SS or RS - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

SS or RS

at the risk of sounding like a total newbie, upon first reviewing a car, what are the things to look for to tell an SS from RS.. with people putting taking badges off and putting others on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 10:58 AM
Team Member
Matt

Re: SS or RS

A car can be an RS/SS. They are separate options. Some cars were plain jane, some RS, some SS, some RS/SS.

What to look for (beyond badges):

RS cars have hide-a-way headlights, reverse lights on the lower back valance, and parking lights on the lower front valance. The brake lens will be all red and not red/clear.
RS cars have electrical (or vacuum) equipment to open/close the hide-a-way doors.
I believe the RS option is listed on the cowl tag. (I know it is on ‘67s).
RS features are more difficult to fake. The hide-a-way doors are not an easy (slap on) upgrade.

SS is a bit different. A 327 can be made to look like a 350 with a few stickers and/or emblems.

What is your experience with Camaros? (You said you are a total newbie.) Are you looking for general information or more detailed stuff?

For example, the car has 350, but you are still wondering if it is an SS (despite the emblems). If that is the case, you might look for:
- 12 bolt rear end (correct date code)
- cowl tag on a ‘67
- motor numbers (correct date)

There are many more. Do a search for “is my car a SS?” and other variations.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 04:11 PM
Team Member
Matt

I see your signature says “looking for a Z”. That’s another can o’ worms. SS and Z ‘re-badging’ is common. If you are looking for a real Z then I recommend you do a lot of research (here and in books). There are fake cars out there. Some are done with good intensions—clones, re-creations, etc. Some are done to deceive would-be buys. Be careful. Know what you are buying before you hand over your money. Don’t assume anything. These cars are 40 years old and more often than not, they have been ‘tweaked’ over the years. There are very few original Z’s out there. (Original meaning original motor.)

I see you’re in Simi. I use to live in Ventura. While there, I looked all over for a ’67 RS. I saw a promising add for a ‘project’ car in Oxnard. I drove over and looked at it. It was a subframe, half a body, and one wheel . . . $5500. Sheesh!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Matt:

thanks for the info, very helpful. sorry to waste your time on the Z part.. no longer looking for a Z. I tried to get that taken off there by modifying my profile but couldn't get it off. I'm looking for a 69 Camaro, non-RS (I like the exposed headlamps), SS would be great. to be honest, I'm not that interested in the matching numbers on the motor. (I'm even looking at one that has a '70 motor (350) in it

|
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

sorry, so an SS should always be a 350, never 327?

|
|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 07:27 AM
Retired
Jim

NEVER 327, ever.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 08:14 AM
Team Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
sorry, so an SS should always be a 350, never 327?
350 does not guarantee SS (not in '69). The motor combinations vary from year.

This is from camaros.org (http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml)

Non-SS = L6 (230ci or 250ci), V8 (327ci, 307ci, 350ci/255HP, 350ci/250HP)
SS = V8 (350ci/295HP, 396ci)
Z28 = V8 302ci
COPO = V8 427ci

This is an abbreviated list. Check the link. For 69, not all 350s = SS.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

Go here

http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

Read up on the ID part for each model year, as each year is different. For example, all 69 SS cars came with power front disc brakes, but that was not required in 67 or 68. All SS had a 12-bolt rear, except some 69s with the SS350/Glide combo.

Things that people forget to fake include hood hinges (the domed SS hood required a spring with more coils, 28 vs. the standard 26), and the dual exhaust reinforcement plate on left frame rail (69 coupes only).

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 08:32 AM
Team Member
Matt

Like Eric said, I recommend you spend some time at camaros.org. Print off the vin and cowl tag decode pages and take them with you when you go Camaro shopping.

There have been a few posts here about people buying cars with non-Camaro vins or re-pop cowl tags. I can think of two posts in the last year or two. Don’t buy a car with a suspicious vin or title. You don’t want to buy a car, dump a bunch of money into it, and then find out it was stolen.
Same can be said for the cowl tag. You don’t want to pay for a SS and then find out that someone ‘upgraded’ the cowl tag.

I hate to be so doom and gloom. The majority of sellers won’t try to deceive you, but there will always be a few bad eggs.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode