim's Car here on T/C

http://home.comcast.net/~Jimragtop2/clean/car6.jpg

Kev
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech

Tom...with the 275 hp, and an upgrade coming to replace the glide...you just might grow to appreciate that 2.73, if the gas prices continue to esculate. Just a thought.

capt

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Jim and I have the same nostalgia series wheels. He has the wood grip and I have the comfort grip. I had the same dislikes with my stock wheel. I do miss response from my 14" Grant in parking lots but, on the street and at the track the 15" is much safer.

Classic Nostalgia Model 967 15" diameter, 4-1/8" dish
Classic Nostalgia Model 969 15" diameter, 4-1/8" dish

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Capt,
I agree. I'll try it out this year and maybe make the move up to 3.36 or 3.55 next year. Usually, I am just chugging around Melrose MA at about 40 mph. The drag is that with the 'glides low(1.82?) and the 2.73's out back it's not much fun off the line. I know the deep first in the TKO will help a lot. I am curious about the gas mileage as I plan to do more highway with it this summer. Last year it got about 12 around town but never had it on the highway long enough to calculate mileage. I've got some more QJ tuning to go- getting the choke and idle mixtures set right on this thing is a bear!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Thanks, everyone for your input. Rick's did finally answer my email and said that the depth of the comfort grip was 2 3/4" and 16" dia. He also offered that the vette wheels are "substantially flatter than Camaro's". Looking at some vette parts websites, I think I may be able to go with a 69-72 vette wheel which looks just like the comfort grip but is 15" and not so deep. I guess I'll have to go see some at car shows before I buy.

Thanks again.
~T
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 12:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

You may not be happy with the later year wheels.
The difference in depth is because the key was moved to the column in 69.
The spacing difference is due that change.

If you don't want to have to slide your seat up closer (or straighten your arms out more)-
keep it as the original configuration.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Thanks, Jeff- good thought. I've got long arms and legs and drive with the seat all the way back now. I'll be keeping the original parts so I can always change it back if I don't like it.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Got any pix of your car? I happen to like K-K code 67's There aren't that many of them left.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Jim,

I guess there weren't very many KK's to start with? I'll post a pic when I get my act together. I'm on the fence about the color. I'm told my Grandma picked it. The car was bought new by my Grandad. The deluxe interior is turquoise also. So it's original but , maybe I'll add a black bumblebee stripe and vinyl roof to break it up a little when I get around to the bodywork - that's a while off yet. It's a "15 footer" aside from the new primered fenders. For now, I kind of like the fact that I'm the only person at the local cruise who'll sit on the fender of his car without worrying about it!
How can I see a pic of yours?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Watch out of if you reduce the dish and diameter--you'll be hitting your knuckles on the dashpad.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 02:47 PM

so you want a 'KK' car pic, okay, how about this '68? :)

Was looking for a "driver", and bought this from a gent in Portland, OR. He met me at the airport in the car, and I drove it back (620 miles!) to the SF Bay Area in eleven hours. I guess it's a driver...

The thin, large steering wheel is perhaps not ideal, but it's original, as is almost everything on this car except the wheels (originals rode along as spares in the trunk and back seat) and the interior door panels, and the AM/FM/8Track. Factory A/C still works! 327/4bbl, 2spd PG, original glass, original body, P-O-P, and a mostly decent (15'-20') repaint to the 'Tripoli Turquoise'. Driver's seat lacks padding, ouch.

Pulled the seats out to see what's under, and found the jute padding, some sort of (original, must be) sound deadener composite of cardboard and asphalt. Key buzzer works, console light and high beam indicator, pretty funky coolness all the way around.

Found $0.61 in the flooring, along with a cheap wristwatch, partial packet of old Lifesavers (Wintergreen), and a tiny little cardboard rectangle with the remnants of what looks like a miniature license plate printed on one side. The bits that show match the black/yellow CA plates that came with the car. Maybe an old DMV relic. But adding up the loose change, I'm already making money on this deal, right?

Last edited by nate haler; Mar 28th, 08 at 02:59 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 08, 03:01 PM
Tech Team
Jakob

The Grant Nostalgias are bolt on, right? No need for installation kit?

'69 Camaro SS X22 - finally arrived
Pics and details coming soon
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 08, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

correct you can use the stock hub

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 08, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Hey Bill, from post #12. Very sweet original car, and for bout a million dollars you can probably get a nice woodgrain ashtray on ebay :-)

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode